Inline FabricationWidenersADvertise hereRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision

View Poll Results: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Voters
159. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Magnum

43 27.04%
  • 45 Long Colt

118 74.21%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    450 what? There's a LOT of 450's out there!!
    Here is Winchester's "Deer" Rifle cartridge list - https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...u-h-6%22%5D%7D
    Here is Winchester's "Deer" HandGun cartridge list - https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...u-h-6%22%5D%7D

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?
    What bullet would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Here is a few 357 deer kill videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=deer+with+357

I voted .45 long Colt.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

No question...at short range (about 50-75 yards?) the .45 is boss. And the .50 cal beats the .45...and the 20mm beats the .50 cal...and the 105mm beats the 20mm.
    The question is, how much killing power do you need? The .357 at ranges around 100 meters is plenty powerful to take deer. Do we need to discuss price per round, ammo availability, recoil, noise, total weight...etc?
    What other calibers do you own? For deer hunting, I wouldn't start buying .45 Long Colts if many of my other firearms were .38/.357. "The better deer rifle" in this case is the one that uses the same caliber as your other firearms.
    JMHO

For long distance shots, use the 45 Long Colt
    For short distance shots, use the 45 Short Colt

That's what they were designed for.

Boolit Master

JMHO but those aren't rifles, they're pistol caliber carbines. But they'll kill a deer "shore 'nuf" as long as you hit what ya aim at, and alot farther than most folks think they will do the job at.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Something I have not noticed is how big are the deer where you hunt ? If I was hunting up north where the deer are almost twice the size of deer in the south and only had a week of hunting season a 45 would really matter to me. I live in the south small deer long season 357 is what I use main reason I own one along with a 44 both have taken deer without a issue. The 357 is light weight and easy for a kid to use so when my boys were young they both used it as their starter deer rifle.
    Every year someone within a few miles of my camp bags a 300lb whitetail. Last fall my buddy shot one across the dirt logging road across from my place that went 275lb. No way would I feel good going after something like that with a 357 Mag. With deer that size I'd go with a very healthy load of 2400, Unique or H110 under a 250 gr or heavier 45LC
    Last edited by jonp; 02-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    I am become death. The destroyer of worlds

We all do our duty when there is not cost to it, honor comes easier then. Sooner or later there comes a day in every man's life when it is not so easy, a day when he must choose and live with it for the rest of his days.

The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it
    George Orwell

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    For long distance shots, use the 45 Long Colt
    For short distance shots, use the 45 Short Colt

That's what they were designed for.

Not disputing this in any way, but I'm wondering if you know of places on the Web that I can find info on it. I know some guys who will almost go to blows if you mention the .45 Long Colt, cause everyone knows there ain't no such animal.

As for hunting deer and .357 vs .45 Colt, I'd take the .45 every time, that big slug has a much better knock em down factor for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    Not disputing this in any way, but I'm wondering if you know of places on the Web that I can find info on it. I know some guys who will almost go to blows if you mention the .45 Long Colt, cause everyone knows there ain't no such animal.

As for hunting deer and .357 vs .45 Colt, I'd take the .45 every time, that big slug has a much better knock em down factor for me.
    I think he was making a joke. The history behind the 45LC designation is well known.
    I am become death. The destroyer of worlds

We all do our duty when there is not cost to it, honor comes easier then. Sooner or later there comes a day in every man's life when it is not so easy, a day when he must choose and live with it for the rest of his days.

The further society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it
    George Orwell

"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
    - Thomas Jefferson, letter to James Madison, January 30, 1787

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456