WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W model 29-2 sight in

Boolit Mold

S&W model 29-2 sight in

I've got a new (to me) 29-2. I can't sight it in the way I'd like to shoot it. That is to say, at 25 yards I must do a 6 O'Clock hold to hit what I want to hit. The rear sight is bottomed. I don't prefer a 6 O'Clock hold. I'd much rather point of aim.

Now to my question. Is this expected for this revolver? 5 inches high seems rather a lot. I have no idea if the sights are original but they look appropriate and not muddled with.

Options? How hard would it be to get a rear sight insert of a different height? Or is a taller front sight easier (unlikely; I fear marring the revolver trying to hammer the pin out)...

-Brian

Are you by any chance shooting bullets heavier than 240 grains? That would help with evaluating your request. Most of the Model 29's I've shot were pretty much regulated for the standard 240 gr. Magnum load. Heavier bullets tend to shoot higher, and lighter bullets tend to shoot lower.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Banned
    What bullet weight are you shooting?

Opps, reloaderfred beat me to it.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Are you by any chance shooting bullets heavier than 240 grains? That would help with evaluating your request. Most of the Model 29's I've shot were pretty much regulated for the standard 240 gr. Magnum load. Heavier bullets tend to shoot higher, and lighter bullets tend to shoot lower.
    I'm shooting Lyman 429421, which are supposed to be 245grn, though mine actually weigh about 253grn with lube. I'd hate to switch molds; this one makes such beautiful bullets. Though now I'm wondering if I should try a 210grn 429215 before messing with the sights.

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenfifty View Post
    I'm shooting Lyman 429421, which are supposed to be 245grn, though mine actually weigh about 253grn with lube. I'd hate to switch molds; this one makes such beautiful bullets. Though now I'm wondering if I should try a 210grn 429215 before messing with the sights.
    Alter your load first. Drive that 250 Keith at a higher velocity unless you are already max. The higher velocity will print lower . Sometimes a lot . What load are you using?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In my S&W Model 29-2 I use Accurate 43-230G which shoots to the sights bottomed out with any charge, mostly 7.2 grains of Bullseye, but also fine with heavier loads of 22 grs. of Alliant #2400 or 24grs. of IMR4227.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a no dash 629 with the same problem. At 50yds it shot 2’ high with 240gr factory ammo and 16” high with factory 180’s. I took it to the local Smith and he told me there’s no fix. So it went down the road. I hope you have better luck then I did.

Boolit Master
    That seems odd that the 180 gr slug would shoot that much higher than the 240 at 50 yds. Also odd that your smith would say there's no fix for that 629, isn't that a pinned front sight? If so it's a simple fix.

Dick

You should have the standard .146" sight blade on your pistol. They make/sell a .126" sight blade.

You need to lower your rear sight or raise your front sight .040" to achieve poa with that firearm/load combo.

Distance between sights ='s 7.25"
    Amount high on target 5"
    distance load tested 25yds or 900"

7.25" x (5"/900") ='s .040"

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdoc View Post
    Alter your load first. Drive that 250 Keith at a higher velocity unless you are already max. The higher velocity will print lower . Sometimes a lot . What load are you using?
    It's very mild (for 44mag) -- 11 gr of Herco. Even at that it chronos 1250 from this long barrel. I'll stuff some H110 and see what that does. I don't really enjoy wrist-thumping loads though.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure you would notice, but is there any chance this is a 10 5/8" barrel Silhouette model?

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Midway has the .126 rear sight blade with screw for less than $9.00. Definitely, as Forrest r posted, that is the way to go.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    I'm sure you would notice, but is there any chance this is a 10 5/8" barrel Silhouette model?
    Nope. Barrel is 8 inches.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    Midway has the .126 rear sight blade with screw for less than $9.00. Definitely, as Forrest r posted, that is the way to go.
    Yes, I'll probably go this route. Though I'll still a) try some hotter loads and b) try some lighter bullets first. "Just to see".
    Thanks everyone. I'll post the results when I have them.

-Brian

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by fifteenfifty View Post
    Yes, I'll probably go this route. Though I'll still a) try some hotter loads and b) try some lighter bullets first. "Just to see".
    Thanks everyone. I'll post the results when I have them.

-Brian
    Easier there. If you have a .146" tall front sight, and install a .126", it is going to shoot even higher, not lower.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Easier there. If you have a .146" tall front sight, and install a .126", it is going to shoot even higher, not lower.
    I think they meant a lower rear sight as those are the standard rear sight sizes smith uses along with others. Light heavy bullet loads usually shoot high do to time the bullet is in the barrel as recoil raises the barrel. Old Elmer wrote this up years ago. I think he noted that the longer the barrel, the worse it gets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    A lower sight blade for the rear sight is another alternative. Or grind a little bit off the bottom of the rear sight.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I shoot 29-2s. The red ramp fronts drive me crazy. My eyes can't handle them. Every S&W I own has front replaced with a Patridge blade. The front is pinned in ramp. A higher front is what you need. I've never got satisfaction out of changing rear blade. The Baughman ramps on 34s and 28s get polished from holsters and are not the best for clear definition of top of sight. I have a small collection of S&Ws and only have 3 with out blade fronts. The 34, a 25-5 and a NIB 29-2. The 25-5 is a later model with non replaceable front as is 34 or I would change them out.

I have a Ruger SBH 3screw that I got new in 1964. It has same problem and front sight is to short. It shoots fine at 100yds with hot 240gr loads. Now shooting 180s to get it to print at 40yds.

I know your problem from exact same first hand experience.
    Why hammer yourself and the gun with a heavy load, just to shoot paper?

I chose to shoot the Lyman 429348 WC 180 gr.
    Light charges of Bullseye or Unique, and it will shoot to the same point of aim as a 240 gr. Full power load.

I shoot same bullet as 6string with same type loads. As a matter of fact he the one who put me on to this bullet.
    I shoot them in m24 44sp and 29-2s. I've not run out of adj on a S&W yet. All my shooter are 6"-6.5"-8 3/8. I don't know if this run out affects shorter barrels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast