Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2PBcastcoRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Voters
360. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Magnum

104 28.89%
  • 45 Long Colt

258 71.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Quote Originally Posted by sharps4590 View Post
    450 what? There's a LOT of 450's out there!!
    Here is Winchester's "Deer" Rifle cartridge list - https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...u-h-6%22%5D%7D
    Here is Winchester's "Deer" HandGun cartridge list - https://winchester.com/Products/Ammu...u-h-6%22%5D%7D

Quote Originally Posted by huntersdog View Post
    What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?
    What bullet would you recommend?
    Thanks
    Here is a few 357 deer kill videos - https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=deer+with+357

I voted .45 long Colt.
    A blessing is everyday I wake up,after all i've been through in this lifetime!

Oorah,Semper Fi.

No question...at short range (about 50-75 yards?) the .45 is boss. And the .50 cal beats the .45...and the 20mm beats the .50 cal...and the 105mm beats the 20mm.
    The question is, how much killing power do you need? The .357 at ranges around 100 meters is plenty powerful to take deer. Do we need to discuss price per round, ammo availability, recoil, noise, total weight...etc?
    What other calibers do you own? For deer hunting, I wouldn't start buying .45 Long Colts if many of my other firearms were .38/.357. "The better deer rifle" in this case is the one that uses the same caliber as your other firearms.
    JMHO

For long distance shots, use the 45 Long Colt
    For short distance shots, use the 45 Short Colt

That's what they were designed for.

Boolit Master

JMHO but those aren't rifles, they're pistol caliber carbines. But they'll kill a deer "shore 'nuf" as long as you hit what ya aim at, and alot farther than most folks think they will do the job at.
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    Something I have not noticed is how big are the deer where you hunt ? If I was hunting up north where the deer are almost twice the size of deer in the south and only had a week of hunting season a 45 would really matter to me. I live in the south small deer long season 357 is what I use main reason I own one along with a 44 both have taken deer without a issue. The 357 is light weight and easy for a kid to use so when my boys were young they both used it as their starter deer rifle.
    Every year someone within a few miles of my camp bags a 300lb whitetail. Last fall my buddy shot one across the dirt logging road across from my place that went 275lb. No way would I feel good going after something like that with a 357 Mag. With deer that size I'd go with a very healthy load of 2400, Unique or H110 under a 250 gr or heavier 45LC
    Last edited by jonp; 02-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    For long distance shots, use the 45 Long Colt
    For short distance shots, use the 45 Short Colt

That's what they were designed for.

Not disputing this in any way, but I'm wondering if you know of places on the Web that I can find info on it. I know some guys who will almost go to blows if you mention the .45 Long Colt, cause everyone knows there ain't no such animal.

As for hunting deer and .357 vs .45 Colt, I'd take the .45 every time, that big slug has a much better knock em down factor for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by roadie View Post
    Not disputing this in any way, but I'm wondering if you know of places on the Web that I can find info on it. I know some guys who will almost go to blows if you mention the .45 Long Colt, cause everyone knows there ain't no such animal.

As for hunting deer and .357 vs .45 Colt, I'd take the .45 every time, that big slug has a much better knock em down factor for me.
    I think he was making a joke. The history behind the 45LC designation is well known.

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I think he was making a joke. The history behind the 45LC designation is well known.

Well, there ya go, nobody has ever accused me of being quick on the uptake.

Boolit Master
    if youre not in a straight wall case state buy a bottle neck case rifle so youre not limited to 100 or 150 yards

Banned
    Well in a Rossi 92 the 45 colt knocks at the door of 454 casull, so it gets the vote, but depending on what type of deer as well. Our smallest, Chital( axis) and fallow are only 100 -200pounds and the largest red deer and Sambar are 400-600+. Id probably give the vote to the 357 except for the larger deer species.

I vote 44-40. Wait, What?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    if youre not in a straight wall case state buy a bottle neck case rifle so youre not limited to 100 or 150 yards
    That's correct, get a 44-40 so you can shoot 300 yards...or get a 30-30, even a caveman can hit a deer at 300 yards with a 30-06

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    That's correct, get a 44-40 so you can shoot 300 yards...or get a 30-30, even a caveman can hit a deer at 300 yards with a 30-06
    or just limit your shots to a shorter distance. This is why some of use use a handgun, that and much of the area I hunt has no 300yrd shot opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    or just limit your shots to a shorter distance. This is why some of use use a handgun, that and much of the area I hunt has no 300yrd shot opportunities.
    Oh well in that case, get the rifle that shoots .38 specials

I voted 45 Colt because I have one in a rifle. The 357 is just a little bitty thing.

Boolit Buddy
    When the 45LC was first invented as a martial cartridge (1870's), it was reputed to take down an indian war pony at 100 yards. That was with black powder. 'Nuff said'.

Boolit Buddy

The original 30WCF loading was a 160 grain projectile that left the muzzle at 1,900 FPS. My Marlin 1894C in 357 magnum launches a 158 grain projectile at 1,860 FPS. It is a 30-30 class cartridge. At 100 yards, the velocity and energy is roughly equal to that from a handgun at the muzzle.

I voted 357.
    “If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.” - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I have a dog in this fight. I own and hunt with a ruger blackhawk and a ruger 77 in 357 magnum. I shoot 158 grain and limit pistol shots to bow range and rifle shots to 100 yards. I am very proficient with both weapons and shot placement is paramount in my opinion for a clean ethical kill. My vote is .357 magnum.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast