RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lawn weeds

I'm thinking of going with the torch, I'd mow the weeds and burn what's left. Does that kill the roots as well? I'm in high country Co. and the weeds are out of control. I'll stop at the fire department on the way home to see if burning is a practical idea...

I'm considering having a deck built on the back of the house that would be 10'x60' and with what's left of the backyard, I'd plant Aspen and Pine trees. The problem is, we get about 3' of snow accumulating over the winter, I'd have to shovel the deck clear every couple days. Owning a home has become a full time job...
    Last edited by gnostic; 09-18-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    i'll continue to mow the weeds before i put "chemicals" (poison) on my lawn!

Boolit Master
    I tried the salt and vinegar trick on a very weedy gravel driveway. Made the driveway smell like pickles. The weeds LIKED it. I gave up and used a commercially available chemical. THAT worked. Used according to instructions, weed killers are safe.

Goats, but only if you have NO roses that you want to keep.....

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    The Original Red Dragon Weed Killer Torch Kit can be had at wally mart for $60.00 , no chemicals whatsoever and it works !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

If I killed the weeds in my lawn 80% of my lawn would be bare dirt LOL when I bought this house it had sat empty for 20 years, the "lawn" was 10' tall... had a neighbor with a tractor and a brush cutter go over it twice...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    You probably have no idea what a self fulfilling prophecy you just made there!

Boolit Master

Our lot is 1 Acre +. The most objectionable weeds in my view are those which; A) shade out a 6 inch or so patch of grass , and B) are deep rooted and continue to grow when the grass has gone brown for lack of water. I used a round pointed shovel or equivalent to fight dandelions, chicory and broad leaf and narrow leaf plantain. All of these are allegedly edible. Some object to clover in the lawn, but I don't. At my house it does not choke out the grass, but because it is deep rooted, it remains green in late summer-if the yard doesn't get mowed too low. The war against dandelions commenced first and they are still present but I no longer dig up inch thick roots! Chicory is down to an occasional plant instead of dozens and again I no longer find roots thicker than my thumb. I found with both of them that I had to go deep. If I just sliced the plant off at the surface, it came back with two or more heads rather than one. The war against snakehead/narrow leaf plantain, commenced last year. Those I sliced off at the surface. Those who survived are far less numerous and much weaker this year.
    It may be a fruitless battle, but it gives me something to do in my retirement and its harmless except when I dig up plants and leave them in the lawn to be chopped up at the next mowing. SWMBO objects.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12