RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Still learning

Boolit Buddy

Still learning

One question at a time, well maybe two.

Cast my first bullets today that I am happy with.

Understand they shrink for a few days.

So should I wait 3 or 4 days before I lube them? And this is the second question, what time shall I wait before loading and shooting?

These are for a 45-70

Chuck40219

Boolit Master

Bullets shrink a touch once they freeze in the mold. Thats why most molds are designed around specific alloy to compensate. Readjusting your alloy can affect finnal diameter a little bit. Antimonial lead may slightly grow over time.

I normally wait about 48 hours for hardness stabilize before using the bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Never thought about that.

Historically, after do casting for a couple hours for a day or two-
    it takes me about another week or so before I come back around and do the sizing.

If there was ever a problem, I ain't smart enough to know it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I cast and then try to PC / Size as soon as I can. Then I wait for a couple weeks. But generally, it is no problem to wait because I cast when I start running low and I'll cast a BUNCH of them.
    I did have a batch of boolits I cast / PC'd and then loaded a few just a couple days after casting and I had some bad accuracy - but they were pistol boolits. I shot some of the same batch a couple weeks later and had good accuracy. BUT it very well have been me having a bad shooting day - it does happen...
    WWG1WGA

I try not to load anything I cast for at least a week. I normally use range scrap and water quench from the mold. It takes a few days for it to get as hard as it will get.
    I will size as soon as I can. Hopefully within 24 hours. The stuff gets harder to size the longer you wait.
    There have been times I was forced to use a Lee push trough sizing die with my heavy press in order to get them close enough to size that i could run them through my lubesizer.

I tried loading and shooting some the same day I cast them. I got poor accuracy. Boolits from the same casting batch that I loaded a week later performed fine. All were shot in 38 special through a K-38 Target Masterpiece, which is superbly accurate. All were full power loads and were cast into RNFP 158 grain boolits.
    I was able to recover a few of the boolits I shot right away. The rifling had sheared nearly all the way around the boolit in every case. The ones a week later showed no such shear effect.
    I don't think they get so hard as they get tough and grip the rifling better.

A different alloy would probably give differing results depending on that alloy's properties.
    Last edited by tazman; 09-18-2019 at 10:37 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

you can size and lube right away.
    While different alloys act differently, it is likely that nothing is going to effect your 45/70 boolits in the short term.
    Tell us what your alloy is & your casting technique, and someone will likely chime in with it's aging characteristics after it has been cast.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Oh - I also got a REALLY cool mold for my 45-70 (and if I sneak it into the budget 458 socom):
    It is a NOE SC460-350-RF-AE1 RG4 cavity GC Brass mold...
    Attachment 248516

These are the cup points. I find the cup points easy to cast, the HP points hard to cast and have never cast a NOE mold with points as a flat nose...
    WWG1WGA

Boolit Master

Some alloys can get much harder as they age after casting. Sizing as soon as you can after casting makes it easier.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

And when I water drop I lubesize immediately because they get hard to size a day later.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I am not sizing. Lead is Rotometals 30 to 1. Ladle pour. Lube by setting bullets in to home made beeswax, olive oil + lanuan. (the sheep stuff)

So what I hear, don`t need to worry about shrinkage, just lube and shoot the next day?

Chuck40219

Boolit Grand Master

Got mikes? Try this; cast some bullets. Measure them after one day. Then 5 days later measure. Then 5 days after that, measure. then wait two weeks and measure again. Any shrinkage?

I don't know about, or can't remember ever worrying about "post casting curing time" and I normally cast a few hundred and store them (I have some 429421 cast mebbe a year ago, waiting for lube and sizing). I don't remember any reports on how much a particular caliber cast bullet, from a particular alloy will shrink over a specific time...

K.I.S.S.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Moderator Emeritus

As I understand it, the only measurable shrinkage of 30/1 (as well as other Pb/Sn alloys) occurs during Freeze or moments/seconds afterward. Once it's cooled to room temp, you have no worries about applying lube...and loading/shooting.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I actually find most bullets will actually get a tiny bit larger months after they are cast. It is a phenom I have witnessed with cases splitting over long term storage with lead bullets. I can only think the bullets do not shrink long term.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by 44Blam View Post
    Oh - I also got a REALLY cool mold for my 45-70 (and if I sneak it into the budget 458 socom):
    It is a NOE SC460-350-RF-AE1 RG4 cavity GC Brass mold...
    Attachment 248516

These are the cup points. I find the cup points easy to cast, the HP points hard to cast and have never cast a NOE mold with points as a flat nose...
    44Blam it seems we have a couple of the same molds ! I am seasoning that one for this weekends casting session. I have the rg2 brass gc. I am looking forward to trying hollow points.

I remember back in the 1970s and 80s casting bullets and then taking a break for a bologna sandwich and then sizing and lubing them and load them after that. But things have changed a lot since then.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master
    How long to wait after casting to lube and size? One time I waited a whole 12 hours!

Seriously, if they’re cool enough to handle and the lube won’t run off, they’re cool enough for me for most purposes. As with all things, YMMV!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    My experience has been that boolits GROW for awhile after casting. I've never seen appreciable shrinkage.
    I have definitely seem them gain up to .003" over a period of weeks or months. I generally wait a day or two after casting to size them, but usually that's just my pace.