Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: My IP Address Has Been Banned

Boolit Master

My IP Address Has Been Banned

Joined in 2007 (sure seems like it was longer ago than that), been here in South Korea since 2016, working for the U.S. Army. Went to log on yesterday and my IP address has been banned. After three years. And four years here from 2008-2012 - worked fine then. Guess all them cyber attacks that I've been launching have finally caught up with me. Just seems kind of weird, coming all of a sudden. And obviously, I can still get on at work. And at home, with my VPN running a U.S. IP address. Wish the administrator would let me know the reason(s) behind this.

Am I unwanted?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

If you were banned it would say so under your name. It doesn't, and your post has appeared, so it must be some sort of computer glitch(es).

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    If you were banned it would say so under your name. It doesn't, and your post has appeared, so it must be some sort of computer glitch(es).
    Thats not what he is talking about.

There has been a large amount of spammers in the past few years.
    So large blocks of foreign IP address have been blocked.
    Republic of Korea happens to be in one of those blocks.
    Sorry but I can't unblock that just to give you access when doing so opens the board back up to a dozen cyber attacks from ROK on a daily basis.
    Please don't take it personal.

CHARLES

Boolit Master
    Deleted & shared thru PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I would say, somebody set up a block for a complete provider. I do the same when things get out of control in regards to aggressive hacking attempts from one service provider and in most of these countries, blocking these providers is the easiest thing one can do.

On my company server, I go even further and block complete countries and their published IP ranges. A burden on the server, but cuts out over 90% of hacking and spamming.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Oooooooooooo!

Boolit Master

Subscribe to an ip block/redirect, aka vpn service. Less than five dollars a month and useful for other reasons as well...

I use the following -
    https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/
    Last edited by Kevinakaq; 09-19-2019 at 09:48 PM.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Master

Continue to run things through your VPN. Your internet provider doesn't need to know what you are doing anyway. I'm in the US and still run everything through a VPN for security reasons.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

FREE OUR BROTHERS IN KOREA

sorry couldnt resist
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    FREE OUR BROTHERS IN KOREA

sorry couldnt resist
    Heck yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    Continue to run things through your VPN. Your internet provider doesn't need to know what you are doing anyway. I'm in the US and still run everything through a VPN for security reasons.
    Which makes the entire exercise, on the part of the administrators, totally pointless - when the hackers and scammers can simply do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Deleted & shared thru PM.
    Yup, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by HATCH View Post
    Thats not what he is talking about.

There has been a large amount of spammers in the past few years.
    So large blocks of foreign IP address have been blocked.
    Republic of Korea happens to be in one of those blocks.
    Sorry but I can't unblock that just to give you access when doing so opens the board back up to a dozen cyber attacks from ROK on a daily basis.
    Please don't take it personal.

CHARLES
    Okay, I got it. Most of the hacks and scams originate in this part of the world. Neither you nor I can influence that. And, when the scammers/hackers can simply log on using a VPN with a different IP address, it makes your efforts rather futile. I will likely continue to visit; just MUCH less frequently.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I used to have a similar situation at my day job. The agency I worked for had their IT block off all sited that showed sex, abuse, all the usual forbidden topics, along with any thing concerning firearms. This block existed for all of the employer's computer accesses, all departments. I was responsible for repairing and maintaining our firearms but could not get onto common sites that sold repair parts. Off I went to the IT director and explained how this was a hardship against my assigned duties. She answered "no guns, and nothing concerning guns" websites could be unlocked for viewing. Fine, I answered. If we need a $10 part to repair a firearm and cannot get it, we will (by phone call) order a replacement firearm for $400 from our local supplier. How is that going to square with our maintenance budget? She got the message and opened my computer to the sites I needed. All it took was communication to get things working again.

Boolit Buddy
    I have worked in IT for over 20 years now in various positions. Geoblocking is not a new concept and most smart places block traffic from any country they dont do business with. People dont realize how many attempts to hack from Russia, China, middle east etc every organization is facing these days. We are talking thousands a day. 90%+ are all out of US because within US those places would be shut down so blocking those specific countries is a very big deal. Yes I realize that people can use VPNs but Geoblock is just one leyer of protection and most places utilize other filters on top as well.

Also for all of you that think that VPN provide any protection to your web browsing I have some bad news for you guys. It really doesnt. It has been marketed as something its not. VPN or Virtual Private Network provides point to point encryption between you and your VPN provider but it doesnt protect your PC or your security. Its like saying here jump in my tank I'll give you a safe ride to the front line but then you have to get out and walk and your on your own. Its only secure between you and your VPN provider and once you go outside of that your on your own. Also if you think your anonymous because you use VPN I bet your wrong about that too. If you use US based VPN provider then they log your access just the same way your internet provider would and they will provide those logs to any US enforcement agency when asked. You know why? Because thats the only way they stay in business in US.

Its more important to make sure you dont visit any suspecious sites or click on strange email then to have VPN. I can work on unprotected laptop for years and not catch anything but you have to use common sense.