Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: 17 Hornet CZ 527 in Varmint or American configuration?

Boolit Buddy

17 Hornet CZ 527 in Varmint or American configuration?

I have been wanting to see my bullet hit and cannot with my CZ American 22 Hornet with my scope turned up above about eight power.

The CZ 527 Varmint is really a heavy sporter, more or less, but still I would really rather not carry a half pound if I don't need to. I have a buddy that just bought a 17 Hornet CZ Varmint, so I will be able to try that configuration out on my own... but if one of you has HONEST REAL WORLD experience, I would like to consider the American as it is my first choice.

Friends say: just load the 22 Hornet down and use lighter bullets in it - I shoot (with encouragement from the owners of the ranches) up the alley in a couple feedlots at chucks. Missing a chuck at sub 125 yards is not really a consideration, but my concern is that the 22 cal 40 gr Vmax tears adult chucks in two at those ranges and on smaller ones I am concerned about a large enough bullet fragment when a young tender chuck is hit.

Really, in all seriousness, I would feel much better starting off with a 20 gr bullet going 300 - 400 fps faster on impact. I am also concerned about the muzzle blast near market steers if I were to consider using my old 17 Rem UltraWildcat with 25 gr Hornaday HPs.

The last thing I need would be another rifle just to have something new and at this point in my life... I don't really want another rifle, but in this case I honestly think I have a real need for something that doesn't already reside in my three overfilled gun safes.

I have some EagleView Contender Barrel Stubs on order and CZ takeoffs in 22 Hornet (American) and 17 Hornet (Varmint) to build up a couple Contender barrels for my kids to shoot. And I don't want to wait, and wait, and wait for those stubs to finally come in before making a decision and even if I wait I still won't have a light weight barrel 17 Hornet to try on my own.

I was given a couple Contender Youth stocks many years ago (decades) so that when I finally settled down, got married and had kids...

The stocks have been gathering dust for twenty-five years and are finally going to be put in service when my daughter turns seven next year and those barrels are to be hers and her little sister's and brothers rifles as they grow out of their Jimney Crocket 22s.

These barrels are not mine and never were meant to be mine, they are THEIRS, they were bought for THEM. I firmly believe that children need to have an "ownership interest" in what is their equipment so that a sense of pride of ownership develops and when I take them out shooting I want them to say:: "this is my rifle" and I am going to beat you at your own game with MY rifle. And I want them to have the equipment to make that happen. I also want them to be able to honestly say: "this is mine." It is not mine, and I let them use it, it is theirs to shoot, to show off, and to clean before we lock them up.

I really want these barrels to be THEIR property, not something I let them use every once in a while. That is the way it is with my six-year old and her Jimney Crocket, she wants to go to the club the shoot HER rifle. Both of my other kids have their own Jimney Crocket a friend bought when they were born, and in the coming years I hope this becomes a pattern as they grow into them.

If that were not a consideration... that 17 Hornet Contender Carbine barrel would be all I would want. But if I am going to make a purchase, I want it to be a well informed decision that I base that purchase on. So, if you have experience regarding whether I can put a 6.5-20 or similar scope on a CZ 527 American in 17 Hornet and see my bullets impact with the scope turned up to 15-20 power I would very much like to consider what your experience has been before making a final decision.

Thank you
    Last edited by JDHasty; 06-24-2016 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    After typing this whole post, I see you are asking about the 17 hornet instead of the 22 hornet. Ok, I'm old. I am going to leave this post because it is about the CZ-527 American in A hornet and the rifle is EXTRORDINARY as far as performance goes. I will delete on request by the OP.

My CZ-527 American in 22 Hornet is without a doubt the single most accurate out of the box rifled I have ever had or shot. I have owned more than 100 rifles in the last 65 years and being a retired Army SGM, I lived with rifles for 23 years in the military.

The set trigger is the icing on the cake.

Use 13 gr of little gun (or 12.8 depending on the brass) and any bullet you want and this gun will SHOOT. Mine even loves the 34gr Midway Dogtown bullets. There is NO significant recoil and a hornet is NOT loud. I would not even consider loading it down unless you want to make a subsonic or a cb cap type load, then go ahead. For super quiet, I would consider a couple of grains of bullseye or even red dot. I don't think you can get in trouble with that.

My magazine is a little temperamental and won't ever feed 4 rounds without locking the rims. I have been told that this is fixed with a replacement (I just got a lemon).

I am using a 4x16 illuminated mil-dot retical scope. I like the green lit retical at dusk and dawn. I like the mildots to help me do non-click adjusted range changes.

Please consider this a VERY POSITIVE endorsement of the 527 American in 22 hornet. Note, my rifle is over 10 years old. I believe the 527 American in 17 hornet will shoot too.

thanks rch
    Last edited by rhouser; 06-27-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Aren't they just it? I have a long article I typed up on the CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and one day I will fire up my old computer and retrieve it and post it.

