MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataPBcastco
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast boolits won't size

Cast boolits won't size

I've been casting 44 mag boolits out of my NOE mold, and I'm having trouble sizing them. They are dropping at .433 and they will not size very easily down to .431. My lead is WW mixed with some antimony (15 bhn'ish). I have lubed the die and the boolit, but it takes considerable effort to size. I practically have to hammer it home with the press handle. Any ideas or suggestions?
    I was in the front row and I was HAMMERED DRUNK!

Banned
    First I'd check the size of a boolit you get through the sizer and see if it's coming out the proper size- you may have gotten a bad sizer

You could try polishing the sizer with 600 grit or finer sandpaper or polishing compound

.002 isn't a big reduction in size

Why so hard an alloy for the 44 mag? how fast are you planning on pushing them and are you gas checking them?

Are you lubing, tumble-lubing, powdercoating or HiTek coating?

what press and sizing die are you using or it it a lube sizer?

How long has it been since the boolits were cast?
    The longer you wait, the harder it will be.

I have to agree with both of the above posts.

A don't wait to size, do it right away.

B What are you using for lube?

C I would not think unless you are pushing those boolits very fast that they would need to be that hard.

Most of what I cast is roughly 50% COWW and 50% soft lead or range scrap which is pretty soft. If I want it a bit harder I just drop in a "coin" of pewter that I melted and poured into muffin tins. As thin as I could and still get a full circle.

Sometimes I grab a coin with pliers and only let half of it melt. Depends on what I am casting for.

Higher speed boolits, over 1400 fps with gas check I make a little harder just on general principles.

But I routinely size 3 thousandths with no fuss, certainly no hammering or jerking on press handle.

But I do not always size, if the boolit won't fit as cast, or bulges the brass, then I'll size it down to whatever is needed.

Also IMO rather than beating on the handle IMO it is better to extend it with a piece of pvc pipe.

I've seen pipe wrenches that were hammered on, they looked like heck and did not work well.
    But a 2' extention of PVC pipe has never damaged one of my wrenches. Just lets me apply more smooth pressure.

Boolit Master

I too am curious of the age of these bullets. My recommendation is to size them as soon as they are cool enough to handle. Maybe a little polishing of the sizer die.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

If its a Lee type sizer on your press, I do a little shake in a plastic tub with DAWN dish soap. Start sizing 4-5 soapy bullets and the switch to 1 soapy one every 5th or 6th one.
    If you shake out the soapy one onto a plate you can let them dry. No rinsing afterward necessary.

If you're using a Lube-Sizer, then coat a few bullets with bullet lube, using your fingers. That should get your sizing die lubed to start.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Hi all,

I made bhn 15 based off reloading data in my Lyman book. They suggest lyman #2 all the way up to linotype for 44 mag. I have tried sizing as soon as possible, no luck. I also made some boolits from my 11-12 bhn WW, they went through slightly easier, but not easy at all. I'm using NOE sizing dies, boolits are casting at .433 (sometimes .4335), and upwards of .436 after PC. I've used lube ranging from royal purple oil, various gun lubes. Really at a loss here. It's my first time sizing, and from everything I've read, it's really not that complicated. These boolits have no lube groove and are designed for PC or HTC.

Boolit Man
    I use a homemade Lanolin based lube that I spray on my PC cast bullets and mix together and size with lee sizer. I size after they cooled down. Sure makes them go through the sizer with little effort.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I've heard some folks size before PC and then after.

The only time I had a similar problem like this was when I made the mistake of casting some Lyman #454190's out of PURE LINO. Dropped at
    .456dia and I didn't bother to check as cast bullet diameter.

Waited 2 months, tried to size down to .452dia, then I checked size of bullet and hardness of alloy.

Sized the 300 bullets to .454 and shot them in my Friends 1st Gen SAA.

