WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about the .257 Bob

How about the .257 Bob

Formally known as the .257 Roberts. A good old friend just picked up a nice Mod.70 in the .257, and we're going to work up a load for it. I just got the dies and 400 Speer 120gr. btsp's. Will be using H4895 since I have lots on hand. Nosler load data says start @30grs, max @34grs.
    https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/257-roberts/
    Michigan white tails out to about 200yds. is the goal. So, anyone have experience with this fine old cartridge? I see some +p data floating around, but I doubt we'll be going there. What say the collective? Any advice going forward would be greatly appreciated.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.257_Roberts

Boolit Buddy
    I liked Nosler's 117 grain semi-spitzer partition and IMR-4350 in my Model 70. Did a fine job on Kentucky whitetails. Was the loaner rifle for many a first time hunter. When Nosler discontinued the 117, I bought all I could find.

Boolit Master

Yep.
    Grew up on it. Used the Hornady 117gn RN over H4895 and 100gr Spire Point with the same Powder.
    Could keep both Bullets into 1 1/2" at 100yrds with the open sights that came on the Rifle when it was built in the late 1930's. I was young with Good Eyes.
    Was built to take the short Factory Loaded 117gr RN, NO FREEBORE AT ALL. For some reason when it was passed down to My DAD from My Grandpa and to me. None of Us every had the Mag box, bolt stop and throat worked over. Or even rework the bolt and put a scope on it.
    Grandpa had it built so he could have a lighter recoiling rifle. Got a piece of shrapnel in his shoulder during WW1. Twenty years later it caught up to him.

All his Grandsons used it for their 1st Deer.

I love the Cartridge and the Caliber.

Sorry I can't remember exact powder charges. Can't get out to the garage to check my loading data. Wouldn't want to give you bad info. You hafta work up loads anyway.
    And you should check Hodgdon Website anyway, when you start working up loads.

Good Luck, have fun.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    Been one of my two favorites along with the 250-3000 for a long time. Favorite load is enough H4350 to hit 3050 fps with any good 100 gr bullet. It's taken several mature whitetail bucks at various ranges and antelope to just over 400 yards. I have yet to catch a 100 grain bullet in an whitetail, so haven't seen the need for bigger bullets though I do have 115 Ballistic Tips and Partitions on hand for when the mood strikes.

Boolit Master
    A lot of the youngsters growing up in Pennsylvania cut their centerfire teeth on that rifle. I was moved back to North Carolina before I had the opportunity to fire one. I still haven't fired one. I learned with single shot shotguns......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Sierra reloading data book used to have it. Check with them if you can't find data. I know it was in my 3rd edition.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have been a 250 Savage and a 25 ought 6 Remington man for years and years. I expect the Roberts to be equally fine, killing any deer on Earth.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I built a nice one on a Brno Mauser action with a Shilen barrel. My oldest son has it now. It has accounted for several deer in PA and MD - and I miss it! I don't hunt any more - too many physical issues for that, unfortunately. I may just build another one once I return to the States.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

the 257 Roberts...an iconic western cartridge. Drop the “Bob” though, it’s hurtful to that historic load! Enjoy shooting it.

Boolit Master
    The Roberts is a very fine cartridge and certainly has enough boiler room for a 120 gr bullet. But if you find you are having stabilization issues with such a long projectile your twist might be shy.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    I have two, one a 1976 standard weight Ruger M77 that only shoots well with the now-discontinued Nosler Solid Base 100 gr bullet and IMR 4320 powder. The other is a M77 Mk2 Ultralight that insists on a Speer 120 gr BTSP and Hodgdon H100V powder. Between them, the Roberts cartridge has accounted for 45 whitetails with 45 shots.

Boolit Master
    H4350 and your favorite 100 grain bullet. That's what my M70 Featherweight like to shoot.

+1 on the 4350. I use IMR with 120 gr. Speer bullets. The load came from a Jack O’Connor book and is a bit warm to publish here. I ran it over my newly acquired chronograph in Texas heat 25+ years ago and was VERY surprised to see near 270 Winchester velocities. Primers seemed fine, and I know that isn’t a good indication of pressure, but I will use up the rest of that particular box of ammo sometime in the next 30 years at my current Roberts shooting pace. My deer hunting is done with cast now, but I know the Roberts is there if I really need it.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    My Ruger 77 MK II, too! 100 gr ~ 7/8" @ 100
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Speed View Post
    the 257 Roberts...an iconic western cartridge. Drop the “Bob” though, it’s hurtful to that historic load! Enjoy shooting it.
    What He said!
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Buddy
    I just got mine up and running, so not too much load workup yet. I have found that mine does not like Nosler's 100 gr E-tip(copper) bullets. I am pretty sure that they are just too long to be stabilized by a 1 in 10" twist.

Boolit Master
    Perhaps it is the length of an all copper 100 gr but it could be that the bore needs to be very clean before switching jacket material?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    H414 worked very well in one rifle I used (Rem 722) some time ago

Boolit Master

4350 and 120 gr bullet.
    my old Remington will shoot 1" or less at 100 yds with that load.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

My older Ruger 77, tang saftey, shot Nosler 115gr BT's over RL22 much better than any of the 120gr bullets. H414 and H3831 shot well also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast