MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $258 for a set of 310 dies on eNay

Boolit Master

$258 for a set of 310 dies on eNay

I just saw an auction on eBay for a set of steel 310 handles that take the adapter ring and a set of dies supposed to be in .45 Auto Rim with the box sell for $257 and change! I have to wonder if some of us here were in on the bidding for that set! It would have been a nice set to have for under $100 as far as I am concerned but I'm 77 years old and living in the past according to my wife. Heck, I think a pair of Levi's should be $10 and a can of beans about a quarter!

Boolit Master
    there is some fool that thinks he got a deal. best thing lyman could do is start making them again.

I would not wear levi's is you gave me $10. they are a large antigun out fit.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I wanted it up to the $140 mark , after that I just wanted to see how much the other guy wanted to pay . It is a hard set to find and had the steel tool that takes inserts so you can use it for multiple calibers .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to follow about all of the flea-Bay auctions involving 310 tools with near-religious fervor, and over the years managed to accumulate a nice variety of tools and dies. I now find myself with about all the sets I had dreamed of and more, and may even have to thin the herd a bit... I never thought I’d say that! I am gratified to see that the prices have gone up, so at least this will “soften the blow” when I do sell off a few. Most of the things I’ve thought would be neat to own haven’t experienced the growth in market value these items have... in fact, I’d be lucky to break even on a lot of this stuff!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I still have a few steel sets I want but nothing I can't live without . I just bought a like new steel .22 Hornet set off ebay for $69.00 to go with the K Hornet set I already had .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Southgate View Post
    I still have a few steel sets I want but nothing I can't live without . I just bought a like new steel .22 Hornet set off ebay for $69.00 to go with the K Hornet set I already had .
    Saw that I believe, and almost bid on it! Glad I stayed out and you got it for a reasonable price!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    Saw that I believe, and almost bid on it! Glad I stayed out and you got it for a reasonable price!

I do appreciate that ! I missed a steel .45 acp set on a buy it now foolin with the AR set , that hurt a bit since I could have had it for $90 . They are not as efficient as the other old stuff I load on but my Pap taught me to load on 310's so I will always own and use them as a connection to him if for no other reason . I had all of his sets but a dope head broke into the shop and stole them all so I have replaced them ( + ) and my Tru Lines as well as the #1 Lube/Sizer . Being sentimental ain't cheap !!

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought I “needed” a dedicated, marked steel set for every caliber I loaded. Then I discovered the steel transitional sets with two major upgrades, the ability to change adaptor collars and therefore calibers and (perhaps more importantly) the spring steel “foot” for the case head to bear against when sizing and seating and to take up wear when using the later style PC. I somehow doubt I’ll sell off my handles in hyphenated calibers (especially 32-40 and 45-70) but you never know. I doubt I’ll live long enough to wear out my brace of L and S steel transitional handles, especially since I’m often going “modern” with my TruLine Jr press for some of my loading duties.

It won’t be a fire sale by any stretch, but watch Swapping and Selling about mid November (just in time for Christmas shopping) when I’ve finished most of my shooting for the season and have time to sort some stuff out.

Froggie

Boolit Master

Truline JR is " the other old stuff " I was referring to . Till my dad died two years ago leaving me his stuff they and an All American were the only presses I ever owned . Started with them and just never felt the need to change . I do have an old single stage Hornady and 2 old CH swaging presses with .44 & .38 dies but they are near as old as the Lymans . I'll watch for your sale , mid November will be a good time for me to buy myself a birthday present .
    Last edited by Eddie Southgate; 10-10-2019 at 04:34 PM.

Boolit Master

The flip side of this high dollar coin is that today I bought a set of Tru Line dies for my .358 Winchester BLR for a whopping $3.75 and outbid five other bids doing it . The set needs a priming punch ,shell holder , and one lock ring but I already have extras of all three . Need a depriming rod for one of my .38 sets so I'm back to ebay .

Goes to show some folks have more dollars than Cents(sense).
    Leo

Boolit Master

Kind of reminds me of the guy that was on there about 5 years ago buying common Lyman moulds for astronomical prices. Wish I could have sold him some of mine./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Grand Master
    It’s a fact of economics that when anything is discontinued, the perception among some customers is one of immediacy.. ie, there are no more being made so I must get mine ASAP! Sometimes this leads to panic buying and ridiculous prices.

Until our happy little band and a few others like us got all excited about the 310/TruLine stuff, it was pretty much ignored... very few people were interested it at all. But because of their discontinuation by Lyman, and conversations like this one, “collectors” who can’t even spell 310 are now fighting to get theirs before they are “all gone.”

I got and kept this stuff over the years because it was handy and economical. What I’m actually not ever going to use and the really rare and now overpriced stuff may just have to help pay off my mortgage!

Froggie

back in the 60's a pair of levi's cost $4.15 including Tax in San Francisco of all places

Banned
    I had to delete a thread in another post that linked to an Ebay page showing all the 310 tools and dies on the site. Normal price for early sets was 250. One set in 375 H&H was 2000.00. Very little under 100, then it was mostly individual dies.
    Looking like Ebay resellers are ruining the market.

Boolit Grand Master
    Isn’t that the way these things go, Ken? There will be a few who are genuinely interested in something “just because” but as more people start chasing after a finite number of those somethings, you get collectors who want one of each then investors who see the opportunity to make a profit off of the interest. Sometimes the higher prices become the new norm, other times there is a boom and bust cycle. The trick is being and early accumulator before the collectors arrive, then selling out before the bust and moving on to the next “new thing.”

Overall in my life I’ve generally seen the excitement near the peak and tried to buy in when it was too late to pick up the bulk of the “future bargains.” Glad I don’t “need” that $2000 set of 375 Ouch & Ouch dies... I don’t foresee me owning a gun in that caliber!

Froggie

There is a guy on there now with a set for 308. Asking $210. It has the alloy handles and the box looks kinda beat up.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman's last price was something like $79 or $89 for a set of handles and the same for a set of dies before they discontinued the last of their offerings, IIRC. I honestly think they wanted to stop making those odd ball tools and dies in odd sizes so they just kept jacking up the prices and lowering availability until they could kill off the line. This is MY HUMBLE OPINION, not information from the factory, but it sure seems that way.

Froggie

Boolit Master

I would say it is not the sellers who are ruining the market , but it is the buyers with too much money.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Just got a set of 310 dies in box for 8mm Mauser for $19.00 and reasonable shipping so there are still deals to be had but you have to look constantly . Got a steel 7mm set the other day in like new condition for less than $120.00 . Still looking for an affordable 38-55 set .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast