PBcastcoMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to worry....

Boolit Master

I'm starting to worry....

Years ago I had a High Standard HD-Military. I eventually sold it and regretted that ever since. Then around 7 years ago, I acquired a High Standard Olympic, complete with box, papers, barrel weights and cleaning rod. Last year I got an HS Duramatic. This year I got an HS Model B U.S.. This weekend, I replaced the HS HD-Military........Is this turning into an obsession? Or would addiction be more accurate? I was also starring at an HS Sport King, but didn't have quite enough $ to purchase that too! Help! Is there any effective treatment????

Boolit Master

You do need help! Haven't you ever heard of "lay away"! You should have put what money you had left on that Sport King and paid it off later.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jimb16 View Post
    Years ago I had a High Standard HD-Military. I eventually sold it and regretted that ever since. Then around 7 years ago, I acquired a High Standard Olympic, complete with box, papers, barrel weights and cleaning rod. Last year I got an HS Duramatic. This year I got an HS Model B U.S.. This weekend, I replaced the HS HD-Military........Is this turning into an obsession? Or would addiction be more accurate? I was also starring at an HS Sport King, but didn't have quite enough $ to purchase that too! Help! Is there any effective treatment????
    Buy all versions-that's the cure
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Super Moderator

Ummmm....NO. Its not an obsession, it's a passion. I love the High Standard 22's too, and the M1 Carbines just like you. I think I remember you from the CMP Forum? We all enjoy certain aspects of this hobby (collecting fine firearms), and we do what we can afford to do as we can. The only cure is to continue to make or already have enough money to scratch the itch.

Boolit Master
    High I'm ______, I'm a High Standard junkie.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Grand Master
    Nothing wrong with you. You just need more money!

I started my .22 pistol shooting in the early 1960's with a HS Field King. I still have that one and a Victor that I got in the 1980's. I have a true love for High Standards. Amazingly accurate. When I win the lottery, I plan to have an incredible collection of High Standards. Until then, I'll just enjoy the two that I have.

Boolit Bub
    Some people tell me this kind of behavior is clearly an addiction, let me say this - it is ONLY an addiction if you are trying to QUIT! otherwise consider it a passion and if you're not spending the kid's milk money and the rent to cover the costs of this passion pull out the stops, life's short!
    A gun a month program use to be enough for me but I don't think I've limited it to that for a few years now. but for those that question me that's my story.

Moderator Emeritus

"My problem" is I go to a (gun) show and every so often (too often?) a firearm will ACTUALLY shout out, "buy me!" as I walk past it. So, I too, have a similar ailment as yours, 'cept yours is much more focused -- specializing in High Standard. In the mid-70's I had a Supermatic Trophy which I should have known shot better than I could, but being young and foolish (still foolish, albeit no longer young) I traded for a Ruger thinking my scores would go up... Bion, the High Standard is one of the many firearms I no longer have I REALLY miss -- so I am biased. Sadly, just a thought as I've "fought" MY ailment for years -- I think the only solution is to live with it -- and buy what you can (almost ) afford -- hoping to not have regrets for letting one pass you by or go, years down the road.
    geo

If you are looking for help to stop purchasing guns, you may have come to the wrong place. We are some of the worst enablers in the universe when it comes to buying guns.
    Personally, I would suggest you purchase as many and a varied guns as you can afford and then buy at last one more.

Boolit Master

I think all of us on here tend to buy or want to buy as many of what our eyes or hearts want at the time , I sympathize with you but have the same addiction as in a few hours I have to do paperwork on a couple . Meanwhile enjoy the heck out of them.

Boolit Master
    Give up. It's a non curable ailment. There are no support groups and it's not fatal. Mine is Ruger MKIs and single shot rifles and 22lrs of all kinds and lever guns and bolt guns. I don't like shotguns much but I have 10 or 12. Oh yeah, loading presses and bullets and primers and powder and brass. I better stop, I'm starting to worry myself.

Were I in a quandary I'll determine total cash paid for the HS's to date.
    Divide the latest temptation($) by that value getting a percentage.
    If you conscientiously use this formula and don't let it get over 100 I think you'll be okay.
    Actually I think the more you buy the smaller that number will be, and that's good.

Well, obviously you have high standards, now you just have to fund that obsession. Keep up the good work!

My biggest regret in guns is selling my H-S Victor, complete with box, papers, target, bill of sale, etc.

My biggest regret about the Victor(LNIB with all docs.) I obtained is showing to a friend.
    She immediately presumed ownership of it.
    I did help her out later by buying a 22 short conversion unit NIB for it.
    As stated in the song 'Those were the days my friend,...'. Now doing well to even remember them!

Boolit Master
    Real Question is ammo. What quantities do you buy at one time? Everyone needs a good selection of 22 hand guns and rifles. Just don't run out of ammo.

Boolit Bub
    No support group??? that's what these forums are! The people I have met in person and then chat with through these forums help me all the time...
    My other support group comes in the form of my offspring, he says "Dad, I don't want your money when you pass, I like your taste in guns and you manage to find the good ones so keep buying them, that's all I want..."

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Sooooooo........................ you have already secured your hold of a 10-X right ???

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

My first HI-Std was a HD Military that I found in bottom of my duffle bag over 50yrs ago. I've had serval different models since but always ended up trading them off. I've always held on to the HD Mil and a S&W 41. I've got several S&W 22 revolvers and my main shooters are K22s. I always wanted a long barrel HD-Mil and picked one up last year. It doesn't make sense but I shoot them better than the more expensive match grade pistols. One handed NRA style I shoot it better than 41 S&W.

(2) HD Military, Sport King w/ 2 barrels, Derringer in 22 mag, Double Nine, Double Nine Convertible, Sentinel Deluxe.... I am just getting started, so you are in good company here!!
    fools rush in where angels fear to tread...Alexander Pope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast