Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Nice .45 ACP load....

Boolit Master

Nice .45 ACP load....

I went to the range yesterday and tried a new load for .45 ACP.

RCBS 201KT boolit, 3.8 grains of IMR Red. Soft shooting, very accurate in my XDM 45. It cycles the XDM 45 with the stock recoil spring.

The brass lands about 2' away.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot and similar have long been preferred powders for the 45ACP. Shotgun powders burn clean because shotguns operate at low pressure so the powders are formulated to burn at low temps.

Banned
    The various 200 (ish) grain SWC bullets for the 45 ACP seem to be well respected.

I can't speak to the use of Red Dot but over the years I've had very good results with several of the faster pistol / shotgun powders in 45 ACP loads.

My current 45 ACP load uses the SAECO #69 bullet (a roughly 200 grain SWC profile similar but not exact version of the H&G 68 or the RCBS 201KT). That soft alloy bullet is sized to .452", lubed with White Label 50/50 and propelled by 5.2 grains of ww231. The bullet is seated so that just a sliver of front driving band protrudes above the case mouth. I honestly don't know the overall length, I set it up to feed and function in my pistols and locked the seating die down at that point. A slight taper crimp finishes the cartridge and all is right in the world.

Years ago, most of my 45 ACP loads used 230 grain bullets. When I got back in the 1911 game I went with the 200gr SWC and I couldn't be more happy with the results. It's just a great 45 ACP bullet.

When I burn up this lot of ww231, I'll likely switch over to Bullseye. In the meantime the ww231 is working beautifully. The 45 ACP really works well with the faster burning powders and there's no need to abuse the gun or the user with hot loads.

It sounds like the OP has found that joyous convergence of functioning and accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

IMR Red is different powder than Alliant Red Dot....isn't it?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned
    I assumed he was talking about Red Dot but I'm not sure.

IMR Red is one of the new powders released by IMR/Hodgdon. It seems to perform similarly to Red Dot.
    The load he stated is somewhat below the starting load listed on the Hodgdon data site.

Boolit Grand Master

I've used Red Dot and Promo for target loads in 45ACP for quite sometime. I've not used the IMR Red but the IMR Target is very clean and a great powder.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I assumed he was talking about Red Dot but I'm not sure.
    IMR Red. Red Dot is from Alliant.

IMR Red is a direct volume replacement for Red Dot if loading shot shells. You use the same bushing.

However! When loading handguns it takes less IMR Red than it does Red Dot.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    IMR Red is one of the new powders released by IMR/Hodgdon. It seems to perform similarly to Red Dot.
    The load he stated is somewhat below the starting load listed on the Hodgdon data site.
    It is below their starting load. The given starting load is a bit hot IMHO. The 3.8 gr load has cycled every .45 ACP I've tested it in.
    NRA Benefactor.

I have no problem with light loads even if they are below the published starting loads. I have a couple of those loads I use on a regular basis myself and they run my guns with the standard factory springs.

Boolit Buddy
    For nice soft target load I like either Trail Boss or WST in 45acp. Nice fluffy fast burning powders work best there.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have no problem with light loads even if they are below the published starting loads. I have a couple of those loads I use on a regular basis myself and they run my guns with the standard factory springs.
    I've tried some of the loads you've posted. They work quite well and are very fun to shoot.

I'm not sure where I got the 3.8 gr of IMR Red load but it had to be from one of the few forums I read.
    NRA Benefactor.

I don't have any experience with either Red Dot or IMR Red.
    It sounds like a good powder given all the people on this site that use and love it.
    I have quantities of other powders I need to use up before I try either Red Dot or IMR Red though.

Boolit Master

I got a good deal on a 4 lb jug of IMR Red. A couple of weeks ago I got a SCREAMING deal on a 8 lb jug of Red Dot.

$50 for the IMR Red and $57.60 for the Red Dot, I also picked up a 8 lb jug of Clays and Universal for $64 each.

I'm working on the WST I got for $10 a lb, WSF I got for $10 a lb, Ramshot Competition I got for $11.50 a lb.

I picked up 20 lbs of the WST, 7 lbs of the WSF, and 12 lbs of the Competition.

I'm pretty much set for life on the quicker burning and mid range pistol powders.
    NRA Benefactor.

Now I'm jealous.

Boolit Grand Master

You're not alone, Taz.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have used Red Dot in my .45 ACP revolver for soft bullseye competition loads. Burn rate is close to that of Bullseye powder. It works well, is quite accurate but OMG is it dirty! After a match the shooting bench in front of me is covered with black and pink flakes.

Boolit Master

Right place, right time. I've just been lucky. Gander Mountain Outdoors was closing out 8 lb kegs. There weren't any close to me...so I thought. Then someone on another forum mentioned he had gotten powder at one about 70 miles away. Off I went.

They were priced at $80 a keg. If you were a Club member you could use a coupon for an additional 20% off clearance, and a 10% off for one item. I bought 40 lbs of powder and a AR15 lower. It cost me $29 to join the club but I saved over $60 after taking in account the $29.

Strangely enough the WST was picked up when Gander Mountain closed a big store about 70 mile away in the other direction back in 2014 or 15. The Ramshot was from when bullets.com shut down.

I got a BUNCH of primers and the WSF from a garage sale. Over 15K primers, and the WSF.
    NRA Benefactor.