Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Ad: Is this Linotype

Boolit Master

Craigslist Ad: Is this Linotype

This is not my ad, but I'm interested in buying. Just wanted to clear that up so that it doesn't appear that I'm in violation the CB buying/selling rules.

Is this linotype? Can you tell by looking? What else should I watch for if I contact the seller? Thanks for the expertise!

https://boise.craigslist.org/spo/d/b...968208817.html

Boolit Master

Sure looks like it, if not its a very old and good fake!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

If it is i would buy it all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Moderator Emeritus

Those look similar to typical "Linotype pigs" but not exactly.
    Google "Linotype Pig" and click images. all the images I seen when I just googled that are the typical PIG and none were shaped exactly like the ones in the ad.

I would be cautious about buying it.
    Ask questions of the seller and see if any red flags jump out at you.

If it's close by, go look at them and bring a sledge hammer along, lay one over another one (at a angle) and try to break it with the sledge. Lino is brittle and will break, but if it's a softer alloy, it'll likely bend instead.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned
    take some pencils and a 1/2 in chisel, scratch off a smooth spot and test it with the pencils.

"F" should not scratch it , "H" maybe "2H" most likely

Boolit Master
    It doesn't look like the Lino pigs I have. I think they may be something else. One thing I might point out is that the cylindrical weight that is roughly in the middle of the pic, sitting on what is supposed to be the Lino looks like an old style double hung window weight. Sometimes called a "sash weight". I have run into those back in my remodeling days when I had to rebuilt double hung windows on occasion. That is what it looks like to me from the pic anyway.

I am thinking that those weights are not Lino but were used as some sort of a weight for something else.

It would be a good idea to do some sort of a test as suggested above to test the hardness before paying for what you are looking at. That is what I would do. I even take my Lee hand held press & my Lee BHN tester with me when I go to look at unknown lead to purchase. If you have that Lee tester & some sort of a press where you could test a couple of them that would be great, other wise you are limited to some of the suggestions mentioned above.

G'Luck anyway.

P.S. - if I were a person in need of more lead & they were determined not to be Lino, I would likely offer them 80 cents to a dollar per pound & tell the seller to contact you if they do not sell at the price expected.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Great input gentlemen. Thank you!

Boolit Buddy
    Lino "pigs" and a broken ingot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lino pig.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	248551
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lino split.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master

I'm kind of like JB, those don't look quite right. The ones that I have came from different sources and look like the ones that Scotner pictured. $2 is a fair price for Linotype but is kind of high for unknown scrap, even clean scrap.

Super Moderator

It looks like it might be sash weights to me.

Boolit Master
    something there just dont look right.could be anything.unless you need lead realy bad.i would not drive far to check it out.i think a magnet would be something to take with you. just not lookin like lead of any alloy to me.it it is lead i would not pay that much.they do not look like any other lino ingots i have seen in person or in pics.This i smy rule i only buy things that i know what it is most of the time and dont pay much for any mystery lead if i do buy some.

Boolit Master

I think they are sash weights, many were built to be long, flat and thin so that they could fit between guide rails made of wood. I removed a bunch that looked like those a while back.

Boolit Grand Master

A quick Google search for lead window weights showed some images similar to those pictures. I've never seen a lead window weight personally, only iron ones. If thats not linotype I would only be willing to pay about 25% of their asking price. I can't tell much about the stuff in the bucket.

It could be lino...could be mono...or even stereo ingots. It's hard to tell...My guess is that it's a hard alloy though. pure lead generally doesn't come like that. If you can't scratch it with a fingernail...then it's harder than pure.

I doubt its window weights...they were all cast iron...take it from me....I lived in a 100 year old house in NY as a kid...and currently own a 190 year old house....it used cast iron weights for the window sashes.

As suggested by Conditor22...take a pencil set with you and give it a scratch test.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Scotner

Used your chisel scoring and BIG hammer technique to split up some lino ingots. Worked great. Grain structure on broken end looks just like your pic. Thanks for the tip.

Banned
    I can't tell anything by looking at the pictures. BUT If they are some type of hard lead $2 per lb is a good price. Even if they were Linotype, there are many different alloys of Linotype including what they call "sweeteners" which have an even higher antimony content used for getting their alloy harder if needed.

Boolit Grand Master
    looks like lino pigs to me
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I’ve never seen a lead sash weight. All the ones I’ve seen are iron, and they all had a brown rust patina. I have several of them out in the barn somewhere that I used to use for trotline weights back in the day.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

I hope it's not babbitt!

Boolit Master
    Just to be clear, I never said that one weight that "Looks Like" a sash weight is lead. All the sash weights I have ever handled have been iron.

I just commented on its look.

Hell, it could be a section of lead pipe with one end smashed & a hole drilled in it on one end.

Simply...I was just commenting on the "look" of the thing.

I don't know why it has been morphed into not being a lead sash weight, since it , as far as I can see, was not said by anyone that it was.

I might add, again, that the other "chunks" of lead claimed to be Lino, do not look like the lino pigs I have, which look extremely similar to the picture posted earlier.

Now, getting back to the deal being offered... It will all be "moot" if the OP does not go check them out.

If they turn out to be Lino by some chance, then he will likely be happy to spend $2 per pound.

If it is just unknown lead alloy, then I repeat what I said earlier , to "me", the stuff would not be worth more than $ 0.80 - $1.00 per pound if I even took the risk of buying it. I am not one to buy "unknown alloys", since they may contain zinc & other materials that I am not wanting to be in an alloy. If it has what I call, "crap" in it, then for me, it is only good for fishing sinkers & jigs & perhaps decoy weight & I have enough of them so I would not waste time on this deal.

That decision to buy or not, is up to the buyer, but until it is verified what the stuff actually is, then the conjecture about the whole deal is not worth any more time, IMO.

It is just "back & and forth" about what the things actually are, & were used for at some time.

The above is a clarification & "my" opinion , which is worth just as much as anyone elses.

Anyway...
    G'Luck! to the OP if he goes to get the stuff, and hopefully deal or not, will inform everyone what is found out by some examination of the materials or discussion with the seller to get more info about them

Enjoy the discussion about sash weights. Iron, not lead ones...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast