Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lyman 454-647

Boolit Master

Lyman 454-647

Hello All,
    I bought this mold online. I know it was designed by Dick Casull for the 454 Casull but I haven't been able to find much documented reloading info for it. Can anyone help guide me in the right direction? Thanks Boats

Boolit Master

That is the the original 300 gr and he later moved on to the 454-651 325 gr with a dual crimp grooves I believe. After the 454 run for Freedom Arms, Lyman continued the 651 mold in 452 diameter. I'm on my third mold and it's going back too for being undersized. This time I'll tell them to keep the small lopsided mold. I would have been money ahead just buying the NOE copy. For a general idea, i'd start with 452-651 data in the several recent Lyman books and work up from there. If your loading to 454 Casuall pressures, the 651 has done well in my pistol with 27.0 of H110.

FA used to have data on their site for both examples when they sold the molds and if I recall, 27.0 was on the conservative side for the 651. Hopefully someone will chime in with a copy of FA's data for either the 454-647 or 651.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
    That is the the original 300 gr and he later moved on to the 454-651 325 gr with a dual crimp grooves I believe. After the 454 run for Freedom Arms, Lyman continued the 651 mold in 452 diameter. I'm on my third mold and it's going back too for being undersized. This time I'll tell them to keep the small lopsided mold. I would have been money ahead just buying the NOE copy. For a general idea, i'd start with 452-651 data in the several recent Lyman books and work up from there. If your loading to 454 Casuall pressures, the 651 has done well in my pistol with 27.0 of H110.

FA used to have data on their site for both examples when they sold the molds and if I recall, 27.0 was on the conservative side for the 651. Hopefully someone will chime in with a copy of FA's data for either the 454-647 or 651.
    Thanks