Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inconsistent seating depth

Inconsistent seating depth

I am trying to load some tok 7.62x25 ammo. I am using PC cast boolits. I am using the Lee dies for the Tok. I can not get consistent seating depths. I am trying to get 1.360 COAL. My lengths will varies between 1.70 and 1.40. with those numbers pretty consistently. Obviously something is going on with the seating die but haven't found the problem yet. The die has been cleaned and readjusted a few times with no luck. Any ideas??

thanks

Boolit Master

When you are measuring your cartridges are you measuring to the tip of the bullets (which can get dinged) or are you using a bullet comparator? Are the primers seated below the pocket?

I've found a couple of culprits when I had that issue.
    Primers not recessed
    Raised lettering on the brass headstamp
    Play in the presses bearings.
    I hope this helps.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Boolit Master

There are several factors that play into it. You have the factors listed above. Another is bullets seaters seat off the bullets ogive and not the bullet tip. Which can also be inconsistent. The best way is to measure bullet ojive to the base of the case with a comparator. If you measure with a comparator you may find they are consistent.

Dont sweat a few thousands variation. When i measure a bullets seating depth, i subtract. 003 off of it for variation and have never had a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master

From the given numbers Hes talking .030 ( 1/32") variation. This is a lot. Im wondering if there might be a heavier layer of PC on some noses tips contributing to this. Another would be to check the fit of the seater to the bullets again the coating may be causing some variations in how the bullet sits in the nose of the seaters and mating angles vary a lot depth wise when diameters vary. WHat you might try is a flat faced seater stem in your die. See what the press and set up does like that.

Banned
    1) What press are you using? Something may be flexing
    2) are you doing a full stroke every time?

Thanks guys

Let me answer the questions

I am using both the tip of the bullet and a comparator. They both indicate the COAL is wrong or inconsistent. I just loaded some other caliber ammo and the COAL was consistent.

Not sure about the raised letters but the primers are set properly.

The bullets are seated off a concave seater at the tip of the bullet. The bullets "appear" to be coated about the same no obvious thick spots.

Never thought about a flat faced seater. Ill turn the seating rod around and try that.

Lee turret press. There has always been a little movement between the turret and the press but it is consistent and has made no difference in the past. Full stroke every time.

Its something in the seating die. I just cant figure it out so far. The die is clean. Im thinking its the floating seating pin not hitting the bullet in the center of the die. Some run fine others don't. The amount of error is consistent. Most of the time they run 1.70 or 1.40 if they are not at the proper length.

I get a variation with 45 auto, using the lee hand press, not that much however. More like .005. It's mostly due to using mixed headstamp brass that all has different neck tension.

I get very little deviation when seating 30-30 bullets using the hand press, but I keep my brass in lots with all the same headstamp and number of firings.

In your case the only other thing I can think of might be the bullet nose catching on the edge of the seat plug.

Yes that is what i am thinking also. Maybe turning the rod around will help. Maybe there is a better seater for this cartridge? Idono
    Last edited by thumbs; 10-25-2019 at 09:16 PM.

I’m assuming you are using lee dies so I’m wondering if the floating seater is hanging up. The 7.62x25 is a very short case with a short neck. I’m thinking it wouldn’t take much to cock the bullet or case enough to mess up the bullet seating and oal. Is there any way to eliminate the floating part of the die to make it ridged? Do you have a non floating seater die ? One last thing is your shell holder, is it a tight or sloppy fit, the correct one? If you google 7.62 tokerev theres a video that addresses crooked bullet seating. Might help. Good luck.
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 10-25-2019 at 09:29 PM.

I have taken several seat plugs and removed that inner sharp edge by spinning the plug in a drill while holding sandpaper to the offending area.

The amount of error is consistent. Most of the time they run 1.70 or 1.40 if they are not at the proper length.
    .300 is a lot of variation, that’s almost the diameter of the projectile off!

Ok just went to the bench and loaded 10 rounds to see if there was better consistency when I turned the seating rod around and used the flat side rather than the concave. Out of the 10 rounds all fell less than .002 from the target COAL. Apparently the concave side was in fact hitting the top of the bullet at different points causing the inconsistency in the COAL. I would never have gotten 10 rounds to the right length using the concave end of the rod. Looks like I can start loading agian.

Yes its a floating pin. Not really a way to make it rigid. Anyway is seems to work now.

Yes I have seen the crooked seating bullet thing on youtube. Actually I have never had that problem, so far. LOL

thanks guys. All your ideas were possibilities. It seems ,so far, it was the seating rod that was the culprit.

jmorris

This is why I don't like to share load data. If I can I tell the source I use and let them find the numbers.
    Boy did I screw up here. My numbers are a bit off. The target was 1.360" My seater was seating between 1.370 and 1.340 with the occasional 1.360.

Glad you have it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
    jmorris

This is why I don't like to share load data. If I can I tell the source I use and let them find the numbers.
    Boy did I screw up here. My numbers are a bit off. The target was 1.360" My seater was seating between 1.370 and 1.340 with the occasional 1.360.
    .030” is still a lot but 10 times less than .300

.002” isn’t bad at all, happy loading.

Boolit Master
    Hey, the only people that do not pull a boo boo now and then are not doing anything! Glad you caught it.

I think you have enough ideas to look at that you will sort out what is causing your mischief shortly.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Bub
    I always measure form the ojive all bullets are not the same length.

I had that trouble with the Tok. It was from the bullet being to big for the die. I had to push it and lube both groves on the bullet. Lee dies work and are the only ones I could find in that cal. the mold is a lee also don't remember what one right off though. At any rate the problem was solved by sizing it the full length of the bullet. Also had to use a factory crimp to keep them in place when chambering. I almost gave up reloading for this one, still might and just shoot factory stuff. I do like shooting it though.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by thumbs View Post
    I am trying to load some tok 7.62x25 ammo. I am using PC cast boolits. My lengths will varies between 1.70 and 1.40. with those numbers pretty consistently.
    Are you sure about those numbers, as .3" variance for anything, especially a 25mm long casing is a huge variance. Check the primer seating. Some bullets may get deformed during seating, also. But, if they seat in the magazine ok and pass the Plunk Test ok, they are fine.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.