Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer Ejector for 336 Marlin

Boolit Buddy

Longer Ejector for 336 Marlin

I'm in the final stages of converting a 30-30 Western Auto 336 Marlin to 45 Colt. Test firing and refinishing remain. The ejector could stand to be longer so I was wondering, what shorter cartridges was the 336 chambered in from the factory? I don't think the 336 was ever chambered by Marlin in 45 Colt but it was chambered in 44 Mag. It is doubtful I'd find a new or used original 44 Mag ejector but a picture of the real deal would be nice if anyone has one. Even nicer would be if a scale was laid aside it.

I bought new Marlin parts from Brownell's to convert this rifle to a non-barrel band fore-end close to ten years ago. Dunno what's available these days through either Brownell's or Ruger or what current Ruger production parts fit older guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Edit: age clouds my memory. The 336 was briefly offered in .44 Mag, not .357.

They made a few thousand 336s in .357 magnum. Probably not going to find one “for parts” and if you did, I don’t know that the ejector is any different than the thuty thuty.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 09-06-2023 at 03:45 AM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post
    I'm in the final stages of converting a 30-30 Western Auto 336 Marlin to 45 Colt. Test firing and refinishing remain. The ejector could stand to be longer so I was wondering, what shorter cartridges was the 336 chambered in from the factory? I don't think the 336 was ever chambered by Marlin in 45 Colt but it was chambered in 44 Mag. It is doubtful I'd find a new or used original 44 Mag ejector but a picture of the real deal would be nice if anyone has one. Even nicer would be if a scale was laid aside it.

I bought new Marlin parts from Brownell's to convert this rifle to a non-barrel band fore-end close to ten years ago. Dunno what's available these days through either Brownell's or Ruger or what current Ruger production parts fit older guns.
    I have no idea re "short" calibres -- I own 336 Marlins and one is in .30-30 Winchester; the other in .35 Remington.
    geo

Why/how would it make any difference?
    Cognitive Dissident

Longer Ejector for 336 Marlin

Get an extra standard ejector for the 336, protect the flat spring from heat, and weld/braze/ solder an extension on it(if needed).
    If your 30-30 extractor hangs on to the the .45 Colt case well enough, the standard ejector might work.
    We like pictures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Why/how would it make any difference?
    When cycling loaded rounds of a 325gr LFN there is (without measuring) about .750" of surplus bolt travel before the case contacts the ejector. If I cycle slowly, like when emptying the rifle in a tree stand catching the loaded rounds, the cartridge droops enough the bullet drags the inside of the receiver (on the right side) sometimes leaving a bit of a gouge as the ejector flips the cartridge out. If ejection is done briskly, no problem. Trying to address things I will end up wishing I'd taken time for BEFORE refinishing.

Thought about but haven't looked into seriously, lengthening the ejector groove and moving the existing ejector forward. But, that'd be adding one more unused hole to the left side of the receiver to the two there now . . .
    Last edited by scottnc; 09-05-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    We like pictures!

I will see if my 23 year old digital camera is up to the task. What aspect are you most interested in seeing?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottnc View Post

Out of curiosity, why are you wanting .45 Colt in a 336?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    "They made a few thousand 336s in .357 magnum"
    Never seen or heard of a 336 chambered in the 357 Mag (I do have a signed copy of Brophy's book). Only pistol round that I know of was the attempt to use the 336 with 44 Mag in the late 1960s. Didn't work as well as expected so Marlin re-issued the 1894 frame sized gun for all the piston sized cartridges.

Boolit Grand Master

Oops...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    Never seen or heard of a 336 chambered in the 357 Mag (I do have a signed copy of Brophy's book). Only pistol round that I know of was the attempt to use the 336 with 44 Mag in the late 1960s. Didn't work as well as expected so Marlin re-issued the 1894 frame sized gun for all the piston sized cartridges.
    Checked my notes and it seems my memory is fading and you are correct. The rifle I was looking at was a .44 Magnum. I apologize to you and the OP for the error.
    Last edited by imashooter2; 09-06-2023 at 03:42 AM.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

A .35 Remington extractor might hold the 45LC rim better.
    I’m just guessing here.
    Pics along the way of the barrel and action work it took is what I meant.

Boolit Master
    Having this same issue in my brain for a long time, several thoughts. You drill a hole farther forward to kick short round, then it comes loose bolt retracted normal length to reset hammer and that will never end or function well. The other two options in thought were to extend or make new internal ejector piece using original spring and location of dowel base which would stay in slot under bolt control and retention through fore and aft travel. Other thought was to rivet/screw a little farther forward a spring loaded something or other. What are you doing about the cartridge length in relation to carrier top and cutting off next round? Also the feed angle, the 44's had a stamped steel lifter added and anybody that has been around one was not impressed too much with smooth feeding shall we say (angle of the dangle). Another thought as you drift into the 336 mod world my head has been in for years, the ejection port. The forward of port is designed for kind of a pointy bottle neck cartridge, I have laid them on their side and open that front up and several turned into oval ports removing some or most taper. I am toying the idea of a 30 Badger single shot on one now, problem I am having is a .480" bolt face of a 35 Rem bolt and control issues with a .440" rim.

Boolit Buddy
    Gtek - Good thought on the problem with moving the ejector forward, I hadn't considered the domino effect of the move. I will give consideration to your thoughts of mounting something to the inner receiver. I have pictures of the cartridge lifter you mention from a 44 Mag 336 with a stamped steel, spring loaded, pop-up. I thought it was to limit the rearward travel of the cartridge when feeding so the case head contacted higher up on the bolt face while cycling? Cycling has been good so far with a well polished 30-30 lifter and bolt face. The barrel hood is highly polished and chamber edge rounded and polished too. It does like a firm hand on the lever though. No problem so far with the next round in the mag tube being held in place while feeding one. I did doctor the loading gate tab or whatever it's called, the next round nests against it. The lever had to be clearanced for the fatter round ala a 45-70 lever. I have on hand a spring loaded detent set screw matching that in at least some of the 44Mag 336's. It went in the space between the barrel and magazine tube and applied pressure to the front of the cartridge lifter. Not seen a need for it so far. The ejection port - the timing is such that the round/empty case is far enough to the rear to miss the tapered profile. The bolt face was trued, the diameter was fine as is. The extractor received just a spattering of polishing, it holds the cartridge tight but not quite flat to the bolt face. I made an action fixture for use in a mill vice. The I.D. of barrel threads in the receiver were truing to the bolt centerline - they were waaay out! The receiver barrel thread O.D. location/run out was decent - which is kinda weird. I guess the receiver was first bored (for whatever reason off center) then single point threaded on center? It worked out. The receiver barrel face was trued at the same time. Found a coated, formed cutting tool that is a very good match for the one-off Marlin barrel thread. Had to make a tool holder for it. Biggest challenge was figuring out the cutting depth of the dovetails for the mag tube and fore end cap due to the custom barrel diameter and inlet mag tube. Had my dovetail clenched until I saw everything fit verifying they were correct!
    Last edited by scottnc; 09-06-2023 at 10:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Out of curiosity, why are you wanting .45 Colt in a 336?
    Got caught up in black bear hunting in western NC where the shots are usually quite close and thought having both a rifle and revolver sharing the same round made sense. At least it rationalized the desire for another gun project. Found a not-ready-for-prime-time, very used pre-crossbolt 30-30 in the backroom of a pawn shop, had Manson make a chamber reamer to match fired cases from my Blackhawk, had Douglas make a custom o.d. 1 in 20 barrel . . . and nearly ten years later, here we are.

Thanks. Could the rifle be converted back to .30-30 if the project hits a dead end? As you know, any Marlin 30-30 is worth alot more than 10 years ago these days.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    One who has built a few Frankenguns over the years, the ability to extract a loaded (uh-oh didn't go bang) round is a very good thing and I would suggest confirming.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Thanks. Could the rifle be converted back to .30-30 if the project hits a dead end? As you know, any Marlin 30-30 is worth alot more than 10 years ago these days.
    Increase in worth? This was a back room special - condition too sorry to go out front. Had to describe what I was wanting a beater 336 for before the pawn shop guy would admit to having it. Think I paid either $125 or $150 for it.

As far as reverting back to 30-30: Screw the old barrel back in with an adjustment for headspace - setting it back a thread. Mag tube would have to be restored to revert back to a barrel band fore end.
    Last edited by scottnc; 09-07-2023 at 08:51 AM.

Even the worst looking but complete and functional Marlin or Winchester should fetch around $300 retail these days. Local shop had a 1996 model cheap mart grade 94 in not terrible but not good condition for $450.00 the other day and it sold within a few hours for asking price. This shop tends to price things a bit low if anything.

Boolit Master
    if I'm not mistaken when marlin made the 336 in 44 mag it was only for very short period of time because it just did not work well. I'm pretty sure the ejector was part of the problem

Quote Originally Posted by nhithaca View Post
    They did make some round bolt Marlin 1894's https://www.marlinowners.com/threads...totype.529970/ Far as I know they never went into production and only saw the light of day when the assets were being sold off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast