Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt to cease production of AR rifles for the commercial market

Boolit Grand Master

Colt to cease production of AR rifles for the commercial market

Just saw this on the evening news...hope it is fake news
    Don Verna

Boolit Bub
    I’ve been reading about this on another forum for about a week now and heard it on the radio news this afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    With all the clones out there there’s really not much of a commercial market for them. I also believe I read somewhere that they picked up a Govt contract that would likely fill the loss in sales.

Colt is famous for bad decisions. As long as I can build an AR from other companies parts I'm prepared not to care. Yes, they made millions of fine guns but.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

If they did that, its because they aren't selling enough for it to be profitable.

Seems like it was back in the late 80's or so, they quit making and selling anything to civilians
    except large frame handguns, and only 2-3 different kinds of them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

They suspended sales. They are UAW union and they can't compete against the small leaner companies.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I don't think it has anything to do with todays political climate, I think it has a lot to do with profitability for the company.

My opinion, of course... Worth as much as anyone elses...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

not the first time colt has crapped on the civilian market. not a big loss as their stuff just isnt that good. buying a colt today is much about paying for the name, not whats in the box.

Banned

Who cares really.............the value of them just went up! Just one of many bad decisions Colt has made!

Boolit Master
    It’s all about the dollar.

Boolit Master
    yep can't sell them when everybody is building them out of 80% lowers. I got three people that will lend me the jigs to finish the machine work.

Boolit Master

Colt released a statement this morning saying they were not stopping production of the AR15 for the civilian market but only halting production because they had enough AR15 rifles out there to satisfy the needs at his time. They said "we support the Second Amendment". They have made bad decisions in the past and this may just mean they are throwing in the towel on a market they no longer can control or are able to compete. james

Perhaps they could do a run of "Lightnings"

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    I think Les Baer also quit the AR market. It wasn't profitable any more. Our range has a customer who's buying used ARs and tuning them up and reselling. the rifles usually cost him <$350, he puts about $50 into them and resells them for about $600. His volume pays the rent.

Boolit Master

It is all about profit !
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Well, gives politicians something to beat their chests about.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Everybody pretty much covered the $ aspect of this. Colt just got a big Govt Contract for M4's and they really don't need to compete in the Civilian Market. The fact that there are no less than 30 outfits making AR's and the like, and it doesn't help sales of a high priced gun that is no better than a $500 Generic Gun.

All gun and caliber development is strictly Profit Motivated. There is no other valid reason to do it as just about every conceivable type of gun and cartridge was already made before 1970.

The Latest new joke is the .350 Legend. It is a strait walled .35 Remington that can run in an AR.

Absolutely pointless IMHO>

My .02

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    All I can say is it is a gun grabbers wet dream! Since liberals cherish symbolism over substance, what could possibly please them more?

• convince the public THEY forced a gunmaker, any gunmaker, to roll over

• convince gun owners to boycott a gun company iconic as Colt

To have Colt and Remington go bust...as my great uncle used to say, "They'll have cum drops big as horse turds running down their legs."

Look at the news, they are already trying to spin it...

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

30 or 40 years ago a Colt made AR was more or less the benchmark. Not anymore. The $600 spent on PREMIUM parts these days will build a very nice piece of kit, better than Colt, cheaper, higher quality every which way from Sunday.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast