RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: Replacement spring for Hornady AP primer slider

Boolit Bub

Replacement spring for Hornady AP primer slider

I think I need to replace the spring on my Hornady AP that pulls the primer slide into place when lowering the shell plate. I have about 30k cycles on this press. Midway USA sells them for $3 plus another $4 for shipping. So I tried to line up an exact match from Macmaster Carr and I could not get an exact match. I would rather spend $14 and have a lifetime supply than spend $7 for one.

My question to the group; has anyone replaced this spring without buying a Hornady replacement spring? If so, can you share where you purchased it or the exact specs of the spring you bought?

If no one has bought a replacement spring like this, what factors do I need to make almost exact, and what can I have a fudge factor on?

Here are the specs from my original spring:
    wire dia: .023"
    body dia: .0248"
    overall length: 1.196"

From the press, I'm estimating that the max travel required is about 2.2". I can not get my calibers in well to take a more accurate measurement.

Call Hornady.

They might send ya one for free, or make you a good deal, ,,,,, and it'll be the right one.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    call Hornady they will send you one for free. I also need to call them for a primer part..

Boolit Master
    I just got a large primer punch, large primer tube housing body and a slide spring from Hornady all free of charge. Up to you but I’d be phoning Hornady.

Boolit Master
    You might try Century Spring

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Why not shorten the spring you have by a couple of coils ?
    You'd have to bend/reform a loop on the end though.

Most Ace Hardware stores have a big variety/assortment of springs that would have something you could use.
    Just buy an extension spring that matches and cut off the length you need and bend the ends you need.
    The rest of the spring will become spares.

Just know that I'm someone who modifies everything and have a similar spring on my RCBS presses...that I have modified
    jmo,

edit: I watched a vid of this press and it appears that spring operates in a wide-open space allowing a replacement to be a bigger/smaller size/or something just close.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 09-19-2019 at 12:26 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Call Hornady.

They might send ya one for free, or make you a good deal, ,,,,, and it'll be the right one.
    I had so many issues with my primer slide on mine. Worked through most the issues then the ez-ject quit working and was told I needed a new plate. No pro bono. I was told I used my press too much by the rep and that they’ve sent me too many parts. Well.......that’s the last time I purchased anything Hornady except bullets. Hope when you call, your experience is better than mine.