Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When is Enough Enough?

I have two buddies that are treasure finder nuts. One goes to UK every year to detect. UK govt gets first crack at anything found so he don't get to keep much. Anyway they do the local lakes when they are drawn down for winter. They bring me coffee cans full of sinkers and jigs they find. I got to much of that kind of metal laying around. I'm not as anal as some with my bullet metal but I like uniformity and you can't have that melting random scrap. I'm shooting all either revolver target loads or LV rifle 25/20 through 45/70 so I never have to go beyond a 50:50 lead/ WW alloy, with a 20:1 tin added.

That chilled shot is worth more than scrap. I would be trading it at shows not melting it. Especially since it looks you ain't hurting for lead.

Boolit Master
    When is enough,enough?When the building you have it stored in begins to tilt towards the lead pile.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Buddy
    “He who knows that enough is enough will always have enough . . .”

Very old Chinese saying

Boolit Master
    Like ammo never enough.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

I called it good when I took the last 5 years of shooting and averaged against my stockpile. and realized I had a little over 100 years of lead supply. at this point I have enough to shoot, sell some, and still leave plenty for a hand me down if any of the grandkids ever pick up the addiction.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I believe I'm in the Enough Range:
    *1710 lbs in 6 lb ingots sorted by alloys
    * Over 14,000 cast lead bullets - naked and lubed
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    Here was a poll on Cast Boolits a few years back: Do You Have a Lifetime Supply?

I believe I have enough for myself and my son. I still collect it and have share it with those having trouble finding it. Around here, once lead goes into the junkyards, it never comes back out to the public. Somebody, somewhere will use what I have gathered and be grateful...I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by John Boy View Post
    I believe I'm in the Enough Range:
    *1710 lbs in 6 lb ingots sorted by alloys
    * Over 14,000 cast lead bullets - naked and lubed

Boolit Master

I'm not nearly enough. 3.5 years in. Just getting started. Added 110 pounds last week. Range scrap alloy. I have a few years on hand. Nothing close to a lifetime or posterity supply.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a little over 300 pounds of unprocessed wheel weights and range scrap.
    I need to get a bigger cast iron pot and a better propane stove so I can get this stuff turned into ingots.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    I've never cast a usable bullet or shot a cast boolit but I've read the handwriting on the walls here in NY. They don't want people to be able to have ammo or guns for that matter. They want background checks on ammo sales, registries of ammo purchases and keep introducing bills that would limit ammo sales to 20 bullets every 3 months. This is the reason I joined this forum, to learn about casting my own...
    I think just about every caster out my way (California) hears you loud and clear, NYfirefighter. It's not just that casting and loading your own saves money and allows you customized ammunition; it's also the independence it affords.

I am 63, probably have about 5gal worth as well plus a few 60# boxes of lino. Enough, depends on how much you shoot? I currently run about 9-10K rds a year. I don't even have time to cast that many bullets. (5) 5gal buckets would be about 700#, about 33,000 9mm/147, only 25,000 45/200. So about 3-4y worth? No, that is not enough unless I get hit by a bus in the coming months.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I think just about every caster out my way (California) hears you loud and clear, NYfirefighter. It's not just that casting and loading your own saves money and allows you customized ammunition; it's also the independence it affords.
    THis is even more true in California now with the new ammo laws. I wont play the stupid game. Background check to buy ammo is just the irritation. They now track how much you buy. Soon there will be a per round ammo tax & limitations on how much you may buy. I will have none of that & just make all my own practice & competition ammo. I have enough self defense ammo to last me another 10y minimum. By then I will have left this **** hole. At some point they will figure out we reload & come after us with licensing & no more internet buying, but I am probably stocked up enough to not care.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 09-29-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Edited for language
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Buddy
    I move mine around with a fork truck. At 67 I have enough. BUT, I still look for deals!

Never...particularly if you live in EU area...

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
    Never...particularly if you live in EU area...
    Soon in the EU area, all that lead will be unfortunately worthless.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Boolit Grand Master

When the wife , both kids , the dog and the cat have all moved out of the house because they can't get inside ... every horizontal place is stacked with lead from floor to ceiling . The garage is so full that the lawn mower and the car are parked outside ... and the TV film crew has you scheduled to shoot an episode , or three , of the TV show "Hoarders"... Then you might have enough !!!
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I told one of my friends a couple days ago that ten thousand pounds might be enough.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ThomR View Post
    I told one of my friends a couple days ago that ten thousand pounds might be enough.
    Nah, its hard to quit looking! Once you melt down a bunch of greasy, nasty, corroded scrap and get a nice pile of good shiney ingots its hard to ever quit!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast