MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationADvertise hereRotoMetals2
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Hunting Rifle/Shotgun?

Boolit Master
    5 yr.s? BB gun for several years and then a .22 youth rifle. Don't start her off with a flinch! She will have years ahead to grow into anything suitable for deer, etc. She'll appreciate the gift of a new rifle when she is older, anyway. It will be more memorable. .22 CB's will be your friend. Hearing development for the very young is so much more prone to irreversible damage than us old guys. Once damaged, it doesn't recover. It's just my opinion, but I'd tread slowly.

Boolit Master

She's only 5 ... when I was 5 an Offical Daisy Red RyderCarbine , Lever Action, 200 Shot , Range Model Air Rifle would have been the greatest thing on earth !

Perfect for you to teach her how to shoot and how to handle guns safely. Better yet , you can set up soda cans in the back yard for range lessons. Taking a child to a shooting range can be scary to them...the back yard is quite and safe. A buddy got his son a red ryder ...we had a great time in the back yard killing soda cans !

My Dad and uncle let me shoot a 12 gauge when I was 5 , no ear protection and that wasn't exactly a great learning experience ...don't do things like that to your child .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables

Boolit Master
    I don't know who said the .243 was marginal, but they are full of it! My wife has killed 32 deer with her single shot, from 40-300 yds, none went but a few steps, and all were killed with one shot. I have hunted several years with them, and have cleanly taken deer at 400yds. A 100gr softpoint, has roughly 1700ft lbs of energy left at 200 yds, where a 30/30 can only muster 1000 at 100 yds. A 80 federal soft point works dang well on deer also. I second the notion of waiting till 10 years of age before hunting, start her out with a shotgun on small game, a .410, then swap up as she grows up. Both of my kids started hunting when they were 10, and both still love it.

Boolit Grand Master Texas by God's Avatar
    We still have the Rossi .22/.410 Matched Pair I bought for the kids when they were introduced. I shortened and ported the .410 barrel and added a close cell foam recoil pad to the stock. It is still a critter getter. The .22 barrel shoots cloverleaf groups as well and with Colibri ammo it’s a great first gun to learn with. Nary a bobble from either barrel ever and we learned quickly to dodge the ejecting hull! Start at 5 with the Daisy. Then the .22, then the .410 a few years later at stationary targets. Light 20 gauge loads in a gas auto will make the wingshooting lessons quicker when old enough. All three of my kids started and have stayed with the .243 Win and it works.

Boolit Master
    The .410 with rifled slugs is a worthless joke. I killed an armadillo with one and the slug did not exit.
    After the buzzards cleaned out the armadillo shell I found the slug. It had been flattened out to the size and thickness of a quarter.

The .44 Mag in a single shot with full power loads has too much recoil for anyone under the age of 13 or 14.
    If you want your kid to shoot deer wait until they understand what they are doing and make sure they can handle a .30-30 or something equivalent. The .243 works ok on deer with good shot placement as long as the range is not too long.
    EDG

I just want to chime in with others to the OP: a .243 Winchester is a great cartridge for hunting whitetail in Virginia. Keep the bullet near 100 grains at least IMO for the deer. I cut the stock down on a used Rem 700 for our son when he was 12 and loaded up light bullets with starting loads for him initially for target shooting. He loved it! Heck, I enjoyed shooting it myself, short stock and all! Anyway, that rifle was a one-shot killer on deer for sure. In Virginia at that.

At 5? A BB gun toppling cans, popping balloons, etc, is the way to go. Keep it fun! I don't think our kids had any fun punching holes in paper until they were a little older. A lot lighter too...

Boolit Master
    My nephew killed his first deer at 5.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12