MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Good mold for a Winchester 71 348?

Boolit Buddy

Good mold for a Winchester 71 348?

I ran out of 270gr bullets, so I loaded some 195's I had. But, with them crimped in the crimp groove, the band in front of the crimp groove is into the rifling.
    I'm looking for a mold for a bullet in the 220 to 240 range with a shape that works a little better.

Banned

RCBS will make a special order 200 grain mould. I found one cheap on a S&W forum for a Siamese mauser I have that's been re-barreled to 348 Winchester. It's a tackdriver with it too!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/349-250-...ld-jim349250gc, don't let the Out of stock throw you off, they don't keep all the blocks on hand, but will make one as the order comes in. 2-3 weeks will likely find the new mould in your mailbox.

You might also take a look at Accurate moulds, he offers a few designs for the 348, and he will make you one to your specs.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master
    I recommend the Accurate 35-220C. I have both that and the RCBS and find the heavier boolit shoots a tad better, however, either will work.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester85 View Post
    I ran out of 270gr bullets, so I loaded some 195's I had. But, with them crimped in the crimp groove, the band in front of the crimp groove is into the rifling.
    I'm looking for a mold for a bullet in the 220 to 240 range with a shape that works a little better.
    That’s because like most levergun rifle cartridges the 348 has no throat. When I did a throat impression of mine (B-71), what I thought was a short throat was actually a slightly longer neck. What I did to solve the interference of the front drive band was to use a Lee FCD and crimp the cast bullets in position so they still chambered and cycled freely.

I have the two GC versions of CBE’s 348 moulds and both are accurate. The 220 gr version is designed so that the lube grooves are contained within the neck. With the heavier bullet (around 270gr) the GC shank does sit below the neckline a little, but it still works fine and for the loads I used was marginally more accurate. In the 348 the GC’s have a good purchase on the bullet shank unlike some other calibres, notably 44 and 45 cals.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    That’s because like most levergun rifle cartridges the 348 has no throat. When I did a throat impression of mine (B-71), what I thought was a short throat was actually a slightly longer neck. What I did to solve the interference of the front drive band was to use a Lee FCD and crimp the cast bullets in position so they still chambered and cycled freely.

I have the two GC versions of CBE’s 348 moulds and both are accurate. The 220 gr version is designed so that the lube grooves are contained within the neck. With the heavier bullet (around 270gr) the GC shank does sit below the neckline a little, but it still works fine and for the loads I used was marginally more accurate. In the 348 the GC’s have a good purchase on the bullet shank unlike some other calibres, notably 44 and 45 cals.
    I like my CBE 220grain mold - eyball wise that boolit looks plenty long enough - it loads nice, shoots good, performs good on game (the few times I tried it) so i looked no further. (actually liked it better than the 200grain hornady which blew up on a couple of tough old boar pigs - theyd bin rollin in too much mud I think)

Boolit Mold
    I did a chamber pound cast for my Browning model 71 and sent it off to Veral Smith of LBT. My mold casts at 210 grains, and I'm happy with it.
    Do a chamber cast and see exactly what you can get away with. I can't go any heavier/longer because of lifter issues, but that's the gun, not the boolit.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Allen View Post
    I did a chamber pound cast for my Browning model 71 and sent it off to Veral Smith of LBT. My mold casts at 210 grains, and I'm happy with it.
    Do a chamber cast and see exactly what you can get away with. I can't go any heavier/longer because of lifter issues, but that's the gun, not the boolit.
    Something you fellers may not have thought of ---CBE (Cast Bullet Engineering) prices are in Aussie dollars - $AU is around U$ 0.67 cents at the moment - a one third discount

(your stuff is a 50% markup from our end and that is starting to hurt)

Boolit Grand Master
    Although, not what you asked for, when you get tired of loosening your fillings and just want to shoot some for some trigger time funsies, a load I recommend is a 358-429 sized .350-.351 over 13.5 grains of Red Dot or 17.5 grains of 2400. Recoil is modest and accuracy, at least at 50 yards, is pretty good. The only fly in the ointment is they hit really low. plan on jacking that rear sight all the way up.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-8-13 026.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	249546
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.