Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Boolit stability

Boolit Buddy

Boolit stability

Does it take a heavy, fat boolit longer to stabilize in flight than a lighter, slimmer boolit? Please explain your answer. Is this what the ballistic coefficient is supposed to tell us?
    EXAMPLE........ .454", 325 gr hoolit vs. .454", 225 gr boolit
    " " " " " " " .311", 180 gr boolit

Boolit Master
    So alot of factors as I understand it and may not be as connected as you mentioned in your question.

Stability includes a few other factors, barrel twist and bullet length, also velocity...so variables start to add up on top of each other but any number of sites on ballistics can help peel apart the physics involved or books such as applied ballistics or understanding rifle ballistics give a good primer on the topic.

Ballistic coefficient is a different factor...it's an external ballistic factor of how well the bullet carries it's momentum against forces of friction...like a paper towel (example I like to use) same paper towel wadded up very loosely and thrown will not go but a foot or so before slowing because of all the friction with air....but ball that paper towel up very very tight and throw it with the same amount of force and it'll make it across the room....that in a nutshell is what ballistic coefficient is a measurement of. Shape, diameter, weight and design overall (where the centers of gravity are on the bullet) matter alot with bc. Again alot of physics involved but not specifically tied to how easily a particular bullet is stabilized. Two different categories with differing factors of measurements

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Actual Page of the book, 271 at this link:
    https://ia800205.us.archive.org/1/it...ramore1943.pdf

and subsequent pages... May help.

Is just one way that things are explained in what could be considered a "laymans" , or "average persons" language.

I was recently reading this book & it came to mind again in a previous topic, but may also help here for some.

G'luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Bullets stabilize in the barrel, not the air.

Boolit Master
    Spin is what stabilizes a bullet. How much spin it takes depends primarily on weight, length and diameter. How much spin you get depends on barrel twist and velocity. There are stability calculators available on the internet for this.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Moderator Emeritus

As I see it, you are either gonna have stability, or you are not.
    If you don't get the correct spin out of the barrel, the bullet will just become less stable as time passes.

I gotta ask, what is a "slimmer boolit"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    As I see it, you are either gonna have stability, or you are not.
    If you don't get the correct spin out of the barrel, the bullet will just become less stable as time passes.

I gotta ask, what is a "slimmer boolit"
    ^^^THIS^^
    As bullets get heavier you need a faster twist or higher vel to get stability.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks JBin and John M for the references. It seems that all of the 'siences' are above my intelect, but I do find them fasinating.
    Especially Physics. Bruce