RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Humidity isn't a factor with some PC's

Banned

Humidity isn't a factor with some PC's

Yes, the yellow is iffy but it's always iffy mix it with a little of something else and it's fine

copper penny didn't effect some of the colors

Yes, the yellow is iffy but it's always iffy mix it with a little of something else and it's fine

Boolit Buddy
    GRMPS, I can also say the same, usually when its wet and crappy outside I do my casting and powder coating and around here the humidity is never less that 45-50% but most of the time when Im casting etc its up around 80% and the powder just sticks and covers well, no fancy dehumidifiers or bb`s etc, I use Smokes and Eastwood powders

Cheers

Shoot that just downright bone dry. Come on down to the Gulf coast where we enjoy +91% humidity and 100 degrees at the same time.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boolit_Head View Post
    Shoot that just downright bone dry. Come on down to the Gulf coast where we enjoy +91% humidity and 100 degrees at the same time.
    LOL,Ditto That! A couple of days ago I could have cut off a chunk of air and mailed it to you guys. I will give you some powders do develop a charge better than others, but when the humidity is 100% and it is not even raining that is not the time for shake & bake. A high preheat and my tumbler can make it happen, but forget the cool whip if you want a solid single coat.

Nice job on the coating they look great.

Boolit Master

NE of Houston here

I've done shake and bake in open garage when it was raining and did OK (Smoke's powder)

seems the humidity that comes from the sun beating down is worse.

Waiting on cooler weather before casting/PC. Electric company is getting mighty rich off us customers in the summer
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

When I lived on the coastal border of CA/OR it was often quite humid outside. When I switched to ASBBPC I would shake and bake in the kitchen and cook in the garage, with the door open of course. Every powder I used, Harbor Freight or Prismatic (any solid color) came out great. Mind you, the HF ESPC could only be sprayed when it was not raining or heavy mist. I always figured if the humidity was high the paint would stick just fine due to conductivity. I KNOW it got to low humidity when they reached the oven
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

It has to do with the ability to generate static electricity more than the powder itself. If your method is very good at creating static in high humidity the PC will stick, if not it won't.

Ever notice when it's cold with low humidity it is easy to build up a static charge to shock your little brother? Same thing. (I'm 51 and my brother is 49, but I do still remember learning this lesson 40 or so years ago lol)

Boolit Master
    Well, maybe it is time to try the PC I bought from Smoke in June...I was waiting for humidity to go below 50%....thinking we might have that in the winter.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    LOL,Ditto That! A couple of days ago I could have cut off a chunk of air and mailed it to you guys. I will give you some powders do develop a charge better than others, but when the humidity is 100% and it is not even raining that is not the time for shake & bake. A high preheat and my tumbler can make it happen, but forget the cool whip if you want a solid single coat.

Nice job on the coating they look great.
    Ditto on the 100% humidity. From Wisconsin when living in Massachusetts. When I commented on 100% humidity in Wisconsin they laughed saying "When the humidity is 100% it's raining. That is not so. We have 100% humidity here almost every day in the summer.
    Being from Wisconsin, living in Tampa FL people complained about the unbearable humidity ....67%. I just chuckle. Most folks don't know how humid 100% really is. But I can tell you the powder coat knows.
    But even with that in mind, Conditor22 has done a thousand times more powder coating than me. Who can argue with his results. Just saying, "We rejoice when the humidity is only 80%."

Boolit Master
    I just checked the humidity level in my garage...71%, the highest I have seen it since I bought some cheap digital gauges, today won't be the day I try the shake-n-bake.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    It's 93% humidity here in Katy, Texas today. I don't plan on doing any coating, but if I wanted all you have to do is preheat your bullets to under 150 F degrees and coat. You will probably get the best coverage you ever had. Of course when our humidity is that high so is the air temp, not a lot of fun being outside.

Banned
    It's 93% humidity here in Katy, Texas today. I don't plan on doing any coating, but if I wanted all you have to do is preheat your bullets to under 150 F degrees and coat. You will probably get the best coverage you ever had. Of course when our humidity is that high so is the air temp, not a lot of fun being outside.
    I have tried preheating but not to any certain temp. I will try that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I have tried preheating but not to any certain temp. I will try that.
    You will need an accurate thermometer because if you get the bullets too hot you are going to end up with a sticky ball and it is important that they are kept moving during the process. A reason I prefer to use my tumbler made for the purpose.

Banned
    You will need an accurate thermometer because if you get the bullets too hot you are going to end up with a sticky ball and it is important that they are kept moving during the process. A reason I prefer to use my tumbler made for the purpose.
    Thanks for the great advise. I have an old scientific "dryer" that I got from liquidation of old lab stuff at our local university. It is very adjustable, keeps a constant slight flow of air and only goes up to about 170° F. I bought a digital thermometer for it. Haven't put it all together yet but it should work well. Now I have a reason to get it going. Thanks again