RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Small Wheel Weight Score

Boolit Grand Master

Small Wheel Weight Score

Ironically, with a few newer threads about recent scores the owner of the small local tire shop here called me this morning saying he had some weights for me. So I stopped by and picked up a level full bucket! The young guy there even helped me load them! It looks like I need to make a donut run tomorrow morning! I haven't had time to sort them yet but a quick look shows a mix of clip on and stick on with a few steel weights visible. I'm still getting 60-70% lead weights from my scores around here. Hoping this bucket is too!

Boolit Grand Master

Well I started sorting weights this morning. It got hot and I quit before I got through. The lead still seems to be running 65% or more compared to the non lead weights. Most of the non lead were steel although I did find a dozen or so Zinc weights. I have been seeing a gradual increase in stick on weights over the last couple of years. Maybe I can finish sorting them in the morning!

Boolit Master

I'm seeing more Fe and fewer Zn weights. Seems the wheel weight makers are using the cheapest available materials.

Of course, Pb ratios are shrinking too. Eventually it won't be worth sorting the bucket if it on the get the few Pb weights.

Boolit Grand Master

I sorted the rest of that bucket this morning and was pleased to see the lead yield is still holding about 70%. Thats figuring both clip on and stick on weights. The largest batch of non lead was the steel stick on's. This gets the years total up to about 400#, the amount that I usually smelt at a time. I'll melt them down after hunting season.

The one I just scored netted 80# of COWW ingots, 20# of SOWW and about 45# OF zinc/steel and other garbage.

In Remembrance

I used to get the weight collection bucket for free from my buddy`s car dealership when I stopped for an oil change. I finally stopped accepting the weight pail when my sorting starting to be mostly Fe and Zn with less than 50% Pb weights. I recently got out of casting/smelting due to health reasons. My lead cache totaled 2500 +/- lbs on a highway scale, not too bad for free lead!Robert