RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craigslist Ad: Is this Linotype

Boolit Grand Master

Like I said in post #13, a quick Google search provided pictures of lead window weights. Also like I said, I've never seen lead window weights, only iron ones. But just because I've never seen one don't mean that they don't exist. Google "lead window weights" and look at the images.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Puncher View Post
    Scotner

Used your chisel scoring and BIG hammer technique to split up some lino ingots. Worked great. Grain structure on broken end looks just like your pic. Thanks for the tip.
    No problem. Glad it worked for you. When I bought from this guy before most of his linotype was still in strips. As I picked out what I wanted he dropped some of the rest into a melter and cast it into ingots. When I called him again recently he said he would sell me some more. It never occurred to me that he had melted all of the remaining strips into ingots when he closed the shop. I had to figure out how to break them down small enough to put them in a flat rate box or a cast iron pot. Finally came up with the score and break method.
    Last edited by scotner; 09-20-2019 at 10:55 PM.

Boolit Master
    You'll notice in the OP's link that the upper pile has a broken weight/pig. I'm pretty sure your not gonna do that to a steel or iron sash weight.

The lower 3 have enough shadow to reveal an indent like you realize from pouring lead or a high tin/antimony lead alloy. I get a hole in some of my pewter ingots. If you look at the lower pic in post #8 by scotner of the lino pig cross section, you'll see that same indent on the left side of his cross section.

I have pulled steel/iron and lead window weights. Could you imagine the size of the window that would need 2 of those full size weights to balance a sash? I've messed with 4'0"x6'0" 12 over 12 glass sash that couldn't handle those weights.

Boolit Master
    I am now wishing I had not ever mentioned the one looks like a window sash weight. Because it does... Even if it is not a sash weight...

See for yourself:

I just said it looks like one, & that doesn't mean it IS one...

I will say that after going & looking at the OP pic again, perhaps the upper pigs are lying up side down, so one does not see the distinctive ends from the mold imprint, but to me, there is no "slot" in the ends of most of them. A few do have what looks like a slot on "both" ends, including the broken one that looks like a sash weight. Most of the top ones & the lower ones do not look like they have the slot in the ends & that is why I said I am not convinced that they are all Lino pigs.

Anyway, I am hoping that no one is going to continue to bring up sash weights in regard to this pile of whatever they are. IMO, it is highly unlikely that they are window sash weights anyhow, even if one looks like one...

Be nice to find out if the OP, Taterhead, is going to go look at them or not. Hope they are Lino. It would be a great haul at $2 a pound I would think. Lino & typemetals are getting harder to find, or at least it is in my area. I think I was pretty lucky to run across the ones I did.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    The ingots in the ad do not look like lino. Lino ingots weigh about 22 or so pounds each. And the shape is off as well. Kinda a shot in the dock to me. Ask him to send you one (pay for it of course) and do your own tests before committing to buy the rest. Frank

Boolit Master

Now I know where My Dad got the idea for the decoy weights we used 50-60yrs ago. Of course those we sand cast of Pure Lead.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Lead sash weights are rare, but my home that was built in 1853 and remodeled at various points thereafter, definitely has flat lead sash weight plates. I have melted down about 20 as I have been replacing windows. Every house that I have done this work in before were all iron.

Boolit Master

Well I had to go back and take a second look and sure nuff they do look a bit odd to be Lino, and they do resemble sash weights, I've heard of lead sash weights just never seen one.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Buddy
    I have seen several kinds of linotype pigs. Some have a angular profile others are a radius profile I have also seen ones like those pictured. It all depends on who poured them and what mold was used. If the metal acts like lino in other respects I would not let the pig design scare you off

Why not skip this pile of confusion and go to RotoMetals and get the real deal?

It is on sale, $109 for a 45 pound box of Mono/Foundry Type . . . . $160 off the regular price of $269

https://www.rotometals.com/mono-foun...-balance-lead/
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    There are Lino Pigs in the lot . All lino pigs and the ones pictured have the hole and the slit in the top . Also Lino pig are Double ended Holes and slits. so can be picked up either way.. All the others are sash weights with flat Bottoms for Old Industrial Double Hung steel or iron windows.
    Early on I worked with Linotype machines
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Grand Master

Wondering about the outcome of this?

Boolit Master

Gentlemen. I'm quite a bit more educated on the topic, but still not confident. The danged issue I've had is schedule. Have literally not had a minute to go meet the guy. If I do, I'm probably not interested in the closed loop whatevers. Too much mystery!

Really appreciate the input. You guys are a treasure trove of good information!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12