I have three 527 Americans and other than the magazines being temperamental... they suit me to a T. Since I use my single shot devices quite a bit, it isn't that big of a deal. I have been using a Remington R15 w/Geisele trigger for predators the last couple years, when I don't use a 22-250 or 243 788, so I guess can live with the magazine issues. There is a really nice 223 American sitting in a shop nearby for $450 and I have been kicking around picking it up.

Boolit Master
    527 American is a problem. Does one scratch the itch in 22 Hornet or .223 or even the .221 Fireball that I have read might be coming again? 223 in 1 in 9 twist or the Fireball would empty my wallet. Hornet would just make me drool while passing it up.

It seems the 223 can do everything the Fireball can do, but a Fireball would be fun.

Boolit Buddy
    1:9? If you have a rife already and friend with a lathe... a Varmint barrel could be turned down to the correct contour (go slow) and I have seen new takeoffs for as low as $50. Be sure to check with a go and no go gauge. Then have someone throw it in the tank when they are bluing. That hammer forged CZ barrel ensures a straight chamber. That is a big part of the accuracy CZ enjoys.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by PB234 View Post
    527 American is a problem. Does one scratch the itch in 22 Hornet or .223 or even the .221 Fireball that I have read might be coming again? 223 in 1 in 9 twist or the Fireball would empty my wallet. Hornet would just make me drool while passing it up.

It seems the 223 can do everything the Fireball can do, but a Fireball would be fun.
    CZ USA said that 221 is on the schedule for 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
    Aren't they just it? I have a long article I typed up on the CZ 527 in 22 Hornet and one day I will fire up my old computer and retrieve it and post it.

I have three 527 Americans and other than the magazines being temperamental... they suit me to a T. Since I use my single shot devices quite a bit, it isn't that big of a deal. I have been using a Remington R15 w/Geisele trigger for predators the last couple years, when I don't use a 22-250 or 243 788, so I guess can live with the magazine issues. There is a really nice 223 American sitting in a shop nearby for $450 and I have been kicking around picking it up.
    I would have a hard time passing up a $450 527 American. The Varmint version is for sure super nice and my choice if you tend to fire more rapidly.

Of course for a varmint round an option would be to put a White Oak Armament .204 Ruger barrel on your R15. Yeah the .204 isn't going to save powder over a .223 but it will sure launch that little .20 cal bullet flat and in a hurry.

Boolit Buddy
    I can't imagine burning the throat out of a 17 Hornet, so barrel weight is of no account on that basis. I have not ruined a 22 Hornet CZ barrel that I have shot at prairie dogs with and that is where I really shoot a lot of ammo up in a short amount of time.

I have a couple Colts and the R15, the Match Hbar and Competition Hbars are from when I used to shoot high power and I bought the R15 for a lightweight knock around predator rifle w/second shot capability.

When I bought the R15 I would have been satisfied if it shot 1.5 inch groups at a hundred yards, it does half that with boring regularity.

I hate retrieving brass in the field and would never consider an AR for a rockchuck rifle, even though I have a friend who lives at the local gun club and gives me a five or six hundred commercial cases every time the local law enforcement shows up to practice.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 06-29-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    CZ is importing the 527 American in 221 Fireball now. Whittaker has some for sale now and Elk County Outdoor and Kentucky Gun should have some very shortly. Time to start considering a scope and dies. Any ideas for a $300 or so scope that is small enough to not outweigh the rifle and powerful enough to make 100 yard groups easy to make tiny? I am a paper puncher at 100 to 200 yards.

I don't know how many Whittaker has and think the entire shipment might not have been huge so they should sell out fairly quick. Been waiting years for this one.

Boolit Buddy
    "Any ideas for a $300 or so scope that is small enough to not outweigh the rifle and powerful enough to make 100 yard groups easy to make tiny?"

Leupold 3-9 Compact AO

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/rimfireultralight-riflescopes/

It will cost you a bit more though, but not that much more

Boolit Master
    Yes, JD, a great suggestion. Have you any experience with Vortex scopes? Tomorrow the rifle gets to my FFL which is great. Didn't think I would see a 527 American in 221. The more I read about the Fireball the better it sounds.

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with vortex scopes. I also really like JD's suggestion of the loopy.

Boolit Buddy
    Vortex has been good to me, but I tend to stay away from anyone's lower end. I have 6x32 Viper binocs and Razor 85 spotting scope w/reticle eyepiece added to it.

Their customer service is as good as Leupold and Swarro, so I expect it will be so across the line of their products. They are sister company to Eagle Optics and that shows in how they deal pre sale and post sale.

Good folks, I have done business with them for a long time. They are not happy until you are happy, some others are not happy until they sell you something and then could not give a hoot in a barrel even though they lose a customer for life with that attitude. They don't care.

Boolit Master
    I am digging up an old thread. Did JDHasty ever get the 17 hornet?

Boolit Buddy
    If he did he never mentioned it. He has not posted since this thread.