RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tru-Line Jr

Boolit Master

I've been trying to get the 310 Shop to make me a set for 50-95 Win for a few years - I don't think that's going to happen. By the way, I just tried the 310 Shop website and it appears to have been removed. I'm beginning to think the rumors of his closing are actually true
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Oops, I forgot to say the catalog is 1970. Lyman is real big on not providing a list of available calibers in their catalogs or Handbooks. The early 1950's catalog, not the Handbook, is focused on sights and scopes, reloading tool get a brief mention in two pages near the back page. In catalog marketing the most popular items always go up front, first seen.

1970 was the first reference I have found to Special dies. I need to keep digging in an attempt to determine the end date.
    Thanks, now I know where to start digging in my pile to see whether I have such a catalog with any info on the special dies and tools that I missed seeing before. Ammo archaeology at its best!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

This thread made me spin my chair around and grab my boxed set of 45-70 310 dies and aluminium handles. The handles accept standard 310 dies. The 45-70 dies also have standard 310 threads.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

When I was a Kid, the Tru-Line Jr. Press was the first step up from the Comet singl stage. I was 10yrs old when I got to step up, .38Spl - lube, size, expand, prime, powder(#55), seat & crimp. It was so easy.
    One of those steps in growing up.
    Thanks for waking a Happy memory.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master
    I continue to hear more and more reminisces about the TruLine Jr and folks who used it... I think this whole aspect of reloading history that has been under appreciated for whatever reason. I’m proud to say I’m still a part of the mini-die minions!

Froggie

Banned
    Digging through the old Lyman catalogs, 1955 shows the 348 Win and 50-110 available in the 310 tool and the Tru-Line Jr with an asterisk. Meaning Special. The last listing for the 348 Win is in the 1971 catalog and only for the 310. This puts the 310 well into the aluminum frame era. And indicates there are some Jr's somewhere out there for the large dies.

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    When I was a Kid, the Tru-Line Jr. Press was the first step up from the Comet singl stage. I was 10yrs old when I got to step up, .38Spl - lube, size, expand, prime, powder(#55), seat & crimp. It was so easy.
    One of those steps in growing up.
    Thanks for waking a Happy memory.
    I still use that press to load 38 Specials. It is not the only press I use, but it is one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003 (480x640).jpg  
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SSGOldfart View Post
    Yep I think I still have that one,I have a. Turret that's cut for standard 7/8x14 dies,biggest problem is shell holders.I was going to make a adaptor to use everyday shell holders,just one project that didn't get off the ground.
    Do you think you could take some pictures of that large hole turret showing the top from both the side & from above & post them here?

I would appreciate seeing them if you can do so.

Thanks!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    Pictures for JB. Looking at the turret the eye cannot discern the difference in hole size, the same applies to looking at the dies. There is just enough difference that standard dies will snugly slip fit into the larger holes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7076.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	248401

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7070.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	248402

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the Pics, Pressman!

I was asking for a reason which I am not going to currently share in this topic, as it may stray the topic from what was intended.

Thanks for your help!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I still use that press to load 38 Specials. It is not the only press I use, but it is one.
    A favorite Uncle and his son loaded 30-06 for his pre-64 Winchester Model 70 with his TruLine Jr until he upgraded to the "new" All American and passed the TL Jr stuff on to me. That thoughtful little gift got Dad and myself started with reloading back in 1973. We started with a set of 38 Spl dies, and as many folks know, I branched off into 310 tools as well.

After using my TL Jr presses for a wide variety of calibers up to and including 32-40 and 45-70, I've now settled back to the original press from Uncle Paul with a set of 32 S&W dies mounted. I have to admit I "bulk" size and decap on a full size press, but then for the rest of the loading steps that little TruLine just seems right... size, scale, everything. I've got a bench loaded with presses and more sitting around waiting their chance to come out and play, but that first TL Jr is assured of its place right on the left hand corner where I can always get to it quickly.

I don't know about these special turrets like pressman uncovered, or the new custom 7/8X14 turrets, but that old original has a special place in my heart that is unlikely to ever be displaced.

Froggie

Banned
    Mr. Frog Person Sir, I began my reloading career with a 310 at age 17. When I saved enough money I moved up to the Tru-Line Jr as I had several die sets for it at the time. Though my dream press was the All American. Yes, I could have use the die adapters but decided against that.

Which brings me back to topic. I think, maybe there might be, I heard a rumor once, that there are 7/8"x14 die adapters for the large thread dies. Finding them would be just the cat's meow.

Ken

I started reloading in 1959 with a Pacific Super C. In 1965, I got involved in Bullseye pistol competition and wore out a Tru-Line Jr. loading 45 ACP and 38 Special rounds. I have two of them now, one set up for 45 ACP amd the other for 38 Special. I still like to play with them, but do most of my 45 loading on a Lyman All American turret and the 38s on a Redding turret.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Mr. Frog Person Sir, I began my reloading career with a 310 at age 17. When I saved enough money I moved up to the Tru-Line Jr as I had several die sets for it at the time. Though my dream press was the All American. Yes, I could have use the die adapters but decided against that.

Which brings me back to topic. I think, maybe there might be, I heard a rumor once, that there are 7/8"x14 die adapters for the large thread dies. Finding them would be just the cat's meow.

Ken
    Sing it again, brother. We both love the same song! There is a mighty chorus that all have the same tune, and surprisingly enough, it’s apparently getting bigger all the time.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master

I got one of the steel turrents for standard dies years ago off the guy on eBay who made them. Only problem is that it only indexes on every other hole!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Hey, I think I know where you got that press!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12