Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: black powder load

Boolit Master

black powder load

I had a friend at the range give a bag of paper roll crimped 12 gauge shells loaded with OO B, that were left by some one. well i tried shooting them and not a one, 36 of them would fire. so i cut the roll off of them and dumped the BUCK SHOT out, they had 9 pellets in each one, stacked in layers of 3- total 9. what i need help with is i want to load the 9, OO B pellets into my 12 gauge brass shells. so what amount of 1 F G black do i put in the brass shells and be safe to shoot in my DAMASCUS barreled shot gun? any and all information will be appreciated. thanking you, toot.

Boolit Master
    also what would i use for a wad column with this load. sorry i for got to ask in the post. that is what happens when you get 70+++++. LOL!!

Boolit Master
    The Lyman’s 2nd edition Black Powder Handbook shows loads just with 2F. Nine 00 buck is nearly 1 1/4 oz of shot. All 3 loads are of 90 grns and show 1100 FPS for standard Goex and Elephant, and 1150 FPS for RS. Each used a 0.125” OP card, 0.25” wool felt, and 0.125” OS card.

Boolit Master
    There are commercial 9-pellet 00 Buck BP loads that are 3-1/4 drams, so I would load to that. 3-1/4 drams is 88.9 grains of black powder. You could probably start at about 80 grains and increase it if you want more.
    I would use a card over-powder wad followed by a felt wad, then a card over-shot wad. You can either use enough felt wads to bring the shot column to a good crimp length; or just use one felt wad, let the column come to wherever it comes to, and put a bit of wood glue on top of the overshot wad to lock it in.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I wasn't gonna use plastic or paper shells and roll crimp them (which would be my first choice).

Boolit Buddy
    Here's the load I use in brass cases in Grandad's old turn of the century Shattuck single.........12.

75.0 3 f
    1/2 fibre+2 3/8 card +1/8 card. Both Lyman cast slug and 9/00 buck.....

I also then soak projectiles in liquid alox & top with 1/8 card.....

I have an older MEC press and use the metal crimp starter to indent the case mouth.......I seal with clear epoxy.

My old gun groups slugs quite well to about 70 yards and the buckshot loads are easily usable to 40 plus.

The load is safe in MY old gun.......dunno 'bout yours.

I was using a 90 gr. load, but backed it down and got better groups and patterns.

Boolit Master
    thank you guys, all of you have been so helpful to my question,s and jumped in. I especially like the data on using a slug, that I forgot to ask about, there were 6 of them in rolled paper shells also that I pulled and will certainly reload in my brass shells! I am putting all of the information in my save section. rodwha, tracy, and dogrunner, you guys are the best!! on some sites when you ask questions you get beat up and are sorry to ask questions, not here. if you don't know ask for help and you will get it! PS. BTW, I also have 2 FG black and will switch to it from 1 FG.

Boolit Master
    I don't have LYMAN'S SECOND EDITION BLACK POWDER HAND BOOK. never heard of it. will try and see if any one has one that aren't using any more, again thanks.

In Remembrance

If it were loading all-brass cases for my damascus barrel shotgun, I would start with 70 grains of Fg black powder, one 11 gage .125" card wad, a 3/8" fiber cushion wad, also 11 gage, 9 #00 pellets, and a 10 gage, 1/16" over shot wad glued in with Duco cement. Fg black powder works great in 12 gage guns and gives a little less pressure while also being more gentle on the shot column.

Boolit Master
    curator, I never knew about the # 11 gauge / size of wads to use in the order that you say to use, and 1/16,10 gauge over shot wad glued in with Duco cement. why the differences in gauges / wad sizes? I am going back to using 1 FG powder in my loading, that is what I was going to use originally. can't thank you enough for running me through the loading procedure of loading a brass shell!

Boolit Master
    I’ve read of shotgun shooters (large bore) finding 1F does better. But then I’ve read of several more claiming 3F was good for them.

Boolit Master
    Don't know about your gun and gauge, but, your situation brings up two things.

First, damascus barrels. Are they from a reputable maker and proofed? Do they have a choke and how much? If full choke I am not sure I would shoot buckshot in them.

Second, I have a 24ga double (yes you read that correctly). Designed for paper shells. I have a bunch of brass shells. The inside diameter is very different between the two. With the brass shell your load is basically being 'choked' when going from chamber to barrel. Not a huge deal but that is why all the different card and wad sizes. I actually use 20ga plastic shot columns in mine and it works nicely (mine is not damascus and is proofed for smokeless so no BP in my loads).

If you have a single barrel then no need for all the adhesive on the over shot wad. You just need a card sized to stay in place by itself. For a double you need a well fitted card plus something that will hold it against the recoil of the first shot.

Boolit Master
    now I understand. I have a DBL SXS 12 gauge rabbit eared gun. MFG by WESLEY RICHARDS of LONDON. with BPM'S, not fake BELGIUM. it is open bore no choke.

Boolit Master
    I just won on E-BAY GEORGE C NONTE JR. 1979, 2 SD edition black powder re loading hand book. waiting for it to arrive. this is all that i should be all that I will require.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    curator, I never knew about the # 11 gauge / size of wads to use in the order that you say to use, and 1/16,10 gauge over shot wad glued in with Duco cement. why the differences in gauges / wad sizes? I am going back to using 1 FG powder in my loading, that is what I was going to use originally. can't thank you enough for running me through the loading procedure of loading a brass shell!
    toot: All brass shells are much thinner walled than plastic or paper shot shells.A proper wad size for 12 gauge all brass cases is the 11 gauge wad. On over shot card wad needs to be a bit larger in part because it is so thin and holds a heavy load of shot from falling out. Obviously, you don't need to "build" a wad column height to form a good crimp since all brass shells are left open mouth.

Boolit Master
    toot, I'm interested in seeing your progress so please keep us up to date on your progress. Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Rusty Reel,when it arrives, the book, I will hopefully be making smoke!! let you know how I make out. sent to T-O-T-W- for the wads that I need and a book that they sell on loading black powder solid brass hulls. so I should be good to go!