MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: T/C or Traditions

T/C or Traditions

New to muzzleloading rifles. I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter (both cap n ball and black powder cartridge) and BPCR.

I want to shoot a couple of primitive biathlon's and looking for a rifle. There is a TC 45 cal that is described as "very good" but I wont see it for a couple of days for $295 and muzzleloaders.com has a Traditions Hawken Woodsman in 50, new, for $395. Cost is really not a factor.

What worries me about the TC is weight, a pound heavier than the Traditions and from what I've been reading on the net...a lack of repair parts.

The biathlon's have targets at 40-50 yards so I don't need a tack driver.

I'm actually leaning towards the new Traditions rifle but I know nothing of their quality.

Any and all comments welcome.

Boolit Master

I'm a fan of T/C but all the ones I have were made before S&W bought them so I do not know about the newer ones
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

If possible handle each rifle and see which one 'feels' better. I am kinda partial to TC. Quality/finish and fit is 'usually' better. Just my humble opinion! YMMV.

I know the T/C is usually the better rifle but based on my concerns about parts and weight, would I get hurt buying Traditions?

Boolit Mold
    You wouldn't get hurt buying it but you would be happier down the line with the T/C.Better quality than the Traditions.IMO

Boolit Master

Take a look at Track of the Wolf, Jim Chambers, Jedediah Star and Dixie Gun Works. Just a few place you can get 'custom' kits to your specs.

Have you thought of a fowler, quick easy loading good for the range you are talking about. They will weigh less than a rifle. You can shoot either buck shot or round ball.
    Parts for TC can be found at Numrich arms (sometimes) and Dixie gun works.

Just some more things to think about.

I have six T/C's of varying calibers....Ive never found a shortage of parts...ebay is full of used and the mentioned dealers have most of the new and aftermarket parts..I find a pound difference in weight is hardly felt when lugging it around....I would go for what feels right when its in your shoulder and your ready to pull that trigger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwilly View Post
    New to muzzleloading rifles. I'm a Cowboy Action Shooter (both cap n ball and black powder cartridge) and BPCR.

I want to shoot a couple of primitive biathlon's and looking for a rifle. There is a TC 45 cal that is described as "very good" but I wont see it for a couple of days for $295 and muzzleloaders.com has a Traditions Hawken Woodsman in 50, new, for $395. Cost is really not a factor.

What worries me about the TC is weight, a pound heavier than the Traditions and from what I've been reading on the net...a lack of repair parts.

The biathlon's have targets at 40-50 yards so I don't need a tack driver.

I'm actually leaning towards the new Traditions rifle but I know nothing of their quality.

Any and all comments welcome.
    Weight is all in the right place with the TC, hence so is accuracy . And my 45 s are not heavy just accurate /Ed

If you can find a small half stock for cheap and stick the barrel you want on it...

Then make it what you want.

USMC 77, USRA 79

i should say I have 3 traditions, and all have served me wonderfully... good price point.. available parts... pretty decent build... i especially like my inline 50 buckstalker with the speed breech plug.. i can put 4 shots through the center at 100 with my homemade primer caps, home made powder and home made lee real... whats not to like?
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks All. I'm driving to Maine for a cowboy shoot and will be able to stop at KTP to see the TC on Thursday but the Traditions is mail order. We'll see how it looks.

By the way I shoot a 9lb Henry 1860 for cowboy so shooting the 9lb TC isn't the issue, it's lugging it around. I do wish it was as light as my trapdoor carbine though

This is the TC. All the pics Kittery sent me look good but no bore description
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1070313_02.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	247795
    Last edited by wbwilly; 09-04-2019 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Are you only looking at the TC hawken? The new englander is a pound lighter or so. Comparing TC and Traditions, it isn't even a comparison. Thompson Center is better. Parts are no problem. Nipples are a standard thread. You can find any part used on ebay easy. What else do you need? Other than the nipple, there isn't anything to replace.

Boolit Master
    I prefer the T/C. Don't worry much about the bore. It can always be redone by Bobby Hoyt, 717-642-6696, he can change caliber too, as long as a bad bore is cheap enough to buy. Parts are available on flea bay and L&R Lock, as well as Track of the Wolf. Weathervane across the street from KTP has good, in-expensive food.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Thanks. KTP has a bunch of rifles so I'll look when I get there. I want a Hawken simply because I've always wanted one. The rifle will not get used much, maybe a couple of times a year and I just want it to be accurate enough so it doesn't embarrass me I'm not sure how many good years I have left to see the targets because of ARMD and this is solely for play.

Buzzard II, did you ever shoot the SASS NE Regional in NH?

Boolit Mold
    T/C has a great reputation, and if the bore is good to go, you should be very happy with it. Traditions: all I have fired are percussion models, Kentucky, Frontier, Hawken Woodsman, and all were excellent shooters. Never had a problem with them.

Boolit Master

Have it bored out, or replace the barrel to a larger bore! Lighter in weight.

Just remember bigger balls weigh more...….

Boolit Master
    Just another's opinion.
    I'd pick the Tradition for a all around shooter.
    45 cal calls for its shooter to be a very proficient shot. Especially when shooting patched ball. Little 126 gr ball fly's along at a pretty good clip thus I think its a tad flatter in trajectory than a 50 cal. But lacking in weight lessens energy and that's where the 50 cal Rules over the 45. Additionally a 50 cal parts and shooting components are very accessible. Now to the truth of me.

I personally shoot a T/c Hawken in 45 cal. It's my preferred for deer hunting North of the Mason Dixon. Light weight and having near nothing in recoil and its a handsome looking rifle. (In no way inferring that a Traditions isn't)
    I do shoot patched ball when hunting {only patch ball} as my rifle is equipped with a >Round Ball Only barrel so its rifling is lazier in twist to shoot Patch/ball very accurately.
    Get the Traditions. You'll be pleased with its performance.

Boolit Master
    The only complaint I have ever had with the TC is every time I see or Buy a used one, the stock has a crack in it on the left side, and sometimes all the way thru under the lock.
    I picked up 3 used ones back in 2015.
    They were all cracked, and any used stocks I looked at were cracked or actually cracked in two pieces.
    I made up some Jugs to be able to repair the cracks on most of them.
    And I have heard from others that TC's are known to crack the stocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thompson Hawkin 003.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    The only complaint I have ever had with the TC is every time I see or Buy a used one, the stock has a crack in it on the left side, and sometimes all the way thru under the lock.
    They were all cracked, and any used stocks I looked at were cracked or actually cracked in two pieces.
    Wow, Bummer.
    This is the first I have ever heard of this and I have been shooting T/C Hawkens since the 80's.
    My experience has been just the opposite.
    I have owned about half a dozen and no flaws in the stocks at all.
    Also I have handled a few dozen and never seen a crack before.
    Failure is not an Option

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Is this from over tightening the lock screw? Both my new englander and renegade have no cracks in their stock, purchased used. I've put some real tough loads through them too, more the renegade than the NE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast