RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Reloading HOT loads for a Cimmaron 92 45 colt

Boolit Mold

Reloading HOT loads for a Cimmaron 92 45 colt

I have a cimarron 1892 20” barrel in 45 colt

Friend of mine loaded some Hornady FTX 225 using 25 grains of H110 and CCI Magnum primers. Cases were trimmed to allow the FTX bullet to correctly load.

Any issue with this? Seems pretty hot but the bullets seem to be on the light side for that amount of powder.

I’ve read a dozen or more forums but haven’t seen this particular loading before.

Just want to make sure it’s safe.
    Last edited by lotusexige; 09-18-2019 at 01:05 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Linebaugh starts at 28gr of H110 under a 225 JHP and Max is 30gr. Your under both but that is one very stout load and is intended for Ruger Blackhawks and the like. I'd be pretty cautious of starting there on my first go as I'm not sure it's safe in your gun especially with trimming the brass down.

Myself, I wouldn't be comfortable trying a load like that out unless I loaded it myself. Read the following link on hot 45lc loads. Any particular reason you want to try that load?

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Sounds safe enough.

A firearm is like any other machine, the harder ya use it, the sooner it will wear out.
    Like driving your car at 120, it will do it, but probably not for as far as it will at 60-70.

I'd use that load for hunting, or maybe a little bit of silhouette shooting.
    But for shooting a lot at paper or empty soda cans---- I'd check into a lighter cast lead load.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Linebaugh starts at 28gr of H110 under a 225 JHP and Max is 30gr. Your under both but that is one very stout load and is intended for Ruger Blackhawks and the like. I'd be pretty cautious of starting there on my first go as I'm not sure it's safe in your gun especially with trimming the brass down.

Myself, I wouldn't be comfortable trying a load like that out unless I loaded it myself. Read the following link on hot 45lc loads. Any particular reason you want to try that load?

https://www.johnlinebaughcustomsixguns.com/writings
    It’s for hunting whitetail deer. He’s had good luck with the FTX and decided to load what he thought was a middle of the road “hot” load for the 45 colt.

The brass was trimmed to allow it to feed correctly since the FTX bullet is on the long side.

Boolit Master

I have one of those NM RUGER BlackHawk's in .45Colt from the mid 1970's. I had new ammo split on firing. And reloading those cases ? I lost about 5 or 6 split on every loading.
    Didn't have any problems with the S&W M29 bought before the .45Colt Blackhawk, or the SBH that I bought a couple of months later.

I was ready to chuck the .45 Ruger and find a Colt New Frontier. Then My DAD gave me a set of Lyman All-American dies from the early 1960's, with a steel sizer.
    Well lubed, My cases sized Very Easy. No more cases were lost.
    My RCBS Carbide size die went back to RCBS with 6 Win cases fired in my .45Colt NM Blackhawk.
    Unfortunately for me the last 15+yrs or so, I've had to seperate cases from that older NM Blackhawk and an old 2nd Gen Colt from my Marlin Cowboy made in 1996 and newer Colts and Uberti's. And that Ideal #454190 4cav will drop Bullets at .456 from COWW, I lube then in a .457 sizer. A little "lubey" when loading, but that's why there are shop Rags.

Not a problem, I have collected more .45Colt brass and cartridge boxes then I'll ever need.

And the Warmer Loads for Me, just go to max std pressure. I've had at least 3 .44Mag revolvers at any time since 1980, so I never felt the need for "hot .45Colt loads"
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lotusexige View Post
    It’s for hunting whitetail deer. He’s had good luck with the FTX and decided to load what he thought was a middle of the road “hot” load for the 45 colt.

The brass was trimmed to allow it to feed correctly since the FTX bullet is on the long side.
    I'm not sure that any safe load for a 45LC will be fast enough for proper expansion with that bullet. I'd research that or call Hornady first to make sure on that one.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I'm not sure that any safe load for a 45LC will be fast enough for proper expansion with that bullet. I'd research that or call Hornady first to make sure on that one.
    That bullet is specifically for the 45 Colt.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/hand...ftx-45-colt#!/

25 grains is also under the starting load on the Hodgdon site for that powder and bullet.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-18-2019 at 04:37 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banner Sponsor

What is the load length of your 225FTX bullets?
    Hodgdon lists a loaded length of 1.7" with H110 charges from 26.2 to 27.2
    Quickload shows similar pressures and velocities given the 1.7" length, and putting in a 20" barrel, your 25gn load should be in the neighborhood of 1680fps at around 22kpsi. A max load of 27.2gns of H110 should be around 1840fps.

Boolit Grand Master

The modern 92 action is a strong action. I’d have no problem running that through a modern steel 92 action.

I know he can be a controversial character, however, I agree with his article here.

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/pa...ltlevergun.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I use a tad more powder under the same bullet for a deer load in a Rossi 45 Colt with no problems. Bullet is a little light but does the job well under 100 yards. My hunting buddy killed a nice buck with this load in his Lightning pump.

Boolit Grand Master

They make a FTX rifle and handgun bullet and he didn't specify which one was used. Since he had to trim the brass to fit I thought the it was not unlikely his friend loaded the rifle bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

They only make one 45 Cal 225 gr. bullet. https://www.hornady.com/bullets/ftx#!/#product-line
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-19-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

And Hornady says to trim both rifle & revolver brass to 1.215 for the 225gn FTX

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    What is the load length of your 225FTX bullets?
    Hodgdon lists a loaded length of 1.7" with H110 charges from 26.2 to 27.2
    Quickload shows similar pressures and velocities given the 1.7" length, and putting in a 20" barrel, your 25gn load should be in the neighborhood of 1680fps at around 22kpsi. A max load of 27.2gns of H110 should be around 1840fps.
    Load length of 1.65

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Czy_Horse View Post
    And Hornady says to trim both rifle & revolver brass to 1.215 for the 225gn FTX
    Brass is 1.215 roughly

Banner Sponsor

with a loaded length of 1.65", 25gns will be a 100% load density and should give around 1730fps at around 26kpsi. If you want to bump the load up some, you could go up to 26gns will be a 104% load density and should give around 1800fps at around 29.4kpsi. At least that's what Quickload says.

The 225FTX has a thinner jacket than the 200 and 250.

The Hodgdon web site list that Hornady 225gr pointed bullet with H110 and 26.2gr. at 26,600 psi in ruger only loads, just information
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    They only make one 45 Cal 225 gr. bullet. https://www.hornady.com/bullets/ftx#!/#product-line
    True but he didnt load them either. Not trying to rain on any parade just pointing out caution with ammo not loaded by yourself

Boolit Mold
    Just put it on the chrono. 1715 FPS 5 shot average. 68 degrees.

Banner Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by frogleg View Post
    The Hodgdon web site list that Hornady 225gr pointed bullet with H110 and 26.2gr. at 26,600 psi in ruger only loads, just information
    Hodgdon list a COAL of 1.700", if we plug that into Quickload with 26.2gns(97% load density) it gives an estimated 25,552psi. The OP said his was loaded to 1.65", that would give a 104.7% compressed load and gives an estimated 30,253psi.
    Quickload isn't always accurate, but it's a good tool to get you in the ball park, or in this case look at what would be the difference if we seated the bullet just a little deeper.