RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7mm Remington Magnum

Boolit Master

7mm Remington Magnum

So I grabbed two boxes of brass and set to make up some ladder loads for later next weekend.

Lubed, re sized, cleaned, trimmed, de burred, primed with CCI MAG RIFLE.. went to powder and my 7828 is almost empty, RL 25 is same... RL22 gone, 4831 gone half a can of SC4831. I have most of a 8# of 4350, but have t seen good results in the big7.

Need to take a trip and re planish. Im not really big on newer powders maybe its a good time to try one/ two...

So, what are you guys liking for powders reloading the Big7?

BTW I picked up 500 pcs old stock 160g Speers last week. Thats what ill be using.

Thank you all.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have used H1000 forever in 7mag with 160 gr bullets. But I have been messing with RL22 lately with great results also.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I don't shoot 7Mag any more but I always had very good results- 1" at 125 yd. usually with 3 holes touching-,
    with about 10% under max. of IMR 4831 in a Rem. 700BDL that was bedded, barrel floated, trigger tuned to 3lb.,
    a 40mm Simmons 6x fixed power scope in Redfield steel rings, on a one piece Leupold mount, and a speedlock firing pin..

I never fired it more than about 300 yards, so I didn't really need the extra horsepower of a full house load.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-20-2019 at 09:34 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

You didn't say which 4350, IMR or H. I personally like 57.0 gr. H450 with that bullet, but H450 is not available anymore.

Boolit Master
    Bought my 7mag in 1973 and have always used H4831. Noticed that Sierra has come out with loads for some of the newer powders that are quite impressive. Retumbo looks interesting. Since my elk hunting days are behind me I mostly shoot 140’s these days for white tails and antelope.

H1000, Retumbo, or if you want super speed RL26 (hard to find).

Boolit Master

Thank you much for the link OS444!

I think I have a partial can of H450! If discontinued... fat lotta good IT is!

Ill probably get 7828 and which ever one they may have.. RL22 has been good for me too. But H1000 is well liked too. I should keep 4831 on hand its good for many and a go to for the 270. (I dont have one but my Brother does)

Thanks guy! Keep the comments coming!

CW

Boolit Buddy
    I've always used 4831 with great results. I won't change until it's not made any more. I use Sierra 168 gr. hpbt with max powder load.
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 09-20-2019 at 10:58 PM.

Boolit Man
    160g
    Work up to this load in your rifleem brass

R1/2 primer
    61g IMR 4350 max at 3000
    Rem 9

Boolit Master
    Remington 700 stainless 7 Rem Mag Speer 145 BT REM 9 1/2 Mag primer Max charge of H4831 three groups in a row .460” for three shots each

Color me happy!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

I guess I am the odd man out as I would buy the old surplus powders 860 and 872 whatever and use them , shot mine the other day , maybe not as fast as some of the canister stuff out there but it always gets the job done and price was right. I use the old surplus hodgdon 4831 for my 270

Boolit Master
    I have a good sized jug of Ramshot Magnum I have been thinking of trying in my Rem 7’s.

A spherical powder has it’s advantage when it comes to metering.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

ackleyman,

My Dad was a Lefty, I bought him a Rem 700LH in 7mmRemMag in 1974. To replace the Weatherby Custom .300 he bought in 1952, Brevex Magnum Action. Stepdaughter's boyfriend stole it.

The load you mentioned was the exact load he settled on that summer, never tried another. 3 shots under an inch at 100yrds with Sierra 160gr SPBT, switch to NOSLER 160gr Partitions, 3 shots into an 1 1/4".

Took a 6x6 Elk that fall with it. A BIG FAT Muley, wide rack. only time he managed both on the same Hunt.

Thank The Good Lord We were Horsebacking it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned

4831 and re22 have always been my favorite powders in the 7mag. Favorite bullets are the 150 ballistic tip and 150 flat base sierra pro hunter.

In Remembrance

I loaded for 2 different 7 Rem. Mags. at 1 time. Both favored Nosler partition bullets of different weights. Both favored Federal LR Mag. primers in Federal brass. Both really liked H-4831 at either near or at max loads. Both were sighted in at 250 yards with all bullet weights used.Robert

Boolit Master

Fed 215 primer, WC 860 powder 162 Hornady BTSP. An inexpensive load that puts them down quick for my sons and I.

Second vote on the WC 860. Almost a compressed load under 165 gr prohunter CCI LRMPs.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys!

When I got back down there to load, in my notes I saw a 63g lod of AA3100. I never thought to look for 3100. Lo and behold I had a full pound and most of a full pound. I would not have written it down if it wasn't a good loading. So I laddered 20rnds W/62,62.5,63 & 63.5. 63 shot 3/4” @ 100!

I didnt chrono but imagine its in the mid/upper 2800 fps range. Good enough for MrWhitetail inside 300!

Ill Load more and take it to 200 to prove.

I need to swap triggers, this one is factory interarms and altho quite clean, its 6# ish. I have a drop in. Also noticed the barrel walking horizontally with heat. From cold fifth shot was 1/2”+ right all four strings. So while out of the stock, I need to check bedding.

CW

I've been using H4831SC lately with 162gr Hornady's and while it is not the fastest, it is very accurate and runs about 2950fps (fast enough). My "go to power" powder is IMR7828 with RL22 a close second. I've used IMR4350 for 140, 150, and 160gr bullets with very favorable results, but it tends to be a bit pressure sensitive when trying to wring Max velocity out of my rifle, especially with 160gr bullets. I've found 4350 works well for "mid-range" loads where I can duplicate .280Rem velocities with moderate recoil and good accuracy (I've got a lot of that powder for other calibers).

Boolit Man
    Retumbo.... IMR 7977....IMR 8133

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast