Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baked beans

Baked beans

Made my first batch ever a couple of weeks ago and took 'em to a BBQ at a buddy's house. They were excellent and they got cleaned out!

I used this recipe, being as it was my first time. https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...-from-scratch/

Makin' more today but I didn't have the white Navy beans like I thought I did so I'm trying it with black beans.

Great stuff!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

This is the recipe that I've been using with good results ...

Boston Baked Beans (traditional Bean Pot method)

1 - 2 1/2-quart bean pot (or covered casserole)
    2 pounds beans
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 pound salt pork (or bacon or ham)
    1 medium onion -- peeled and diced into large pieces
    8 tablespoons of brown sugar
    2/3 cup molasses
    2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set them aside.

Dice the salt pork (or bacon or ham) into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.

Mix the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with about 3 cups of saved hot water from the beans and pour over top (or add more until the beans are just covered). Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven. Bake for about 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the amount of liquid remaining. Add a bit of water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist, but do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve warm.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

That looks delicious!

These came out wonderful today. The black beans have a slightly richer taste than the navy beans. The neighbors always win out with these!

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Yeah, these don't last too long whenever I make a batch ... my wife absolutely loves them ... (and so do I!)
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

They're even better with a freshly baked batch of cornbread ...

In Remembrance

Reverend Al, that dish looks really good especially with a side of cornbread.
    I make cheater beans, Campbell's pork and beans mostly drained then add ketchup and some dark brown sugar, how much of each is a by the taste thing and draining the beans first keeps them from being too runny when the ketchup cooks in.
    Sometimes I add in hot dog slices for beaner weiners or some ground beef, one time I did all three, beans, dogs and burger at once and called it "The whole picnic in one pot", it was actually a hit, lol.

Boolit Buddy
    All sounds great !

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Salt pork and molasses. We also use a little maple syrup but being from Vermont I guess that's expected. Don't cook me homemade beans with ketchup in them. If I want that I'll open a can of Campbell's.

Reverend Al: What type of beans do you use? Northern?

Don't forget the Brown Bread!!!!!!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    Made my first batch ever a couple of weeks ago and took 'em to a BBQ at a buddy's house. They were excellent and they got cleaned out!

I used this recipe, being as it was my first time. https://www.fromvalerieskitchen.com/...-from-scratch/

Makin' more today but I didn't have the white Navy beans like I thought I did so I'm trying it with black beans.

Great stuff!

--Wag--
    Let us know how the substitution of black beans for navy beans works out !
    Sounds interesting but I'll wait on your taste test report before I go to the trouble of cooking up a pot of black beans that no one wants to eat .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The black beans have a richer bean taste than the navy beans do and it comes out in the end result. It's very good. Much darker color, too, of course. And dang good!

One thing I did do, though, is pour off all of the "black water" after the initial soaks and cooks and used fresh water for the oven cook.

Do it!

And yeah, they're all gone! I shoulda thought of the cornbread, though. Maybe tonight!

--Wag--

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Reverend Al: What type of beans do you use? Northern?
    Mostly white Navy beans as they are readily available here ...

Boolit Grand Master

Baked beans using black beans , I would have never thought to try it !
    Thank's for the tip about pouring off the "black water" ... The last/only time I cooked black beans I didn't do this and they came out much too black... India ink black look wasn't appetizing ... what do a Cajun know about cooking black beans...not very much .
    But I'm learning !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I add maple syrup to mine as well, also only use yellow eye beans I grow in the garden.

Boolit Master

My family prefers Jacob's cattle beans or for the best Soldier beans. Navy beans come in third.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    This is the recipe that I've been using with good results ...

Boston Baked Beans (traditional Bean Pot method)

1 - 2 1/2-quart bean pot (or covered casserole)
    2 pounds beans
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    1 pound salt pork (or bacon or ham)
    1 medium onion -- peeled and diced into large pieces
    8 tablespoons of brown sugar
    2/3 cup molasses
    2 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set them aside.

Dice the salt pork (or bacon or ham) into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.

Mix the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with about 3 cups of saved hot water from the beans and pour over top (or add more until the beans are just covered). Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven. Bake for about 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the amount of liquid remaining. Add a bit of water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist, but do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve warm.

Those look delicious

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

They never do last very long! (And neither does the cornbread either ...)

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I love me some baked beans!!

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    I usually use Pintos for both baked beans and ham and beans because the price is right, free.

The wife makes sour dough cornbread that is about the only way I want my cornbread anymore. The texture is nice and firm, it's moist and has a really great flavor.

The other thing we do is make cornmeal waffles and serve the beans on the waffles, sort of like hot beef sandwiches.

I guess I know what we're having for supper tonight.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Banned

I just made a batch to can. All I had was navy beans. I usually use half navy half pintos and it just wasn't the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post

Great stuff!

--Wag--

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    I just made a batch to can. All I had was navy beans. I usually use half navy half pintos and it just wasn't the same.
    Sounds yummy man

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast