RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: 270 wcf

270 wcf

My journey began with the 270 Winchester at a very young age. Probably 7 or 8 years of age. My dad allowed me to shoot grampa's 270 which he bought for .05 cents at a punch board in Declo Idaho. A brand new model 54 Winchester in 270 WCF.

Lotza history on this very early rifle, but MY history with it was from it being Grandpa's rifle ... he died when I was 4 years old. I killed my first bull Elk with it.

My obsession with the 270 has been sustained thru the years with several 270's of my own , only to go down the road on a whim.

Just aquired my Grandad's ol '54' as my dad passed last year. It has stayed in my closet but the pain of how I aquired this family heirloom has receded enough now to inspire me to enjoy Granddads rifle again.

Naturally my tendency is towards cast boolits. Have read very little about the good ol 270 and BOOLITS.

I AM going down this path and wondered what experience lurks here with regards to the mighty 270 WCF?

Boolit Master
    270Win was my first centerfire rifle, a Winchester M70 Shadow. Still my only centerfire bolt action. I started with 10 grains of Red Dot and the Lee 277-135. I have acquired almost all of the Lyman 280 sized molds and nothing has shot better than the Lee. Whether its with Red Dot or experimenting with W748, the gun shoots better with the Lee sized 280. I use a PatMarlins Checkmaker or Hornady checks interchangeably. Keep it around 2000fps and things should go well. Id like to get an Accurate 5 cav mold in the future for mass casting. I keep around a 1000 of the 10 grain Red Dot loads loaded up and shoot it at least once a month. It has around 2000 cast rounds through it and I haven't scrubbed the barrel, just wet patches until they are clean.

So what does your Lee 277-135 drop at size diameter wise? Also ... does 10 grain Red Dot give 2000ish FPS?

Boolit Master

I too use the 270 Win. It was the first deer rifle i bought in 2013. I dont have all thise molds like above. I do use the Lee 277 mold and have also found best accuracy sizing to .280. Really there are only three or four molds in production Lee, RCBS, and two at NOE. Its nice to see another 270 Win cast bullet shooter. I would love to see a .280 hunting bullet produce. Maybe reproduce the Lee bullet with a 65% meplate, nose diameter .271, body diameter .279. Those diameters should give some good leeway for alloy comp and the bullet still fit. Increase weight to about 140 to 150g. At 150g the bullet should have enough cross section density for CPRX sized game.

I have PC, paper patch and lubed the Lee bullets and all have shot moa. The only thing that i have done that has hurt accuracy was breach seating or ball seating or what ever you want to call it. From Quickloads i have deduced it caused pressure spikes. Without actual pressure testing i cant proove it.

Red dot, Unique, tight group and ext type powders will get you around 1200 fps velocities and pretty good accuracy. Great for 50 yard targets and kids. Small game hunting.

2400 type powders get me around 1400 to 1800 fps with accuracy. Also good for small game and kids.

Reloader 7 and 4198 type powders gets me to 2050 FPS with accuracy. Good for 100 and 200 yard target work and hunting. Took a turkey with that.

BLC 2 and 4064 never got better than 2" groups at 100 yards. Velocites got around 2200 fps before falling apart. Maybe with a heavier bullet I think it would have done better.

Havent played with H4895 or 3031 yet. Its on my list of experiments.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    So what does your Lee 277-135 drop at size diameter wise? Also ... does 10 grain Red Dot give 2000ish FPS?
    My bullets drop .279 on the body and .270 on the nose.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Thanks fella's. Great info. Will get the Lee on its way.

Measured the fired case mouth's on some cases that Dad shot through the 54 and they measure out at .280 ... pretty much on the dot. Sooo ... doing what I have found to work on every rifle I have shot cast thru ... fill the throat and accuracy will happen.

Think I will contact Tom at Accurate Molds and order a .280 diameter 140 or 150 grain three banger out of aluminum. He does great work and I see his .285 7mm bullet molds that I would have him just carve the body at .280 and the nose at .271. But first the Lee to play with. I bet the Lee that is powder coated and sized .280 will do good with the rite powder and load.

I have a running affair with Trail Boss and intend on giving it a try. Have Red Dot and Unique as well as Tightgroup . 3031 and 4064 and 4350. Getting excited to begin.

Keep the hints and suggestions coming as well as the experience with Winchesters FINEST rifle cartridge.

Boolit Master

Trail boss never got as accurate as i wanted. Red Dot and Tight Group worked way better.

If Accurate Molds can make the mold I would to hear and see what he can come up with.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

RC ... look at the 28 cal molds he has for the 7mm. The 140 and 150 grains look great and having him cut them at 280 inch on the body should make a great 270 WCF boolit. His mold price is the same for modifying current diameters or having a new mold style cut or simply making one of the molds he currently makes.

Great molds for a really reasonable price. I have purchased a few of his molds, every one is top notch. Some steel, a couple brass and couple aluminum molds ... all throw good boolits.

Boolit Master

I just started group buy discussion at NOE to what they had to say. I am neive about bullet designs. I leave that up to the smart and experienced.

Lol, wife can hang me in a couples months if it the group buy comes to fruition by then without her permission.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I bought My first .270WCF in 1974. It was my first New Bolt Hunting Rifle. Took my 2nd Elk with it that fall.

For some reason I've never cast any .270WCF loads.
    Just skipped it and went down to .257 Cal, For .250S, .257R & .25-06

I ended up with My Grandpa's Rifle too. All the Boy's first Deer rifle. A M1917 in .257Rob'ts. A Beautiful 1930's Sporter, wish I still could shoot it as well as I once did.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    With the Red Dot load, I get away with using CCI Large Pistol primers. Stepping up to the 748 load, I use CCI Large Rifle primers. To expand the neck, I use an NOE plug for the LEE Universal Expander Die. Works fantastically. I also use my 310 Tong Tool to load a lot while on vacation. The Lee mold drops .2795 with WW alloy or Lyman #2. The Red Dot load is a hoot at the range. Lots of people looking at me weird and asking whats going on and asking why. I like trigger time and these loads are cheap!!! I almost always neck size only once the brass has been fired in the rifle. Anneal every other firing.

Boolit Master

I use 50% range scraps, 50% Clip on wheel weights. Comes out to about 10BHN. Heat treated COWW was noticeable more accurate. The 10BHN was still about MOA though.

~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Maveric and Tom W helped me a lot when I was starting my cast journey with rifles. I took all that I learned and applied it to 223 and had success. Good people to listen to. It won't be long and you will be on your way to all sorts of rifle related loading and casting!