Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: WTB: 50 caliber barrel and a Percussion Lock

Boolit Master

WTB: 50 caliber barrel and a Percussion Lock

I have decided to make a single shot percussion 50 caliber target pistol. Similar to those used one handed in the world championships. I have the wood and a set trigger and need the following:

- 50 caliber barrel with breech plug, it will be shortened to 16 inches or so. Sights do not matter as I can cut my own dove tails and have sights.
    - If a hooked breech I would need the tang also please.
    - Percussion lock, doesn't have to be pretty but has to work with no broken parts please.
    - If the barrel has a "snail" for inserting the nipple hopefully the threads will be good?

PM me or email me with what you have, I'll take a whole Hawken even if the price is right! I have a Hawken that I assembled from one of the first 1000 kits TC made so I don't want to use it.
    Thanks for looking
    John Rogers

Boolit Man
    I have a lot of muzzie parts. I'll check after work today and see if I can help you out. Does it need to be .50 cal?

Boolit Grand Master

If you are wanting a competition pistol you need to buy a NEW barrel with the proper twist. Thhe cheapie cva and such are all cut off rifle barrels and have a slower twist. I have tested 45 calibre barrels and found the best twist rate was between 1-16 to 1-18. Good pistols like the pedersoil are about 1-22 or so. You want nothing slower than that for light target loads. For hunting with heavy charges a slower twist will work.

Boolit Master
    I want to use 50 caliber round balls as all my guns except the slug guns and my chunk gun are 50 cal round ball. A new barrel would be nice but whatever I get will be cut to 16 inches or so. A twist rate of 1 in 48 is okay as the maximum distance we shoot is 50 yards and it has to be round balls. I figure 40 gains of FFG and probably patched .490 sized balls?
    John

Boolit Master
    I would look at Green Mountain for a barrel.

Boolit Bub
    I have a .50 barrel blank in a tube. It is not marked but think it a Green Mtn. kit barrel. If interested I will dig it out and email some photos and details. I also have a T/C barrel take off but its likely a .45. PM if interested. Have alot of LH rifle parts but no RH lock. Might have a blank to throw in if it would work.

Boolit Master
    Have a small percussion lock with fly in the tumbler, about 4 1/2 inches long, tapped for 8-32 screws. Not sure who made it but think it might have been for a Navy Arms 45 PA style rifle. Can't post pics but can send on my phone. No idea as to value. PM me you phone number if interested and will send pics.

Banned

I have a whole 50 cal Lyman Plains pistol fired maybe a dozen or so times. Priced at 225 to your door. Pm or email me if your interested.

Bill

Boolit Grand Master

I have a nice 50 calibre Green mountain take off from a rifle 1-48 twist $20 plus shipping cut to your dimensions.