MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersADvertise hereRotoMetals2

View Poll Results: Which press do you use/own?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single Stage

237 78.22%
  • Turret

127 41.91%
  • Progressive

160 52.81%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Which press do you use?

Boolit Master
    Co-Ax, Lyman turret, rock chucker, RCBS jr, Dillon 450 and the ?? (little one, can’t remember the name). Also 3 tru line jrs converted to 7/8-14, for little stuff( I hate changing dies)4 MEC progressives and 5 600jrs for shot, very rarely change anything on any of them. I put the one to use on the bench, swap it when I load another gage.. The Dillons go 44special and 38 special, dedicated, never change them. Most hunting loads go they the Lyman turret, one step at a time, it’s a single stage that stores the other dies for me. Target loads and load development on the coax. Probably should downsize....
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Forster coax is my main one. Sometimes take my Lee Breech Lock Hand press when i go to the range or i am traveling.

Boolit Master

I probably use the Rock Chucker the most, deprime and sizing rifle brass, the turret for riflr assembly and crimp if any and the 550 for pistol. I also have a MEC 8657 in 410 still hanging around and a Hydro Spolar in all gauges.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Rock Chucker to work up small batch loads and a Dillion 550 for production. Want to get another 550 so I have one for large primers and one for small.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    I think it's great...I like to bring primed brass to all the presses now. It has a positive feel when they are set proper.
    I'll have to look into picking one up then.

A Rock Chucker for most of my rifle needs, then 2 Dillon 550's for high volume handgun (one setup for small primers and one setup for large primers), plus an old Hollywood Senior for some light bullet swaging work.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    This is as good a place as any to say this. I started loading on a borrowed (newer) Rockchucker supreme, had to give that back so I decided to try a Redding Big Boss II.

What a difference! The biggest and most tangible improvement is the primer collection system, the tray on the rockchucker does a really poor job of keeping the primers contained. Especially if you let it get full and go to unclip it, popping out of the recess it's held into by tension of the plastic always seems to make a few spill out. The tube collection on the Redding is infinity better and cleaner, to be completely fair the odd primer does manage to slip out the front of the ram but it's a rarity.

I understand Lee uses the same system, which is fantastic, RCBS really should just go ahead and copy it already as well and offer it as a retrofit.
    I've heard people say before that the Big Boss is just a copy of the Rockchucker, if so than it's the least they could do for revenge.

Since I don't have the rockchucker side by side anymore I can't give exact measurements, but it seems to me the frame is wider open on the Big Boss II. In addition the frame is canted to the right 50 degrees or so, assuming you're working the ram with your right hand and manipulating cases with your right this is much more ergonomic to work with. If you want to do the reverse you're SOL with the Big Boss because unlike the rockcucker you can't swap the side the handle is on. You also don't have that primer collection tray in there taking up room either.

Much better fit between the ram and the frame (it was a little tight when I first got it since the clearances were so minimal, broke in very nicely fast), nicer casting on the frame, smoother action, and what is important to me is that the Redding is 100% made in the USA while RCBS has moved a lot of their production to China.

Now that Redding is about 15% more than the RCBS, but it's pretty obvious where that extra cost kicks in and what it gets you.

If you've got a rockchucker and it's working for you i'm by no means saying go get rid of it. But this thing is an absolute tank of a press and i'm super impressed by it.

Boolit Buddy
    Got 2 turrets and a pro 1000.
    For the past year or two i have used my rcbs turret about 95% of the time.

Recently started toying with the pro1000 again though. I generally seat and crimp seperatly so the 3 station progressive is under utilized.
    Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Boolit Master
    GONRA notes ya'll havalotta presses. Be SURE to use yer LARGEST PRESS for "case prep".
    (Very Important on necked rifle calibers to get uniform headspace! STP Oill Treatment or Trii-Flow Synthetic Grease case lube is necessary too!)
    Many problems you read about on these websites will THEN "just go away"......
    Last edited by GONRA; 10-05-2019 at 05:57 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Dillon 550, RCBS Rockchucker and a Lyman Turret. All of them get a workout.
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

Boolit Master

Rockchucker, Redding T7 and Dillon 550B. The Rockchucker gets all the rifle rounds as well as magnum handgun. Even though I don't load the .475L and .454Casull to the max, I still try to be very careful and weigh all but very light loads. The light loads just get extra inspection before seating boolits.

The Dillon is only for higher volume handgun and only then for small primer including .45ACP.

I haven't had the T7 long enough to really know how I will best use it. So far all I have done is load rounds on it using a separate crimp die.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    Dillon 550B for all my 38 and 45 handgun ammo and a ancient Rockchucker for every mostly rifle. Frank

Boolit Bub
    I have mostly Dillon's dedicated to a particular caliber. 2 650's. One with case and bullet feeder for 9mm and the other with case feeder for 300 Blackout. 2 550s as well. I use one for large primer and other for small primer cartridges. Also a rockchucker delegated for sizing powder coated bullets, depriming duties and working up a loads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Just got one of the new MEC single stage presses, so far, so good!! Added the press mount to raise it up,above the reloading bench, all is good!! I like the smoothness of this new press.but, ( not retiring Rock Chucker yet).
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Bub

I have 5 on the bench right now, 2 RCBS Rock Chucker's, 1 RCBS Summit, 2 Dillon RL-1050's. I've had a bunch of others over the years but this is all I've got left.
    M.O.P.H.--D.A.V.-- N.R.A.-- Life Member

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2400 View Post
    I have 5 on the bench right now, 2 RCBS Rock Chucker's, 1 RCBS Summit, 2 Dillon RL-1050's. I've had a bunch of others over the years but this is all I've got left.
    I've been thinking about moving to 1050's. 2 650's and I hate it when my press encounters crimped brass. I have a super swage and walk the over to swage it before putting them back in the press. Any regrets with the RL 1050s? Do you think they are worth the extra cost and lack of warranty?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yes, I like my two 1050s, one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers.
    I use one for 9mm and one for 45 ACP
    Have two Stars for 38 Special and 375 Mag
    and more and more and more
    BUT keep your old machines for ammo like 38 Special and 44 Mag
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Rockchucker with a bench mount APS primer system. Since I have stainless pin tumbling I deprime first to take advantage of primer pocket cleaning. That leaves 2 stations I would use on a progressive but I like weighing charges at a whim depending how the powder measure is running. I do batches of 100 and visually inspect the charges with an led before seating bullets.

As far as spent primer recovery, I have a system that deposits them in a plastic jar under the bench 99.7% of the time, about 1 in 350 misses the chute.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    I have and regularly use a Dillon Square Deal B for 10mm Auto, a Lee Pro 1000 for .45 ACP, and an ancient C-H H-press single stage for everything else.
    I don't have electronics or automation on my bench- I'm old fashioned, low-tech and very precise in my reloading.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345