MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Something a little different

Boolit Grand Master

Something a little different

Attachment 248230Attachment 248231
    Here's something a bit unusual from Messieurs Smith and Wesson. It is a 3 inch model 60, that in itself makes it a bit unusual, but it came with a factory bobbed hammer that is DA only.
    Those of us who qualify as gray-beards can remember back in the 80's and 90's when S&W went through their "gun-of-the-month" period. New models and new versions of old models poured forth, with special orders on offer to anyone who cared to pony up the cost of making a few hundred. Well, an outfit called Michigan Police Supply coughed the cash for 2,000 of these in 1989, and they were for sale primarily to Police officers, but also to the public. Somehow, mine made the journey from Michigan to California and ended up in my possession for a paltry $400.

The action was a little bit rough at first, but 30 minutes or so once I got it disassembled with some polishing compound and 600 grit sand paper and I was quite pleased with the outcome. The old Hogue grips fit me well and it shot to limits of my ability to see the front sight in its only outing with me so far. I have applied some nail polish to the front sight in hopes of clarifying things a mite. Holsters are a special order item, unless, like myself, you make your own. It would make a dandy IWB carry piece, or a decent night stand gun. The longer barrel tends to tilt the grip in towards the body, reducing the tendency of the outline of the grip to print through a covering garment.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Attachment 248232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	248233
    For some reason the pics did not appear in my original post, though if you click on the attachments, they appear. I have had nothing but problems with computers the last few days, GRRR.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Another pretty Smith I wouldn't mind owning myself!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I like it, except for the bobbed hammer. I understand the concept, and I own 2 revolvers with bobbed hammers, but I REALLY like the option of shooting it single action as well as dual action.

Boolit Master

rintiglen, I came close to buying one of those for my wife a year or so ago. Her dad had a model 36 years ago that had a 3" barrel but I have no idea where it got too. The guy that had the 60 3" barrel wanted $1000.00 as his starting price but then came down to $950.00 but no lower. He claimed they were going for $1200.00 . That is one really nice revolver and yes, I would love to have one for her but until I find one at a decent price I will wait. I like the little j frames but people who have them tend to hang onto them. james

I wonder if that bobbed hammer, DAO iand Hogues are factory? A letter request might be in order.
    If so, this oculd be a keeper....not that it isn't already.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Those old model 60 S&W revolvers are good guns.
    I have one in 38special that sports at 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights.
    I like the idea of DAO for some carry situations but not all.

Boolit Grand Master
    According to the serial number, it was a 1989 gun, and it matches up with the description in the standard catalog for the Michigan Police Supply special order, the hammer is factory; I've seen them before. The chrome plating is pretty much a give away. But regardless, it is a neat gun. However, if somebody waves 1200 bucks under my nose, they'd not only own the gun but I'd throw in the holster as well. I have two 2 inch model 60's and can muddle along with those, if I have to.

Boolit Master
    I owned a 3" blue steel Model 36 Chief's Special with Herrett grips. I am still wondering whatever possessed me to sell that thing. It still had the hammer spur and single action option. I carried it off duty and as a back up on duty for about 5 years....In a moment of utter idiocy I let someone talk me out of it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Say Rich, That is my eldest daughter's house gun. It was a police trade-in she got when she was seven. 3", blue steel, 1/8 " sights, it is pretty darned good gun. Much easier to shoot well than it's 2", narrow sight, contemporaries. It has stood her in good stead for over 32 years.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-16-2019 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rintinglen, that 3” barrel on a Model 60 is such a great feature I just can’t give mine up. I’m not sure I would feel the same way about having the DAO feature... my Model 60-4 with adjustable sights and heavy, full under lug barrel gets a lot of SA time. However, I think as an EDC piece your lighter DAO should have a pretty good niche of its own.

BTW, that’s some sweet leather in the first pic. Would you mind sharing a source?

All the best,
    Your Friend the Frog
    Last edited by Green Frog; 09-15-2019 at 08:46 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I made the holster,. It was a booger hand-sewing the reinforcement/belt tunnel in place, but it came out nice. Were I to do it again, I would use a lighter Leather. This one was made from 9-10 ounce leather and that is too heavy for a pistol this light. 6-7 ounce would be a better choice. (But I didn't have any to hand). Sometimes you just gotta make do with what you have.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Very nice! S&W made a run of 637's with (I think) a 2.5 inch tube awhile back, I should've bought one.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I bought a 3" 36-1 nickeled that someone had actually Mag-Na-Ported. I put some Hogues on it and what a shooter! I don't particularly care for nickeled guns, but this one was cheap.
    It is my girl friend's bedside gun. I personally have put many thousands of rounds through it.
    I think the 3" 36 is really one of the best carry guns made. I have has a number of them over the years. Both 2" and 3". Even had the adjustable sight model for a while.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 09-23-2019 at 08:47 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

That’s a fine looking Smith. Nice job on the holster too Sir. Something to be on the look out for at the in state shows now.

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing. I had conversation ONLY in a gunshop way, way back, with owner ringing me that the Model 60 I had said I'd wish to own one had come in; he could have already sold it twice, but "it had my name on it" -- right to first refusal. I have NO recollection of saying more than it seems to be a great improvement over the fixed sight 2" model 60 -- but made the 25-mile trip to look at the Model 60 3" barrel with adjustable sights he had rung me about. It followed me home . My only "un-love" is the hammer which, for my body shape, is not all that conducive to concealed carry. Mine is S/n BNA6xxx. I had no idea a bobbed hammer version was out there, envying you, and wishing mine was as such.
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    Attachment 248232Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	248233
    For some reason the pics did not appear in my original post, though if you click on the attachments, they appear. I have had nothing but problems with computers the last few days, GRRR

Attachment 248762

Sure enough, Smith & Wesson made some revolvers as DA only and you have got a beauty in that 60. Those 60's are an investment. I found this orphaned model 64 at a gun show and no one wanted because they thought someone had ground the hammer spur off.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!