Why I empty the pot after every casting session. Can't rely on memory any more.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Perhaps the OP did not understand that the load data was developed with Lyman #2 for the alloy as a consistent condition.
    "I made bhn 15 based off reloading data in my Lyman book. They suggest lyman #2 all the way up to linotype for 44 mag."
    The next question, is this alloy hardness of the bullet after a few weeks of age hardening, or after water quenching? The grooveless bullets probably are harder to size because you are not able to displace any lead into the lube grooves. When sizing a grooveless bullet, you are forcing all the alloy to move and if you mic your bullets before and after sizing you will find the sized bullets longer. And possibly the bases are no longer square.

Boolit Buddy
    What firearm are these bullets for?
    Are these plain or gas check bullets?
    How are you testing these bullets for hardness?
    0.436'' after powder coating, and trying to size to 0.431'' is going to be a task.
    What press are you using?

I'm trying to size them to .432 for my Henry. These boolits are not water quenched and I'm trying to size them within 30 minutes of casting them. I have tried sizing as casted (.433) and after powder coating (.436). I'm using the pencil hardness method. Again, I've tried bhn 12 and bhn 15 with no luck. It's on a wimpy lee breech lock. Maybe I need more leverage? I bought this press after reviewing many videos of people using this for sizing. Seemed to be up to the task, but maybe not for my application.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

Is it the adjustable handle style press ? If so change the position of the handle so its so to speak in the power band area or adjust die so when bullet enters the die its not right at the top of the handle stroke more so at the end of the stroke. I think this may fix your problem.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Buddy
    Your press should be suitable.
    As Dusty says, with a groove less bullet, all the excess lead has to be pushed to one end of the bullet, which makes sizing more difficult.
    If the bullet is plain based, then you are not going to drive the bullet to maximum velocity, and you will not need a harder bullet, so forget adding antimony. You can try lubing the bullets with furniture polish before sizing, but it will affect the adhesion of the powder coat if not cleaned off completely.
    Maybe try one application of powder coat, then size, followed by additional coats as required.
    The only other option is to blend pure lead with your wheel weights for a softer and lower bhn bullet, which should also produce a smaller diameter bullet that would also be easier to size. Keep the velocity down to 1100fps and you might get away with it.

Banned
    real curious about this --- Measure a sized boolit and let us know what size the sizer is allowing through ---- could have got a wrong size/miss-marked sizer.

I have removed the wood ball from the handle of my "wimpy lee breech lock" and added an 18 inch pipe, helps with tougher sizing jobs. I've put some heft on the cheater bar on my "wimpy" breech lock press and it's still ticking (I'd guess) over 50,000 boolits later

I occasionally use either case lube (lanolin/alcohol) or boolit sizing lube to assist in sizing.

What powder coating are you using? It's possible that you're not knocking off all the excess PC and getting fatter boolits. Another possibility is your not making sure the mold is firmly closed when pouring and your getting fatter than normal boolits.

is the sizing die scaping any PC off?

we will figure it out.

BTW, I shoot full house mag loads in my 44 mag using COWW + 2% tin. Lyman calls for much harder alloy than is needed.

The last batch of 44 mag boolits I cast was at 10 BHN sized .430

Banned
    NOE sizing dies are not designed to allow you full cam-over power from your press.

What exact mold and sizing die numbers are you using. IF you don't use the alloy specified by NOE you will get boolits of a different size than specified

I'm using clear PC from powder by the pound. I ran some standard COWW w/no PC through a .431 (had to remove the die and finish driving it with a punch and hammer), and after wards it was reading .4315. Doesn't seem to make much difference if it's PC or bare. Sizing a bare cast boolit at .433 shouldn't take much effort to size down to .431. I'll have to keep playing around and see if anything helps. I can't imagine my lead is too hard even at 15bhn.

Boolit Bub
    1/2 doz drops Dawn and 1/2 doz drops of water over a pie plate of naked boolits works for me.
    I rinse mine well before PC.

Surprisingly enough, i tried my case lube (lanolin and alcohol), and they sized easier. Not great still, but manageable. I will also polish the die and see how that goes. I'll probably need to size and the PC from now on...

Boolit Master

http://hi-performancebulletcoatings.com/sizing-lube/

You can also pick up some Hi-Tek.

I've pretty much quit using PC.
    NRA Benefactor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast