PBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Voters
360. You may not vote on this poll
  • .357 Magnum

104 28.89%
  • 45 Long Colt

258 71.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?

Boolit Bub
    Which ever one you can hit the deer with
    I'M FROM THE GOVERNMENT....I'M HERE TO HELP!!

Boolit Master

I have been reading this thread and I have yet to see where depending on the individual, the ability to hit what you aim at, the size of the bullet really makes any real difference. I bad hit is a bad hit no matter the size of the hole. One has to also consider the individual and their ability to hit what they aim at, the age, the physical abilities or lack of when deciding on what caliber is best. Oh and don't for get the normal distance at which deer or any game animal is taken at where the hunt is going to be. IF I were choosing I would pick the .357 mag as I know my normal range I like to shoot at, rifle and just where it hits and it is a round I am confident with.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Boolit Buddy
    I've killed deer with both. More with the 45 rifle.
    357 bullet, RanchDog 359190 made for 35 Remington.
    45 bullet, Lee 452255RF. Modest charge of unique.

WTD, Axis, bobcat, turkey fell from a 45 colt boolit. Exceptionally accurate.

1Papalote
    Last edited by 1Papalote; 09-30-2019 at 09:06 AM. Reason: chgd 250RF to 255RF

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    "What's a better deer rifle? .357 Magnum or 45 Long Colt?"

IMO, the question is patently simplistic. If a person knows anything about the subject, they know that the question is loaded like a pair of crooked dice. Yes, it's guaranteed to start a conversation, most certainly a little fighting, and possibly a little learning.

I shoot a 235 grain cast bullet with a huge meplat with a nice sharp corner on it at 1450 fps in the 357 magnum. Pretty sure I can give the typical 45 LC loading a run for its money.

Would I automatically pick the Mag over the Long Colt? Nope. Would I pick either one of them with a suitable cast load of sufficient weight and velocity to make two holes and pull the trigger on a broadside deer, inside of a distance that experience has shown capable of achieving the aforementioned innie and outie? Every time.

I could kill any deer on the planet, with any factory loading with the 357 Mag or 45 LC head stamp, inside of twenty yards, guaranteed.

I am a little puzzled over the assertion that KE is intellectually dishonest. But that's ok, I personally don't like shooting a round nose at any meat animal. Doesn't mean it's wrong, been lots killed with them, I just prefer slamming the living snot out of an animal with a flat faced chunk of lead, the heavier the better.

Put a hole through both lungs. Do that and I don't care what you shoot them with, that's a dead deer.

I am pleased to see many posts in this thread making much the same arguments that I am
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Hamish--- Would you please give some details about that heavy boolit load for the 357 mag? Which mold, powder, OAL and such?
    I find that very interesting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Whichever the shooter is most accurate and has confidence with. I’d personally choose 45 Colt.
    My feelings exactly. Although neither one would be my ideal choice for a deer rifle in either caliber would be adequate under the right conditions . Years ago I had a Rossi lever action 357 I love the way to gun look I just couldn’t warm up the way it shot all the way it felt so I wound up selling it but that’s just me
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I have both in the safe. I have not yet killed deer with either but recently Lyman’s 358430 195 grain bullet is so dang accurate out of my marlin 1894C, if I used that gun, it would be the combination. I have killed deer with both handgun and rifle in 44 magnum. Hearing the “whomp” of the 44 240 grain bullet as it hits the deer would make me grab the 45 colt. Even standard pressure factory loadings offer about 1150 FPS in a rifle. My neighbor and son don’t even think twice about using their Win. 94 in 45 colt with Winchester 255 grain factory loads. That combination is Indiana approved I don’t believe any of the shots we’re beyond 75 yards out of a tree stand.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    I have both in the safe. I have not yet killed deer with either but recently Lyman’s 358430 195 grain bullet is so dang accurate out of my marlin 1894C, if I used that gun, it would be the combination. I have killed deer with both handgun and rifle in 44 magnum. Hearing the “whomp” of the 44 240 grain bullet as it hits the deer would make me grab the 45 colt. Even standard pressure factory loadings offer about 1150 FPS in a rifle. My neighbor and son don’t even think twice about using their Win. 94 in 45 colt with Winchester 255 grain factory loads. That combination is Indiana approved I don’t believe any of the shots we’re beyond 75 yards out of a tree stand.
    Unless that 358430 has a hollow point, that is a bullet that will disappoint. You might get away with a round nose on 45 and bigger calibers, but anything smaller is disappointing. Smaller wounds, and a bullet that tends to glance around bones. I wouldn't recommend a round nose for 45 colt either.

I voted for the 45 Colt. Big flat nose gets er done.

Having said this, gotta add that maybe Deer have somehow gotten tougher then they were when I was feeding my young family. Venison was the mainstay and they mostly succumbed to a well placed 22 LR. I would consistantly shoot 22 empty cases off a 2x4 at 25 yards back then. Eyesight and young nerves got it done. AND NO I did NOT lose a single deer ... EVER! Fact is they all layed rite down and with a couple nerve kicks ... passed onto my dinner table rite where they stood.

Reason I bring this up ??? Well it is like muzzleloader hunting ... gotta know how to accurately judge distance, know your distance where you can deliver an accurate shot with your nerves jangled, AND know your weapon AND game sought.

Within their limits, either can, have and will harvest humanely any deer on the planet.

