WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass oxidizing in leather cartridge belt.

Banned
    As others have pointed out, it's a reaction due to the chemicals used in the tanning process. Vegetable tanning reduces most of the problem but not all.

Chrome tanning (named for the chromium sulfate used in the process) is by far the most popular method to tan leather on a large industrial scale due to lower cost and higher production rate.

The solution is to avoid storing cartridges in leather loops for any extended period of time.

While we are on the subject of leather gear and firearm stuff- a leather holster or scabbard is an excellent item to carry a firearm but perhaps the worst possible device to store a firearm in.

While the chemicals used to tan leather aren't as damaging to iron and steel as they are to brass, the leather itself will hold moisture during storage. If you have ever seen a gun stored in a leather holster for years in a humid (or even occasionally humid) environment, you know the danger. I've seen some beautiful guns destroyed by long term storage in leather. I've even seen stainless steel get pitting after storage in leather.
    Leather holsters and scabbards are not long term storage devices. Always remove firearms, magazines, ammunition, knives, etc. from leather gear when you store those items.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Any type lube on the cases is a bad idea. They need to grip the chamber when fired, otherwise you get too high of a bolt face pressure. Just don't leave the cartridges in the belt. I make my cartridge belts from canvas to avoid the problem. Lacquer will cause a build up in the chamber like steel cases do. Hard to clean out.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I found a "rubberish" 5rd cartridge slide at a junk table at a small Gun Store when I was 10, .25cents. Been using it for 55+yrs. NO Verdigris.

On the other Hand when I was Cowboy Shooting, I still loaded from My cartridge belt. So I always took the cartridges out of my belt by the next day.

Only way to do it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I wonder if a coat of NuFinish would work,you could try coating a couple of cases to experiment on.

Wouldn't a varnish get clumped up in the action??

Yes it would Kev. That's why it's more advisable to treat the belt instead of the cartridges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12