Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Savage 220 slug gun

Boolit Master

Savage 220 slug gun

I don't think it likes me.

Bought it new, replaced the plastic stock with one from Boyd's. Glass and pillar bedded. Redfield Revolution 3x9 scope.

Ammo tried..slugs,
    Winchester
    Hornady
    Federal
    Remington
    ...and various loads of my own.

I cannot get a group, not even at 50 yards. Everything acted like a bad scope. So I returned it to Leupold. On return, they said it was good and had given it a good going over. No change at all in getting a group to adjust off of. When I got it back, I centered the cross hairs and laser bore sighted at 75 yards.(that's how far it is to the tree).

The rounds won't stay together, left-right-up-down. All over the place. I still think it may be the scope. But..really am at a lose. Guy's I'm all ears, Any ideas?
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Banned

Make sure your scope base is mounted solid. Savage had a problem a couple years ago where the bolts were too long on the front base holes and were screwed down onto the barrel threads. They would not let the base get screwed all the way down. Was not Savage fault it was the base makers fault for supplying bolts that were too long. You had to grind or file the threads down a couple threads and then it was fine.

After that and it is not the reason then you need to find someone else to shoot the gun. These guns are not for everyone. Most can not shoot them right as the recoil is so harsh.

Boolit Master

I don't have an issue with the recoil. The base mount screws are right. I did have someone else shoot it. I have taken it apart a dozen times. Checked and re-checked all the screws. Currently I have switched it back to the original stock. Just trying to eliminate all the possible issues I can. It just don't like me. Frankly, I don't know what else to do.

Boolit Master

Taylor,
    I bought one several years ago and it was a dream from day one. I also bought a savage a22 magnum about the same time and it was a nightmare. Here are some suggestions you may find helpful.
    1) Take the bolt out and study the barrel in good light. Look for leading from some home grown slugs and plastic residue. Whether you see any or not give the bore a good scrubbing with solvent until it is perfectly clean.
    2) While the bolt is out slug your barrel from the muzzle end by using a piece of soft lead like an oversize fishing sinker and a wood dowel. If you can't measure accurately any machinist with a micrometer can.
    3) Order some of the 3/4 oz slugs that Uncle Dino (fury custom bullets) makes, they're inexpensive and very accurate. Proven killers by yours truly. The plastic base is several thousandths larger than the lead slug and that is what takes the rifling. https://www.furycustombullets.com/we.../shotgun-slugs
    4) As others have said Remove the scope and start over. Remove the rail and make sure it is fastened securely with a drop of blue locktite. Do you have a scope from another weapon you can try? When reinstalling scope double check that bases are fitting properly on the rail and very tight. Are your rings in good shape? Does the scope sit flush in them? Are the locking screws all good with no stripped threads? Are they tight enough? Don't mean to offend, just that sometimes it pays to double and triple check.
    5) I bought a cheapola laser bore sight and it works well enough. Run your crosshairs to the limit both directions and find the middle before adjusting to laser dot. Are you using an immovable rest to adjust the scope?

If you have already done all these things and the bore seems normal I would tend to agree it is the scope. Good luck and let us know what you find.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

OOPs, I was writing after you posted last! Try another scope before you sell it!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master

Are you using individual front and rear scope mounts or a single scope base?
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Master
    Did you shoot this gun before you replaced the stock? All the 220's I know shoot great with the Hornady SST slugs. Are you shooting from a bench, sand bags, off hand? Those guns don't have great recoil but if something like the rings or mounts aren't holding tight enough it would cause issues.

Boolit Grand Master

I would take the much easier route. Call Savage, put the original stock on it, and ship it to them. They are a good company that will either fix or replace it.

Moderator Emeritus
    My savage 20 shoots very well. I use Rem Accutip slugs. I would try another scope as was suggested.

With all the loads you have tried, you may have leaded the barrel, so give that a good cleaning. It can make a huge difference in accuracy. Some slugs don’t use a sabot and are cast really soft so it is easy to get leading. The Accutip has a sabot so it can’t lead.

Boolit Master

Hogtamer, I have already done everything you have suggested. And I mean all of it. I have 2 separate bases and rings. Yes they are clean fitting and tight. I am shooting from a bench with a rest. I shoot 3 rounds and let it cool.

I don't get offended Hog, especially when I need help and ideas to at least make some progress. So anything you offer, I will try or have already..thanks.

I never fired the gun with the oem stock. I went straight to a Boyd's. I have switched back, but won't get to the range 'til Tuesday. Deer season opens this Saturday on Fort Campbell. I do have my muzzleloader and 12 ga ready to go.

The only other thing I haven't done is change scopes.

Store bought slugs ain't cheap.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190611_083511.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	248206 My very first 3 rounds down range. Man...was I happy. Then everything went to pooh.

Boolit Master

Gotta be the scope brother. If you don't have another laying around go kill that big buck Saturday then try the one off your 12 ga. next week and let it rest until then. If you buy a new one consider the Nikon slug scope dedicated for shotguns. I had 3 different scopes on 12 ga shotguns that wouldn't perform before I settled on that one. Good luck with the 220 and Saturday too!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Sock in stock full of loose shot makes a MUCH nicer gun out of them. Remington slugs are recommended for them by people on line..

Boolit Grand Master

Here is a quick idea if you are willing to try. Bring a real sturdy rest like a lead sled or similar. Take the bolt out and sight down the bore. Carefully put the bolt in and a slug and fire. Repeat 3 times. If it is any semblance of a group, repeat. If it's good a second time, you know your scope is trash.

Boolit Master

I use a lead sled thingy, just to help with the elimination of problems. Thing is too, I had sent the scope back to Leupold, they said nothing wrong and returned it to me. I like that idea mega, put that on the list of stuff to try.

Granted guy's, I may not be the best shot in the world. But I know I ain't the worst.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Gotta be the scope brother. If you don't have another laying around go kill that big buck Saturday then try the one off your 12 ga. next week and let it rest until then. If you buy a new one consider the Nikon slug scope dedicated for shotguns. I had 3 different scopes on 12 ga shotguns that wouldn't perform before I settled on that one. Good luck with the 220 and Saturday too!
    I have several Nikon Pro Staffs on my 12ga's they are great

Boolit Master
    Maybe you got a lemon I don’t know . I can however tell you my 220 has an older Leupold Vari XII 3-9 on top and with the Remington 2 3/4” AccuTip slugs it’ll shoot three in a ragged hole at 100 yards if I’m doing my part . I will say the one I have is one of the first as I got this gun before they had them in their catalog .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Remington Accutip are the slugs of choice for Savage 212's & 220's.

Send it back to Savage.

I would put it in the safe until after deer season.

BB

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast