RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worth $300 price difference

Worth $300 price difference

I am thinking about getting a lever action 44 and that is about the price difference between a Rossi and a Henry. Is the Henry worth it or just spend some time slicking up a Rossi?

You are the only who can answer that. buy the one you want and after a while tell the forum which you bought and why.

Boolit Grand Master

$300 is a lot of components. We have a lot of folks here that are satisfied with their Rossi. If “All American made or not made at all” suits you, the Henry is your huckleberry. Both will serve you well.

If there is any way you can test drive both of them that would be best. I know its not as easy to do as with a car but try to get a hold of both and handle them better yet shoot one of each. I have had both and feel that they are VERY DIFFERENT. that being said I like them both.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

The American made and warranty is one of the reasons that I am in this situation. It may take awhile before I decide but I always take my time and try to do my due diligence to prevent buyer remorse and picking the brains and experience of others is a great aid.

I do not have a Henry, but do have 3 Rossi levers. They all needed some TLC to work properly. After the refinements, I consider them to be a good value.

Banned
    I would go with Henry just based on future availability of parts, accessories, responsive customer service, etc.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

If you want to shoot heavier boollits, the Rossi has a better twist rate. I do have to put the plug in for Roze bullets. http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant...Code=ZBJ-44MAG They shoot great out of my Rossi and super Backhawk. Now back to the gun. Rossi has a .432 bbl that means you'll have to get a new mold, size die and seat and crimp in separate steps. I bought my Rossi at Budsgunshop.com with a lifetime warrenty. The Henry comes with one. Rossi shot 12" high and the forearm screw is inserted with a press good luck getting it back in without filling it down. I had to send mine back to Buds to have them get the screw back in and they fixed the 12" high shooting. That took 4 months but they did a good job. All and All I would spend the extra and go with Henry. They don't have any love for customer service at Rossi.

Marlin? Just my opinion but Henry’s are heavy and Rossi’s need tuning so why not a Marlin- I’ve owned two Marlins and 3 Rossi’s but no Henry’s. Once the Rossi’s are lined out they are a delight.

Boolit Master

By the way its 177 difference in price. https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+44mag+carbine

177$ doesn’t get you too far at the gunsmiths trying to make the Rossi work. So unless you are a gunsmith or are sleeping with one, get the Henry.

Banned

I'm not a fan of the silly safety on the Rossi.........I have a Henry in 44 magnum and 45 Colt that have both operated flawlessly for the past 8 years!

Boolit Bub

If you want one that works out of the box, buy the Henry. If there is a problem with it, it will be fixed fast.
    Can't say that about the Rossi.

FWIW, my .357 Rossi works. Out of the box. 2018 new manufacturing plant production.
    The Henrys I've handled were NO more smooth than the Rossi and in my opinion, rougher action. BTW, different guns.
    I've done nothing to my Rossi to make it 'better' than shoot it. Just my opinion. I think you are paying the difference in name recognition and US manufacture which is good for the most part

Boolit Master
    My 454 Puma has worked well from day one. I did remove the silly safety and install a home made peep. I have never handled or shot the Henry so I can't compare them.

The Rossi is a Honda Accord. The Henry is a Cadillac.

If it is for use, get a Rossi (or Marlin). If you want it to look good while you use it get the Henry.

You're buying something that will hopefully last a lifetime, then become a family heirloom.
    I'd choose wisely.

I'm not big on imports in general, and imported firearms in particular.
    With my 5 Marlins (One in .44Mag.) and an old Winchester, I've never felt they were "almost as good as" some import.
    Or had to make excuses for them.
    Nor have I ever had buyer's remorse with them.

There used to be a bumper sticker that read:
    "Buy American. The job you save may be your own".
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-18-2019 at 12:51 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Thank y’all for your info it helps getting as much of other people’s experience as you can to decide. Kungfustyle I agree with you on the Zero bullets or Roze distribution before I started casting my own I used the 240 j bullet and they were excellent. The other thing that helps is that they are less than an hour from my house. Those are most likely what I will use when I get a lever gun.
    Last edited by Iwsbull; 09-16-2019 at 09:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    They're priced about the same ~ $100/lb...

Boolit Bub

FWIW, my 357 Rossi NEVER worked out of the box. Two trips to the Rossi repair shop in Florida, a 3 to 4 month turn a round, and it still won't work. It hides in the closet now.
    My 357 Henry was flawless from day one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast