RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bullet Pullers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I purchased these, with initial thoughts I spent way too much money for them -- e.g., they were grossly overpriced. Then, a short while afterwards, I took on the job of taking apart several hundred (military) .30-'06 cases to remove primers, powder, drilling holes through sides, and reassemble for a CMP clinic use -- 60 filled en blocs. Complemented with an ollllld Pacific single stage "O"-type press, I recall but two or three cases which were too stubborn (the varnish ) for their hold to be greater than required to pull the bullets. Since then, I rarely use them -- my "go-to" being the Quinetics inertia type. A "mod" I use is a bunch of wood dowels I cut to various lengths -- I didn't like the Quinetics dumping bullet AND powder -- MESS!!! -- so, the cut dowel is dropped in, enabling the bullet to be knocked out all but a smidgeon (technical term -- dowels were cut by "eye", and the plan was/is to leave just a wee bit of bullet still in case after inertial pounding: generally easily wiggled out by hand, to enable cleanly dumping powder). Problem solved, which works for me... However, for bullets varnished to cases, the Grip-N-Pull would, imho, be hard to beat. I, too, have the RCBS bullet pullers which did not work at all pulling the '06 bullets.
    geo
    The stick trick is a great idea! I may have to borrow that one! I hate the mess they make, especially if the case jumps out!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Bub
    I like mine. Wear a glove for cushion.

Boolit Master
    I have a rcbs collet puller with a bunch of collets but don't use it. I prefer the inertia puller and rap it on the concrete floor. Wore out a couple of the stock aluminum collets but never broke the puller. Never found a bullet it won't pull. Sometimes have to seat the bullet deeper to break the seal.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a plastic hammer type puller with shellholders for some things but also have an RCBS collet puller.
    But when it gets down to the serious stuff a 14 inch set of horseshoe nippers and my RCBS Rockchucker make short work of any rifle rounds with cannelured boolits. Works on pistol bullets with extended shell holders.

I have had a RCBS inertia puller for 40 years and it works just fine. I like the shell holder mod and if I have more than a few to do I use a shell holder instead of fiddling with the little collet.

Somebody just gave me a brand new RCBS puller the other day so I'm good to go forever. The hot tip on these pullers is to hit something hard that does move so you can get a sharp "Rap" on the tool. This increases the actual inertia because the tool comes to an immediate stop as opposed to hitting some softer material which provides a slower stop to the tool. I usually hit the cement floor or sometimes I use a big piece of steel plate on the bench so I don't have to bend over repeatedly. (Economy of motion?) (possibly avoidance of gut?)

I have about 150 rounds of .30-06 that were given to me, but the guy neglected to write down which powder he used in them. I pulled one but couldn't ID the powder so I have to open all of them up. Lots of nice bullets and cases to reuse so it is just pull the bullet, dump powder, recharge and reseat the bullet. This will be a fairly big job and I like MDI above will do it in small bites,,, as that's the way I work on everything now.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

Found this one at a gun show several years ago, $3 if I remember correctly. Used it a number of times with cast and jacketed with no problems. That is until I lost my grip. Now, if I'm serious, I use a Vice-Grip. (sorry about the fuzzy photo)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	249055
    Fact: Some people are alive simply because it's illegal to kill them.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    I use both inertia and RCBS collet style pullers but have one other that I've never seen anywhere else. It's a hollow cylinder, threaded like a die (7/8x14) and has what looks like a sharp edge coil spring inside. You push the loaded round up and the spring grips the bullet, then lower the ram and the bullet is pulled neat as can be...........except.........it leave marks on the bullet like nobody's business. Horribly disfigured and useless, but I suppose if you didn't want to save the projectiles it would be dandy. It mostly sits on the bench as a curiosity these days.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12