Just gotta know your limitations and your weapons as well

To answer the question. 357 without even the slightest hesitation.
    It's faster, flatter, ordinary factory loads can be bought off a shelf, minimum recoil, no BS with twist rates being off (nearly all 357s are 1:16 or close which stablizes the 158-180 grain weights optimal for deer). A pocket full of 357 isn't like a bunch of door knobs, while colt is. Yea you can habdload something that will approach the velocity of 357...just don't put it into some old revolver. My Remlin spits out a 158 grain XTPFP at 1900 FPS with 35kpsi book loads. It launches the 180 XTP at 1700. And I just shot some 170 grain Mihec Hammer bullets at 1800. All with accuracy surpassing my ability offhand.
    Getting a Colt that fast will have some recoil in a light carbine. My preliminary gel testing has shown that the XTPs open up to at least .6" and they sailed through my 18" blocks. Deer are just not that tough. I am a deer processor during the Indiana season and see them shot with just about anything. 357 magnum is about the perfect round for deer at Midwest woodland ranges where minimum meat damage is a goal. My shooting buddy has a couple Rossi 92s in 45 colt, one with this ponderously long and heavy octagon barrel and another that is typical. They are heavier, have more recoil with an acceptable deer load, have lousy sights, and do not shoot well except with carefully prepared ammo and with all sorts of tinkering. I've made zero accuracy improvements to my remlin. I wouldn't trade it for any two of those rossis.
    Last edited by curioushooter; 10-08-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Screw firearms, use a bow and arrow!

Boolit Mold
    I've used a .45, and it does well. Dropped a doe at around 60 yards with a pistol. I use a 260gr 1200fps hollow point from Georgia arms. They are accurate, and don't have a lot of recoil.

Lee 300gr . 18 gr. 2400. 1202fps in 7.5 RBH
    1350fps in 20 Rossi
    45colt.
    Enough for anything in North America and most critters in Africa. The US government originally specified that it must be capable of penetrating a horse and Killing the Indian on the other side of it. That was with the original black powder load. In cases where brush becomes a factor, I favor the bigger, heavier 45. I have Muleys, Elk, and Moose on my new Idaho property and shots won’t be over 100 yards. But even at 150, my load retains awesome energy and will completely wreck the skeletal structure of an animal if the best shot isn’t presented. A white tail in Texas found that out when a 300 grainer removed 4 inches of vertebrae. As far as I know, the boolit is still going. The 45 doesn’t need to rely on expansion. It’s 45 right now. I recovered one that hit a rock and it’s almost as wide as a lee 1 oz. slug. ( 50/50 ww a/c )

Quote Originally Posted by superior View Post
    Lee 300gr . 18 gr. 2400. 1202fps in 7.5 RBH
    1350fps in 20 Rossi
    45colt.
    Enough for anything in North America and most critters in Africa. The US government originally specified that it must be capable of penetrating a horse and Killing the Indian on the other side of it. That was with the original black powder load. In cases where brush becomes a factor, I favor the bigger, heavier 45. I have Muleys, Elk, and Moose on my new Idaho property and shots won’t be over 100 yards. But even at 150, my load retains awesome energy and will completely wreck the skeletal structure of an animal if the best shot isn’t presented. A white tail in Texas found that out when a 300 grainer removed 4 inches of vertebrae. As far as I know, the boolit is still going. The 45 doesn’t need to rely on expansion. It’s 45 right now. I recovered one that hit a rock and it’s almost as wide as a lee 1 oz. slug. ( 50/50 ww a/c )
    Some folks just don't "get it" when it comes to a large meplat followed by heavy hard lead....performs better than a hollowpoint

Have both, and have used both.
    Daylight transfer means big thump... the 357 will do the job, but the 45 will do it with more authority.
    Thump!!! works well on big pigs.
    THUMP!!! Works better.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Buddy

Hunting in the north east USA is often very sight limited and a 150 yd shoot would be a an impossible dream in many of our woods. A now gone to happier hunting grounds friend of mine took one heck of a lot of CT deer with his .357 Rossi.
    In 2020 congress finally forced the VA to provide Agent Orange coverage to Blue Water Navy Vietnam veterans. RIP shipmates that never received proper care.

Boolit Bub
    I voted .45 colt. ill take the larger caliber every time

Mom used a 32-20 to kill big bad deer.

Boolit Man
    I'm not sure what a .45 LONG Colt is. Are you asking about the .45 Colt?

Anyhow, I do not load the .45 Colt in a rifle. It is strictly a pistol cartridge.

On the other hand, the .357 Magnum is a very good rifle cartridge. Personally, I like to use the Keith bullet. Cast very hard, and with a stout powder charge behind it, it will take a deer with authority. Any 158 gr., or heavier, jacketed bullet will work well too.

My $.02 worth...
    Winchester1873
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    NRA Endowment Member
    SASS #4489

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by barefooter175 View Post
    I'm not sure what a .45 LONG Colt is. Are you asking about the .45 Colt?
    The 45 Colt verse the 45 Long Colt nomenclator has be going on for over a hundred years. While the term Long Colt has never been an official designation it is helpful for the masses to ensure they get the proper ammo. That was true in the day when the Schofield was common and even more true today with non-gun types have confusion over the 45 ACP verse the other 45 Cal options.

https://www.ammoland.com/2016/09/45-...#axzz64pASHVlX
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-09-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast