RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Load Data

Thread: Loose Sprue plate screw

Boolit Buddy

Loose Sprue plate screw

When I am casting bullets I sometimes find the screw that keeps the shear plate on top of my mold loosens. I think this might cause weight variations as I never seem to keep my bullet weights as consistent as most people. Is there something I can put on the screw threads that will keep it from becoming loose and that would stand the heat ?.

Boolit Master
    Does it have a lock screw on it?
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Master
    No just D+T the side of the block holding the sprue bolt , like RCBS/Lyman and others . Look on line for photo ,I find on Lee molds it"s the 1st thing I do

Boolit Grand Master

Most blocks have a set screw on the sprue plate screw. Lees don't but it can be added easily with a drill press and tap. another way that may work is a set screw in the hole and fitted to where the screw bottoms out on it when tension is right. On Lee moulds the later wont work since the sprue screw is a coarser thread than available set screws. On mpulds that use a shoulder bolt for the sprue screw a longer shoulder can be found and cut down to fit bottomed out. ANother thing that may help is a "wave" washer under the screw to provide spring tension on the plate

Banned
    If you LIGHTLY lube (with 2 cycle engine Synthetic Oil Mix) the sprue plate /screw pivot point, top of mold and bottom of sprue-plate when the mold is new and every time you use it, it usually doesn't come loose.

When I say lightly I mean just a little/very small drop then wipe off any excess on the screw and apply to the top of the mold (with boolits in the mold cavities) and bottom of sprue-plate with a lightly dampened cotton swab again making sure to wipe off ALL excess. Use this same cotton swab to touch the alignment pins.

If this oil gets in a cavity you can either burn it out or let the mold cool and clean with solvent then dish soap.

Since your screw is already loose, Loctite is a temporary fix, some put strands of steel wool in the screw hole to tighten it,

I choose to drill and tap a set screw [hand drill will work fine, doesn't have to be perfectly straight] I use either a 10/32 brass set screw or put a small piece of lead shot or a scrap of lead between the set screw and the sprue screw

Search -- lementing lee molds

Boolit Buddy
    I found the set screw and have the screw snugged down. Now I have a different problem. The bases of my bullets are beginning to get rounded rather than squared off and I cannot find what I am doing wrong.

Boolit Grand Master

tightening the set screw may have changed the tension on the sprue plate not letting it vent as well. You may need to adjust it a little

Too tight a sprue plate will cause the bottom of the bullet to not fill out completely. You can loosen it or break the inside top of the mould blocks lightly to vent. Having too small a sprue puddle will cause this too.

Banned
    Before you start making permanent alterations to your mold, try a larger sprue. I think your bullet bases will form just fine if you have a properly adjusted sprue plate and plenty of molten lead on top of the cavity when filling the mold.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-21-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling error

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Too tight a sprue plate will cause the bottom of the bullet to not fill out completely. You can loosen it or break the inside top of the mould blocks lightly to vent. Having too small a sprue puddle will cause this too.
    ^^^^^^^^^ this. P &P It is sprue not spur, I know we are all cowboys at heart but come on!
    Charter Member #148

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^ this. P &P It is sprue not spur, I know we are all cowboys at heart but come on!
    You're right. I corrected it. Don't know what happened there.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-21-2019 at 01:13 PM.

Banned
    When setting my sprue plate screw, I sinch it down only to the point where it moves freely and I can't see light between the plate and the top of the mold.

Pour fill out can be caused by a cold sprue plate, cold mold, cold alloy, not enough tin, to small a puddle.

When I start casting I pressure pour the first few boolits -- get good fill out and finishes warming up the plate and mold (if I didn't leave the mold on the hot plate long enough before starting)

Boolit Buddy
    I loosened the screw a little and it seems better. I think I have it adjusted just about right but every once in a while I get one that does not have a squared base. I think I am causing an air pocket the way I am pouring and am working on that.

Boolit Grand Master

You can break the top edge of the mold just a tiny bit to let air escape just like Bazoo recommended. I use a diamond hone to put a very small 45* bevel on both halves of the mold that rest under the sprue plate, it works.
    Charter Member #148

If I have trouble, I pour extra lead over the puddle and let it run down the side of the mould, pressure casting basically. This helps get real good fill out. This helps keep the sprue plate good and hot too.

You didn't mention what alloy you're running. I run wheel weight alloy and not having the best fill out is common unless I add some tin. Because WW alloys will vary, I have had them pour excellent without tin, but more often have had to add the smallest amount to get crisp corners.

I also use a diamond stone when breaking the edge on a mould. I use a fine stone and just give it 3-4 licks. Just enough to see the line, .002-.003. You have to be careful not to do too much or you'll get the occasional fin.

I like DMT stones for knife sharpening, so I keep one handy.

Boolit Master
    If you're casting for semi-auto pistol bullets, I wouldn't even worry about a rounded base.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    If you're casting for semi-auto pistol bullets, I wouldn't even worry about a rounded base.
    I have let a mess of them go, especially when I was starting out and making more bad bullets than perfect bullets. Nothing wrong with using less than perfect bullets for plinking. I reject any inclusions, or rounded driving bands however.

Boolit Buddy
    Country Gent and Bazoo hit the nail on the head, I had the plate too tight to allow air to escape. I adjusted it until I got good bullets and then hit the ground running. This sight and the people on it have been a blessing.

Boolit Grand Master

Jednorris, Sometimes it takes a little adjusting to get everything just right, but when you do very good bullets drop almost effortlessly from the mould. It may take a little break in ecperimenting but it can be done.
    Also remember when your casting cast, when your sorting sort don't try and do both at the same time.

And a quick reminder, No matter how shiny and pretty that new bullet is laying there Its still HOT, don't touch it.