Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: K-38 ringed barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I will second the idea ofpicking up the spare barrel while you can.
    I’m going to echo this post. Keep it as is, but if a replacement barrel is as good as you say, why not grab it for a rainy day?

Boolit Master
    Shoot wad cutters in it (hollow base), they will never know the difference.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I will second the idea of picking up the spare barrel while you can.
    I'm in this camp. With 2 Model 14s at your house, a spare barrel seems like a great idea--since they are out-of-print now.

20 years ago, I would not have hesitated an instant to R&R that "spoiled" barrel. Today, I must be getting dotty or less discerning. If the barrel still shoots well, keep on rockin' until doesn't any more--then do surgery. Life is too short to cross every "T" and dot every "i".
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Well, I opted to go with the "get the barrel and have it on hand in case it's needed later" school of thought, and oddly, now that I have the spare barrel, I don't feel anywhere near the urgency to replace the ringed barrel as I did before. I guess having the spare barrel is some sort of mental security blanket. Oh well.

Thank you all for your responses.

One final thought, a couple of folks thought the ring may have been caused by a squib load and that is entirely possible, however, judging from the looks and size of the ring, I would lean more toward the idea that a GC bullet shed it's GC and the shooter was unaware of that fact since the bullet probably hit pretty close to POA. He then followed with another shot which caused the ring. Now before anyone gets all in a tizzy, I don't know if it is possible for a GC to come off and stop in the barrel. I have heard stories of this happening and it may just be a myth or it may be real. I, don't shoot GC style bullets, (except in one rifle) since I have never found the need for them in my handguns.
    Last edited by roysha; 09-20-2019 at 01:06 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Well, I opted to go with the "get the barrel and have it on hand in case it's needed later" school of thought, and oddly, now that I have the spare barrel, I don't feel anywhere near the urgency to replace the ringed barrel as I did before. I guess having the spare barrel is some sort of mental security blank. Oh well.
    That happens to me all the time.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I'd fix it.........
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master
    I competed inPPC with a ringed barrel. The fellow I bought it from did also. That revolver can still drop them in the X ring when I do my part. No reason to change it if it shoots.

Having a spare is a good idea.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Super Moderator

If I bought a spare and put it in the drawer, I don't think I could resist the temptation to change it...

Boolit Master

A couple of months ago a bulged barrel was on gunbroker saw it while looking for an inexpensive pistol for a coworker who wanted it for snake shot , ad said bulged could see no discernible bulge in photos , was a buy now price of $135 and opening bid was 89 first listing , second listing it went to 79 open and same buy coworker did not bid and someone bought it , I should have as that was a good buy and barrels are at gun parts . I am in the shoot as is camp.

Boolit Grand Master
    Existing barrel shoots OK with bulge as is? Check!
    Spare barrel in stock for use as needed? Check!
    Good to go. Now find something else to worry about, but in the meanwhile, enjoy shooting your K-38, one of the great revolvers of all times.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    get the other barrel. but if the one that is on the gun shoots good hits where you look leave it alone. make that one your wife's gun then she will not be able to out shoot you.

Look at a new model 19 with that ugly 2 pc barrel and then tell yourself whether having an older spare that they don't make anymore is worth it. Since you say that you can change them yourself, you can always put the ringer back on it if the other barrel will not shoot as well.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12