WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Need recommendations for a large range bag

Need recommendations for a large range bag

My current range bag is dying. Holes in the seams and material from wear. It is less than 2 years old.
    I need a new one and would like to get something that will last a while.

I typically carry up to 5 handguns in their cases as well as assorted tools, hearing protection, and some extra magazines in it when I go to the range.
    The tools and hearing protection usually ride in side pockets.
    I need it to have at least one large pocket on the end that will hold printer paper targets that I make for myself.

I carry my ammo in a different bag.

What would you recommend?

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I bought my son the rolling range bag that the NRA sells.
    It has lots of room for multiple handguns, targets, hearing protection, etc.
    He loves it.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I bought one of Midway's Competition range bags.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689

I can attest, you can load these things up with so much stuff you can hardly carry it! Comes with ?2 pistol rugs, a "stage bag" and a spent brass bag. (price is pretty good for what you get)

I've since downsized to the range bag offered by Boyt, and have found it suits me a little better.

https://boytharness.com/product/plan...ies-range-bag/
    Bob

Banned
    I like the large "Husky" brand tool bags at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Steve in N CA

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I like the large "Husky" brand tool bags at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Steve in N CA
    I hadn't thought of using a tool bag. That opens up things considerably.
    I have some time this afternoon. I think I will go to a couple of large hardware stores and see what they have.

Boolit Master
    Pistols, hearing protection Glasses and the like go in a simple range bag and the ammo goes in a 50cal can for transport.

For the balance the kids got me one of these boxes for Christmas a few years ago. It was too light duty for "serious" tool work but perfect for packing up and moving about the balance of the shooting gear that I slug out to the range every trip.

https://www.amazon.com/Keter-241008-...6556687&psc=1#

I recently did a pass thru Lowes looking for a specific Craftsman tool box and they seem to have fallen in line with the plastic stackable craze. Bad new for what I needed but in line with this discussion.

Taz. If it's not to far above your price point and you have a canvas and leather shop in the area you might think of a custom bag made to your specs. Tin wear canvas and leather straps would last you on out most likely. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

I still use and prefer range pistol boxes. It mounts and carries your spotting scope, four or five handguns, tools, batteries, etc. they are extremely durable, protective, and good looking. What’s not to like?

Dale 53

Boolit Bub
    I have an older less "tacticool" one similar to this one that I picked up off of CL. Works well for me with 3-4 handguns when I head to the range.

https://www.amazon.com/UTG-All-Range...gateway&sr=8-8

Have a look at LAPG's Bail Out Bags? These bags are multi use bags and have many pockets as ell as a large storage pocket in the center. They are some of eh Best Made Bags I have seen and they will last along time.

I have several of these bags, and the way I do it is to set up every pistol with it's own bag with everything that goes with it so it is a "Grab and Go" package that has Loaded Magazines, Gun Belt with Holster and Mag Carriers, and all tools and extra stuff needed to keep that gun running. They are restocked every time I get back from a shoot.

I have one Black Bag (they come in @8 multiple colors) that has all my personal shooting stuff, like Hearing Protection, Shooting Glasses, Tools, and data books that go to every shooting venue with me.

So when I pack my car to go to a Three Gun shoot I have a Rifle in a case, a Shotgun in a case, and Pistol Bag, a bag with Rifle and Shotgun Ammo, and my Everything Bag.

I never arrive at the venue to find I've left anything behind! Equipment Organization is everything and at Sale Prices of $20 each these bags will easily outlive me and several of my friends. see links

Here some pics and a link to the site. https://lapolicegear.com/tabaoutbag.html

Or the larger "Jumbo Bag" https://lapolicegear.com/jumbo-bailout-bag.html

They come in a variety of colors to suit anyone. I have about 5 different colors for various uses.

I have used Lowes, Home Depot and Harbor Freight Tool Bags in the past but they all eventually wear out. The LAPG Bail Out bags will never wear out!

Here's some pics. Big Gray Bag is My Portable Reloading Kit which I have talked about extensively on this site. It is not close to being full.

Other bags left to right are Shotgun Ammo, Everything Bag, Glock 23 Bag, Glock 35 Bag. And there are several others not shown.

These bags are the best made "Multi Use Tool Type Bags" out there, and will definitely outlast any of us.

Hope this helps you figure this problem out.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-12-2019 at 06:18 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Everyone is going to have their favorite.

I have one of the old style Dillon range bags and it's still going strong after 20+ years of abuse (maybe 25 years).

I like that midwayusa bag from post 3, pbHurler. That looks a good "out of the box and ready to go" system.
    The idea of a tool bag is good but I'd like to have padded pockets for the guns.

I'm with metricmonkeywrench on the ammo going in a separate container. It's just easier than trying to squeeze everything into one really heavy bag.
    I gave up on 50 round cardboard or plastic boxes of ammunition many years ago. Handgun ammo goes loose into a 30 or 50 caliber size ammo can. During load development for handguns I might use a recycled cardboard ammo box with the plastic or Styrofoam insert but once I dial a load in, they just go into a marked ammo can. A silver Sharpie works fine to label the contents and a rag with some alcohol wipes the ink off if needed.

Once you separate the guns/magazines/hearing protectors/staple gun, etc. from the ammunition, the range bag gets a LOT easier to handle. A small amount of ammo in the range bag is fine but once you start putting hundreds of rounds in the range bag along with the guns and other gear, it gets out of hand.

I DON'T like bags with wheels on them, they are a PITA on anything other than a smooth hard surface.

Boolit Master
    Take a look at the "Milwaukee Packout" tote from Milwaukee tools. Hard luggage tote, 3 boxes, on its own 2 wheel dolly.

Boolit Master
    I use a large plastic tool box, not a bag. Plenty of room for tools in the tray, sandbags, handguns, ammo, cleaning supplies. It is 23" long by about 14"x12". I have been using it for 30 years and haven't wore a hole in it yet.

Boolit Bub
    The Husky tool bags are great. They would cost 3 times as much if they put Tactical on them.

Boolit Master

I went with a box, got tired of replacing bags. I have one for Ranges and one for hunting.
    1650 Pelican Case
    1630 Pelican Case
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11437_1_.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	250086
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Bub
    that will work.

Moderator Emeritus

I don't recommend anything -- Buuut, what has worked so well for me I purchased a second: The blue Ryobi bags tool assortments were purveyed in. I paid about $15.00 + s/h&tax on eBay -- total for the TWO less than US$50.00. I have one with Konus spotting scope, aluminum stand, and a couple of large Plano plastic boxes with stapler, staples, targets, spotters, etc., as well as safety glasses, shooting gloves, and hearing muffs. The second easily holds four cased handguns and enough ammo such that I've never run out. I've had these two or three years, and bion they wear as if brand new. Here's a photo:Attachment 250087 Three plusses, to me, is that these work and hold up; 2nd, their low price to obtain; and 3rd -- in back seat of car, or bed of capped pick-up, they do not cry out, "guns: steal me!".
    BEST!
    geo

Boolit Master

If I’m taking more than a single gun to the range I use a medium sized suitcase with wheels. I keep my handguns in carry cases to prevent scratches. Unless I’m keeping an oddball separate I just dump my brass in the suitcase.