WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Fall on the Olympic Peninsula

Boolit Master

Fall on the Olympic Peninsula

Yesterday evening proved quite interesting. Both bears that left treasures on our lawn yesterday showed up under our honeycrisp apple. First at 9PM while watching "We were Soldiers, We were Young" I went out on the deck during the ad and spotlighted the tree and there was a huge boar bear easily 400#. The light froze him and I yelled but he couldn't care less so I grabbed my 357 MAX carbine and put a shot behind him very close. Off he went. 15 minutes later during the next ad, I took the spotlight again and there was the second bear, smaller but still around 200#. Off he went without the warning shot this time. In both cases they presented easy broadside shots in full view but chasing a shot bear at night into the thick woods may not be a good idea.
    Both our apple trees are safe for the moment.
    I think I will switch rifles for that big guy.

Moderator Emeritus

My sister and b.i.l. reside in Port Townsend, Wa -- about 21 miles north of you. I'm copying/send your post to them, as I'm certain they will have interest. They live a few miles off paved road, with a 550 foot driveway thereafter to their house.
    geo

I Saw Big Poop on my walking trail So I always keep my eyes open here in Chimacum just up the road from ya.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

My son lived in Port Angeles for a few years. His best friend is a teacher there now.

Boolit Master
    The bear ate yo’ Honey Crisp!!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Apparently both bears got the message as they haven't returned. I am looking forward to the roasts and all the smoked sausages. Darn! We know they aren't around because our "yard deer " are back waiting for the thump of falling apples. There is at least another 50# of honey crisps on the three an we have already harvested a bunch to store. We are thankful that the bears didn't know about our huge crop of peaches last month.

Boolit Master
    Now we have had three bears in, a small (150#), a medium (250#), and a large (350#+). I think I got a little too close with the big one and burned his rump a bit. He hasn't been back. The small one is a DANGEROUS bear with an attitude and needs to lethally removed. He has no fear of people or loud noises (being shot over) and has even challenged both of us. If I don't get him, the state may have to kill him since he has been trapped once before and hauled 20 miles away last spring. He came in this morning when I was out deer hunting and seems to know when I am not home. The medium bear is new and we don't know his personality yet.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend of mine who lives up by Kingston lost a pear tree a few weeks ago to a bear. He said that it was a good sized tree and that he thinks this bear is pretty big. He normally keeps a 300 BO handy for home defense. He said that he has swapped it out in favor of his 45-70 guide gun.

I lived in Port Hadlock for about twelve years. I miss it. But I don’t miss driving over that bridge everyday.

JM

Boolit Master
    That lil’ bear must of OD’ed on crab apples at some point!

We feed cull apples that fall below juicer grade to our cattle during the winter and we get a few bears before and after hibernation but no crabby ones that we know of. These apples are not that close to our houses so we may have some borderline characters and do not realize it.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    That lil’ bear must of OD’ed on crab apples at some point!

We feed cull apples that fall below juicer grade to our cattle during the winter and we get a few bears before and after hibernation but no crabby ones that we know of. These apples are not that close to our houses so we may have some borderline characters and do not realize it.

Three44s
    Your cattle must love you for those apples. Some years ago before we moved to the OP a neighbor and I raised bison for 10-12 years. In the fall we would occasionally give them leavings from a local cider presser. The "buffs" could smell us when we entered the pasture and wouldn't let us out of the truck they were so excited. We had to drive in circles around the pasture at 25 mph to wear out the herd out so we could dump 32 gallon trash cans full of pulp. You haven't enjoyed a real primal experience until you are driving at 25 mph and the nose of a heavily breathing 2200# bison bull sticks his nose into the passenger window 12" away trying to get you to stop.