Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt to cease production of AR rifles for the commercial market

Boolit Master
    If they can't sell them why make them?make something that people want .

Most successful gun manufacturers are not overly focused on ARs.

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

They're going to stop making them for a consumer market that isn't buying them and devote full manufacturing capacity to military contracts that pay very well.

That doesn't sound like a bad decision to me. Especially for a company that's basically been bankrupt continually since it's inception. (the only exception being when there's a civil/world war going on)
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Colt is famous for bad decisions. As long as I can build an AR from other companies parts I'm prepared not to care. Yes, they made millions of fine guns but.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Remember when they dropped regular production of the Single Action Army Revolver...that wasn't the brightest move they ever made either .
    The market is full of other AR makers who beat colt's prices.
    Move is strictly business nothing political about it no matter how the left may try to spin it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

make anyone else nervous that they produce millions of ars for our government but wont sell one to a civilian. Wonder where that pressure is coming from??? They will pay the price. It will sour buyers and in a matter of few years the government will adopt a new battle rifle and if it isn't a colt they will be nothing but a footnote in the history books. Heck they did me a favor. I have two colt ars and today would NEVER spend what they ask for a colt ar. I could put together three new ars for the over inflated price of a colt ar. matter of fact ANY colt you buy you probably pain 25 percent or more of the price just to have a horsey on it. So in fact they just probably made the two I have worth more.

That's just nasty, One Eyed Fat Man! Those uncles- everyone has at least one!

Boolit Master

I don't see what the big deal is. Colt has a long list of firearms that have been discontinued or have been taken out of production. Some other company comes along, takes the same firearm, makes it for less money, and sells it cheaper than Colt.

Ar-15's, 1911's, Single Action Army, Black powder revolvers.

Colt can kiss my grits!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Colt also announced at the same time, it has been awarded a 42 million dollar contract to supply M4 rifles (and variants) to 13 nations. Colt needs it's entire production to go toward these contracts, hence no civilian production for the duration of this contract (until 2024).

I don't really see the angst about this. It was a sound decision on Colt's part.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Haters gonna hate

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    30 or 40 years ago a Colt made AR was more or less the benchmark. Not anymore. The $600 spent on PREMIUM parts these days will build a very nice piece of kit, better than Colt, cheaper, higher quality every which way from Sunday.
    Kinda depends on how you define "quality".

Colt builds combat rifles that work. A lot of companies either pull from the bargain basement or build race guns that might. Most of what's going on with a Colt is GI-spec / contracturally-obligated / final assembly checklist stuff that the layman isn't going to know about, care about, or abuse his equipment enough for it to matter.

In short, they're solid, but they're boring. The civilian AR market seems to run on "More Pimped Out Than Thou" where it's at least as much about style as substance. If Colt can make their money making lots of copies of the same rifle to military customers instead of the fickle civvie market, why would they do otherwise?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

good gun if you don't mind paying 500 bucks for a little horsey stamped on the side. Got a grand to spend on an ar do yourself a favor and look at stags or cmmgs. A sell out? Yup Does it bother me? Nope. Every gun they sell is grossly overpriced and they weren't going to get any of my money anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Kinda depends on how you define "quality".

Colt builds combat rifles that work. A lot of companies either pull from the bargain basement or build race guns that might. Most of what's going on with a Colt is GI-spec / contracturally-obligated / final assembly checklist stuff that the layman isn't going to know about, care about, or abuse his equipment enough for it to matter.

In short, they're solid, but they're boring. The civilian AR market seems to run on "More Pimped Out Than Thou" where it's at least as much about style as substance. If Colt can make their money making lots of copies of the same rifle to military customers instead of the fickle civvie market, why would they do otherwise?

Boolit Buddy
    They're just mad that I said their revolvers are junk.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    They're just mad that I said their revolvers are junk.
    most of what they sell is overpriced low quality. when they lose these contracts down the road, they will come crawling back to the civilian market, and probably file bankruptcy yet again.

Boolit Master
    With a saturated market and cheaper parts kits and companies outside of Colt might have been a wise marketing decision for them. But they never lowered any of their prices and as one member put it,that contract won't last forever and when it expires they will have to start selling to the civilian market or go bankrupt again. Folks that have an interest in AR's have long memories and won't forget what they have done. So maybe this time Colt may have shot themselves in the proverbial foot. How many times they have declared bankruptcy and the state may not be so agreable to refinance Colt next time around. And come election time in 2020 when another mad scramble for AR's happens Colt may find itself hanging in the wind pondering their latest decision. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

"And come election time in 2020 when another mad scramble for AR's happens Colt may find itself hanging in the wind pondering their latest decision. Frank "

With 42+ million in contracts through 2025 I seriously doubt they even notice much less care..........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    They're going to stop making them for a consumer market that isn't buying them and devote full manufacturing capacity to military contracts that pay very well.

That doesn't sound like a bad decision to me. Especially for a company that's basically been bankrupt continually since it's inception. (the only exception being when there's a civil/world war going on)

They’ve been down this road before. Then FN got many big contracts and guess what, bankruptcy. They lost their fan/kool-aid base customer.

Same song, same dance.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 09-26-2019 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    "And come election time in 2020 when another mad scramble for AR's happens Colt may find itself hanging in the wind pondering their latest decision. Frank "

With 42+ million in contracts through 2025 I seriously doubt they even notice much less care..........
    $8 million a year sounds like a lot but it isn't. Even with a margin of 50%, that is not a lot of profit over the next 5 years.

BTW, annual revenues are about $50M a year...so over 5 years, this contract is about 16% of sales. And I suspect margins will not be great.
    Don Verna

Did Colt sub out some of its commercial offerings to an AR-15 manufacturer in Texas? I'm all confused?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Did Colt sub out some of its commercial offerings to an AR-15 manufacturer in Texas? I'm all confused?

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/co...ss-first-many/
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast