Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible issues with the Dillon 550c

Boolit Buddy

Possible issues with the Dillon 550c

A few months ago I switched from a Lee Classic Turret press to a Dillon 550c. On the Lee I was using RCBS dies with a Lee taper crimp die and a Lee powder thru expander. When I bought the 550 I also got all new Dillon dies.

The only thing I've changed is the press and the dies. The OAL of the cartridges is the same, powder charge is the same, crimp is the same and the boolit I'm using is the same.

So here's the issue: when I load 9mm, about 1 or 2 in every 10 rounds does not want to go fully into battery. Sometimes I can smack the back of the slide to get it in, other times I have to rack the slide and eject the round. Most of the time it's hard enough getting the stuck round out that I have to use the edge of a table.

I've tried multiple pistols, many of which have been throated by DougGuy and I still get this issue. The stuck rounds fit just fine in a case gauge.

At this point I've reset the Dillon dies multiple times, following the instructions exactly and it still happens. I know Dillon makes quality stuff and I have a hard time believing it's the equipment, but at this point I have no other idea. I use the 550 to load 45ACP, 38 spl and 300 blackout using non-Dillon dies and I don't have this issue.

Anybody have any ideas?

Boolit Master

if they fit a gauge, and pass the plunk test, try a different bullet profile, or different seating depth.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try the RCBS dies on the Dillon. If they solve the problem, return the Dillon dies for exchange or credit.
    Don Verna

If a empty sized brass fits OK, that'll tell ya if the dies are good or and/set right...or not.
    And be sure the shell plate is tight, and doesn't wobble.

Paint the boolit with a sharpie, and look for marks of the rifling grooves on the nose to tell ya there is a seating depth issue.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't think it's a seating depth issue. I'm using the same OAL, 1.09, as I did when I used the RCBS dies and had no trouble. None of the stuck rounds show signs of jamming in the rifling.

I've tried the MP 125gr HP and the 125 gr SWC and I have the issue with both

I'd have to rebuy the RCBS dies since I sold them a few months ago, but I'm seriously thinking of getting them anyway and trying

Moderator Emeritus

I don't mean to sound smart but are you sure OAL is the same? Do you have a loaded round from the RCBS dies to compare? It almost sounds like a crimp issue in that you are slightly bulging or creating a lip. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Buddy
    That's a fair question, and it hadn't occurred to me to check it. Luckily I have a bunch of older rounds and I just verified that they're the same within .005 inches. Cases do look a little bulged where the bullet is seated but I think that's more a result of the M die style expander I'm using than crimp. I can get some photos up after work today so you can see what I'm talking about

If you have a bulge from an "M" die you have not crimped the round enough. A taper crimp die should not leave or cause any bulge at the case mouth.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Does an empty case that you have expanded with the M die pass the plunk test by itself. If they do then the problem is with the seating or crimping.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Bub
    I have the same problem with 223 and I use a redding small base die. so I do all my sizing on a different press and still some times I have to run the case through a couple of times. I was thinking it might be the case thickness.

If everything worked fine before, I suppose still does since you bought a new press and new dies, are both still setup? You could do a side by side at that point, to eliminate variables.

1 or 2 every 10 rounds fails, so take 20 cases and size them on your LCT then put them in the 550 and charge, seat then crimp them.

Now take 20 cases and size charge and seat the bullet on the LCT and crimp on the 1050.

Last take 20 cases and size them on the 550 and finish them out on the LCT.

With the results from those 60 rounds, you will know exactly what to do.

Boolit Buddy
    That's a good idea, I'll give that a shot. I re ordered some RCBS dies so I could recreate my old setup, and I do still have the LCT.

Something else just occurred to me. On the old setup I was using a 32 S&W expander plug for the Lee powder thru die to get enough expansion for my .358 sized boolits. Now I'm using a funnel for the Dillon powder die that expands the case to .358. Anybody know what the Lee 32 S&W plug expanded the case to? Maybe my Dillon version expands too aggressively

If ALL of your rounds casegauge and plunk I am really at a loss, I was just suggesting a little back track to find the problem. As at one point everything was fine using the same component as before.

Boolit Master
    Is the correct seating stem being used? The newer Dillon dies for 9mm have a pin that can be pulled out. The seating stem can then be removed. Each end of the stem had a different profile. Is the end you are using have a flat or round profile? My guess is your chambers might be tighter than your check gauge. Using the wrong profile can seat the boolit crooked creating a slight bulge to one side of the brass case. Check it out and let us know.

I had a Lee crimping my that wouldn’t work in my 550B. The Lee die simply wasn’t long enough. I don’t know if that’s your issue but it may be worth looking into.

Boolit Buddy
    Using flat point boolits with the flat side of the seating stem. I can't see a visible cant to the boolits

RCBS dies should get here today, so I can start testing out where the issue may be if it's a die issue

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by asmith80 View Post
    That's a fair question, and it hadn't occurred to me to check it. Luckily I have a bunch of older rounds and I just verified that they're the same within .005 inches. Cases do look a little bulged where the bullet is seated but I think that's more a result of the M die style expander I'm using than crimp. I can get some photos up after work today so you can see what I'm talking about
    What "M" die style expander are you referring to? In your first post you stated that the only things to changed was the press and dies. Did you change the powder funnel as well ?

I think the RCBS dies may fix your issue but I think the powder funnel (if it is still a Dillon powder funnel) will be the real fix. I don' think the press has anything to do with the issue.
    Dillon powder funnels (which do not have a Lyman "M" type step) tend to be a bit small for cast bullets. Using a custom powder funnel from Lathesmith will correct that issue. Uniquetek also makes a replacement Dillon Funnel (powder through expander stem).
    During seating you may be deforming the bullet slightly as you overcome that tight casing that wasn't expanded enough by the Dillon powder funnel.

Dillon make an awesome press but they seem to be geared towards jacketed bullets. I've had good experience with Dillon dies but most of my Dillon toolheads hold a mixture of dies from other makers. As much as I love Dillon equipment, their powder funnels tend to be sized a bit on the small size.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm actually using a plug from Lathesmith. He made me up one that is .358 in diameter and has an M style step. One of the things I'm concerned about is that it may be expanding things a little too much. When I was using the Lee PTX on my old setup, I had a 38 s&w plug in there, which if I recall, only measures .356.

My thinking is if expanding out to .358 is right at the edge of too much then a slight difference in case thickness may be causing the periodic jams I'm getting. But I'm just guessing here

Boolit Master

Just a thought, check the col of the brass. If they are short/long that could be causing all kinds of fun. I have a 45acp that is very finicky and once I started trimming my brass all my problems went away. Save the ones that don't go into battery and pull the bullets measure the brass, that may be your culprit.

My thinking is if expanding out to .358 is right at the edge of too much then a slight difference in case thickness may be causing the periodic jams I'm getting. But I'm just guessing here
    Are you “plunk” testing every round you load into and out of the barrel before you try and fire them?

If they fall into and out of the barrel before they are even loaded into a magazine, something subsequently must alter them if they later won’t fit into the chamber.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast