MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .45-70 too short?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The lever evolution factory brass is indeed shorter than the standard saami spec 45-70 brass
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    You will not be happy shooting PC boolits with black powder!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iwottopq View Post
    ...and this is the only ammo that I loaded and below a bullet...
    You can note how the bullet is in the case...
    I shoot powder coated bullets out of my Trapdoor with smokeless and with Goex. But you have to lube them if using black powder.

In Remembrance
    Nino, in my opinion, if the cartridges you loaded will chamber in your rifle, they will be safe to shoot. 60 grains of ffg black powder is 60 grains whether it is heavily compressed or only slightly compressed. Not like smokeless powder where pressures will be greatly increased.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master

1) you cannot compress black powder too much - you will bulge the case first, i.e. push the sides out from the pressure.

2) if you can get the cartridge in your chamber it will safely fire. If you can't chamber it find out why and change that.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

That 187(4) Sharps will eat any (true) Black Powder load you can fill/stuff/compress into the case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by iwottopq View Post
    Today I was reloading some .45-70 ammo wigh 60 grains of FFg Chdddite BP.
    Ciao
    Nino
    Nino,

Are you using a true Black Powder (an old formula powder as used in the 1800's and before, made of Potassium Nitrate, Sulfur, and charcoal), or a newer SMOKELESS powder that is derived from Nitrocellulose/Nitroglycerine?
    I looked up the Cheddite page, and couldn't see any black powder offered, only modern smokeless.
    If you are using a smokeless powder, and 60 grains of it, you most likely have a very dangerous load.
    I would NOT shoot anything until you have read up or studied a bit more to make SURE that what you are using is safe.
    Best of Luck!

-Tom

Boolit Master
    The OP obviously wasn’t following a published load recipe for 45-70.
    A simple google search for an image of a loaded 45-70 cartridge shows more bullet outside the case. And powder coated, with BP? Well maybe for one shot.

The bullet seated in the picture looks short to me but as others have said if it will chamber then it’s safe with real black powder. I run a 405gr Lyman bullet on 56 gr of ffg at whatever the max OAL is for that bullet is. I also use .060” of card wad between bullet and powder. It’s a nice accurate round that doesn’t kick the poo out of me. I think the only problem you’ll have is fouling from your powder coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Man
    I've never heard of Cheddite making black powder. First I'd make sure that the powder that you're using is real black powder and not a subsitute.

If it is real black powder, I wouldn't worry about shooting it as Pedersoli proofs the gun with smokeless powder.

I'll post script that statement with if the powder is indeed FFG and not FFFFG. FFFFG will cause significant pressure issues, and may result in you or others enjoying a long visit with Saint Peter.

I would recomend that you invest in some good lube for those powder coated bullets. You can make a pretty good basic lube with about 50% bee's wax, and 50% olive oil by volume.

Good luck.

BT

I'll try my hand at translation into Italian... all be it probably totally incorrectly. Thanks Google Translate.

--------------------------------

Non ho mai sentito parlare di Cheddite che produce polvere nera. In primo luogo mi assicurerei che la polvere che stai usando sia vera polvere nera e non un subsitute.

Se fosse vera polvere nera, non mi preoccuperei di spararla come Pedersoli prova la pistola con polvere senza fumo.

Io posto script che dichiarazione con se la polvere è davvero FFG e non FFFFG. FFFFG causerà notevoli problemi di pressione e potrebbe comportare una lunga visita con San Pietro.

Vi consiglio di investire in qualche buon lubrificante per quei proiettili rivestiti in polvere. Si può fare un lubrificante di base abbastanza buono con circa 50% cera d'api, e 50% di olio d'oliva per volume.

Buona Fortuna.
    NRA-Life Member
    Dabbler in Holy Black and Heathen Smokeless

"There are very few situations in life that cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12