Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Savage 220 slug gun

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yep, I was referring to the old tascos. I had a 4x from the 80's still going strong I gave to my cousin and a 1x75x6 pistol optic I paid $165 that was stollen I really liked.

Boolit Master

My Savage ain't up and running, but I did take a doe yesterday with the Mossberg. Meat in the freezer.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Buddy

I also recommend accutips.
    When you say slugs are they sabots, foster or brenneke?
    Congrats on the doe!

Boolit Buddy

Forgot to add.
    I have a 220 that I run a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9 x 40 on and several 100 rounds down range with no issues.

Boolit Master

Full bore Accurate mold.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Randy Fritz from Tarhunt got a hold me last year to help him promote this custom barrels for the 220. He said that he received a lot of complaints about the slop in 220 barrels, especially the older models. He ran a dial bore gage in random 220 barrels and found high and low spots among the lands and grooves.

His solution was to build a custom barrel made to exact SAAMI specs with extremely tight tolerances. He offered to outfit my 220 so I jumped at the opportunity to send it in.

I haven’t had a chance to really put the new barrel through the ringer, but I like what I see so far.

Perhaps you have one with a bad barrel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarhunt's barrels are made by Shaw and they will be excellent.

I don't understand why Taylor doesn't just send his gun back to Savage? If it has a bad barrel or some other problem It would get fixed for free as opposed to paying someone to do it.

After looking at his targets it appears that the one full bore accurate slug works really well. As such, I'm inclined to think the problem is ammunition related. Most of the others are all over the place, and this isn't the first time we've seen this type of performance. Slugs seem to either work or not..

I have not gotten any good results shooting anything but Full Bore Slugs or Sabots (STI) from my Rifled Barrels. I doubt many others have either. It has been my experience that anything that is not picking up the rifling in a proper manner (IE; slug contacting Rifling directly) is going to spray shots willy nilly. Trying to shoot the Lyman slug and Lee 1oz Slug thru my rifled barrels was a waste of time, however they performed pretty well from the Smoothbore Buck Special barrel and the Vang Comped M500 barrel..

This is why I suggested using some Lightfield Slugs in his gun. It would provide a baseline load that would eliminate ammunition from the mix so that other issues could be resolved. As you know Lightfield is closely associated with Tarhunt and their products have been proven performers in Savage Slug Guns. Once you got a load that works then you can compare that to others and work up other loads since you'll know what to expect as far as the gun is concerned.

My .02 on this subject.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Tarhunt's barrels are made by Shaw and they will be excellent.

I don't understand why Taylor doesn't just send his gun back to Savage? If it has a bad barrel or some other problem It would get fixed for free as opposed to paying someone to do it.

After looking at his targets it appears that the one full bore accurate slug works really well. As such, I'm inclined to think the problem is ammunition related. Most of the others are all over the place, and this isn't the first time we've seen this type of performance. Slugs seem to either work or not..

I have not gotten any good results shooting anything but Full Bore Slugs or Sabots (STI) from my Rifled Barrels. I doubt many others have either. It has been my experience that anything that is not picking up the rifling in a proper manner (IE; slug contacting Rifling directly) is going to spray shots willy nilly. Trying to shoot the Lyman slug and Lee 1oz Slug thru my rifled barrels was a waste of time, however they performed pretty well from the Smoothbore Buck Special barrel and the Vang Comped M500 barrel..

This is why I suggested using some Lightfield Slugs in his gun. It would provide a baseline load that would eliminate ammunition from the mix so that other issues could be resolved. As you know Lightfield is closely associated with Tarhunt and their products have been proven performers in Savage Slug Guns. Once you got a load that works then you can compare that to others and work up other loads since you'll know what to expect as far as the gun is concerned.

My .02 on this subject.

Randy
    My experience mirrors this somewhat! My Mossberg 500's rifled bore wouldn't group inside of 5-6 inches until I paper-patched the projectile up to .746". That squeezes the bejeezers out of a Federal 12S3 wad, but, the load puts 5 shots, touching, into a 2" group @ 50 yards! In my case the .662" RB was encased in a wad (sabot) but needed the extra diameter to grip the rifling securely. And, yes, I was a bit nervous about pulling the trigger on that first round.......Gotta' love it!
    Last edited by centershot; 10-20-2019 at 01:02 PM.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234