Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingWideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Stockpile beginning to run down

Boolit Master

Stockpile beginning to run down

Here in Houston they have been asking for voluntary electrical rationing. That plus the cost of cool our homes has kept me from any casting all summer.

Can't wait for cool weather to arrive (like 4 months from now ) so I can get back to casting/Powder Coating.

Have 'enough' for now but plan several weeks of casting and such every day. Just too hot and humid now
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master

Its too hot here for me to be interested in casting or smelting too! I have enough wheel weights for a good smelting session and a buddy has a big pile of pole top pins in the floor of my shop. We're waiting on cooler weather. Fortunately no one is rationing power here, yet.

It was finally a little cooler here today. To bad I had to spend it working!

I love the fall. Need a few more weeks before it is pleasant temps all the time.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

We room and boarded a friend here (near Houston) in Conroe for a time and he later (two years ago) he wanted to give back and put another foot of blown insulation over the ceiling. He covered all the cost for that. We already had some insulation but had gaps out toward the edges. Our electric bills went down nearly half, so I don't think we are putting a strain on the power usage. Really nice to have like a hundred and fifty to spend elsewhere it is needed. Say like on the 20 gauge shotgun I bought last month just because all my life I had never owned a 20 gauge. Didn't even need one but you know how it is.

[QUOTE=Our electric bills went down nearly half, .[/QUOTE]

I had a buddy that whenever he saved a few bucks on something, he'd say,
    "That leaves me more money for gunpowder and Whiskey".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Finally cooled off here. I might render down some range scrap soon, and break out the casting pot.

Boolit Master
    Tell the greenies they need to unplug and use the peddles on their electric cars.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master

Waiting for rain to stop here to do a little mining of the pistol berms , meanwhile waiting on a demolition hammer to put some drain and sump pump in basement storage room , has leaked in the wet weather before but is getting worse , when I bought the house the inspector for the loan did not see a lot of things he should have , and I did not see it for a year or two as the previous owners had put a epoxy/ caulk and sealers and painted over it so some of it looked like rough concrete from the initial foundation pour .

Boolit Master

Summer keeps hanging on here too. The heat won't loosen up, making me grumpy. I'm tired of the heat for this year, still in the 90s daily.

Too hot to go render my range scrap, I've got 2 buckets of CWW, and I need to cast some 312-185-1r to shoot in the M39 at the monthly Military Bolt-gun match at the club.

Beyond that, I have a new MP mould I haven't done anything with, and another on the way.

Seems like all I do is mow.

Be careful what you wish for. Soon it'll be -20 and I'll have 3' of snow in high country Colorado...

Boolit Master
    What you all need is a heat pump with a condenser that will put up to 800 degrees into a lead pot. Imagine pouring boolits in the refrigerated breeze coming from your casting pot.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

I generally do all my casting for the year from about November through February (the really cold winter months). But, I have an indoor casting setup, complete with forced ventilation.

I smelt a decent quantity of bullet alloy about every three years, and that I do in the summer, but I generally just wait for a cool stretch (we get those in the Northeast, even in summer) since that is done outdoors. Ditto melting down the raw wheelweights, although that I only do every 9-10 years.

Banned

I have about 200 pounds smelted, and since I don't get to shoot as much as some of you it lasts for a good while. But, like the rest of you it's getting close to casting time. We had what is supposed to be the last day in the 90's yesterday. I'll wait a bit longer to be sure but I'm ready to get started.

Banned

Too hot in Shiner too!

Boolit Master

well . . . now we have Imelda's flooding to contend with.

We're OK but right side of Houston over to Beaumont got the worst of it, Winnie got 43"

Looks like we'll be going through the "Harvey Drill" again for a long time.

. . . and back to hot and humid for the next 10 days or so.

at least I have my health
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OldBearHair View Post
    We room and boarded a friend here (near Houston) in Conroe for a time and he later (two years ago) he wanted to give back and put another foot of blown insulation over the ceiling. He covered all the cost for that. We already had some insulation but had gaps out toward the edges. Our electric bills went down nearly half, so I don't think we are putting a strain on the power usage. Really nice to have like a hundred and fifty to spend elsewhere it is needed. Say like on the 20 gauge shotgun I bought last month just because all my life I had never owned a 20 gauge. Didn't even need one but you know how it is.
    I do indeed know how it is, and once you start shooting it, you will too. The 20 gauge was the Lord’s Gift to the shotgun lover. I’ve got 12s, 16s and even a 410, but the one that comes off the rack first is my OU 20 ga (a Marlin Model 90 fitted with a second set of barrels.). It would be the very last shotgun I would let go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Banned
    All that warm weather, wow. Here in the southern end of the Gopher state there has been two weeks in July where running the AC was really desirable, rest of the time don't need it.
    But I am hearing ominous predictions for January.

Ken

Boolit Master

Right there with you Walter. Down to just a few HG 50s, some Accurate 10mms, and a handful of Lee 9mms. A month or two. That is after I had to suck it up and do a summer casting session. I underestimated my needs when casting for the season during late winter this year.
    Last edited by Taterhead; 09-28-2019 at 01:45 AM.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield