Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: The Mad Monk Files

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)

The Mad Monk Files

If anyone is interested i got all the original Mad Monk pdf files on the holy black and put them here for download: http://www.filedropper.com/madmonkfilescomplete

The site http://www.laflinandrand.com/page2.html died some three years ago

Moderator Emeritus

I tried twice to download. First time took me to Allivet pet site. Second time an advertisement came up looking for me to join for a fee. Just sayin. Maybe doesn't like an old IPad.

Your download site does not work for me ...

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I downloaded it around the time you posted, but was unable to reply until today.

I have not yet tried to open it, but plan to sometime in the near future.

Thanks again for your efforts to share!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Is this better?

https://gofile.io/?c=7AT9qD
    Last edited by 17nut; 09-13-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Maybe not, my Norton blocked it.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyReel View Post
    Maybe not, my Norton blocked it.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Mine too ; )
    H/D

No problem hit download file button in middle of page and it stared just now. 98.8 mb .rar archived file maybe why Norton blocked it. ".rar" is like a zip file.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Quote Originally Posted by 17nut View Post
    Just fine !

Thanks

Moderator Emeritus

Gonna have to try it on a real computer. With the IPad I get about a quarter of a circle just spinning. Been like that since yesterday. Tried it again just now and same thing.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    The download file has an 'rar' extension and can opened with WinZip

https://srv-file6.gofile.io/download...20complete.rar
    Regards
    John

17Nut ... send me your email address. I have all of Bill's file in 'wpd' format that can be converted to 'doc'. In addition I have all of my private conversations with Bill ... The Mad Monk
    Example:
    GOEX CTG Powder
    After 20 years of having the U.S. black powder market to itself suddenly in 1993
    Goex was looking at two foreign produced powders coming onto the U.S. market. Those
    being the 1993 shipment of WANO and the 1993 shipment of Elephant.
    At the same time the black powder cartridge shooters and the single-shot rifle
    shooters had been on something of a nostalgia kick. There was a good bit of discussion
    of the old Curtis and Harvey #6 powder that was mentioned in late 19th century writings
    by shooters of that time period. Discussions on grain sizing, moist burn and little bore
    fouling. Most of what was discussed was pure conjecture fortified by a few who had shot
    more recent C&H production made prior to 1970. Small amounts of which found its way
    into the U.S. by way of Canada.
    Late in 1994 there were rumors that Goex was working on a black powder
    produced specifically for cartridge shooters. Entering the market early in 1995.
    The following article appeared in Blackpowder Hunting magazine.
    Blackpowder Hunting
    Spring Issue, 1995
    Pages 32 & 33
    Traditions in-line rifle and GOEX cartridge blackpowder
    Check out the new Traditions in-line with GOEX cartridge blackpowder for a winning
    combination.
    By John Goodwin
    I’ve been wanting to try some of the new Goex Cartridge blackpowder and
    decided to wring out the Traditions in-line with this new powder. I contacted Mick
    Fahringer at Goex to find out what makes the new powder different from standard grade
    blackpowder. He told me that for years Goex has been in the process of developing a
    new generation of blackpowder and the new cartridge powder was the first introduction
    of things to come. Mick said that special additives have been included in the new powder
    and it showed less and softer fouling, adding more shots between cleaning and making for
    easier cleaning. The velocities were slightly higher without increased pressure. A feature
    the blackpowder cartridge shooters are raving about.
    The granulation size is, for the lack of a better term, 2-1/2 G and seems to have a
    bit more luster to it.
    Mick went on to say that before long all Goex blackpowders will have the new
    additives, but could not give any definite date when they will be available to the public.
    At this point in time Mick Fahringer had been at Goex’s Moosic, PA black
    powder plant since 1993. His father, Frank Fahringer had been running the plant for
    close to 20 years. His health was beginning to fail so he brought his son Mick into the
    operation with the idea of retiring in a few years.
    We are looking at a point in where the fast-buck artists were starting to take over
    portions off the black powder shooting market. The idea being that the inclusion of hightech
    additives could change a product and all of the problems normally associated with
    that product would be in the past.
    The author of the magazine article states, based on his contact with Goex, that this
    new cartridge powder has special additives to give reduced fouling and soft fouling. That
    eventually all Goex powders would use this new technology that Goex had worked on for
    some years.
    The author of this paper had been investigating black powder for about 10 years at
    the time Goex introduced the cartridge (CTG) powder. Looking at potassium nitrate
    purity and its effect on the finished powder along with various types of charcoal. Making
    small batches of charcoal and looking at charcoal properties versus what was required in
    different types of black powder. Working along with Ron Grosvenor who lives in
    Australia.
    Late 19th century writings on small-arms black powders described some powders
    as being “moist-burning”. In German writings it is seen as “Nass Brand”.
    Nothing in the writings described how this moist-burning property was produced
    in the powders cited as being moist-burning.
    How this moist-burning property is produced in a powder was a great mystery.
    Then this author stumbled onto the “secret” while running solvent extractions on charcoal
    samples prepared in a laboratory. The mystery component of the charcoal being found
    during an acetone extraction of a batch of Black Alder charcoal. This mystery component
    then being identified as creosote.
    When wood is charred the phenolic-structured lignin is broken down into a series
    of phenolic-structured chemicals. The most abundant in the charcoal being wood
    creosote. Readily soluble in acetone.
    As long as the charring temperature is not allowed to rise above 320 degrees
    Centigrade the creosote will be held in the charcoal. As the charring temperature rises
    above 320 C the creosote will be flashed off and carried out the vent with gases leaving
    the charring vessel. By 350 C all of the creosote will have been driven out of the char.
    Laboratory work showed that when charred under the ideal conditions Black
    Alder wood would produce about 8% of creosote by weight of char. Maple wood when
    charred would yield about 6% of creosote by weight of char.
    When you burn a solid form of carbon there is almost no water produced during
    the combustion of the charcoal in the powder. When liquid hydrocarbons burn they
    usually produce some water as a product of combustion.
    To prove or disprove this theory, creosote was extracted from samples of
    charcoal. Added to powders and shot in a gun. Without the addition of the creosote the
    powders produced a dry fouling. With creosote added to the same powder the bore
    fouling would feel moist and oily.
    When the Swiss powder arrived on the U.S. market some of it was extracted with
    acetone and shot in a gun along with un-extracted powder. Velocities were identical. But
    the acetone extracted powder sample gave a dry fouling in the bore while the un-extracted
    powder gave the desired moist-oily fouling.
    While the author was working on this aspect of charcoal properties he passed the
    results on to a man who was a curator at the Hagley Museum And Library. Who also
    doubled as a technical advisor to Goex as long as Goex continued to operate the Moosic,
    PA black powder plant formerly owned by duPont. Technical backing from the Hagley
    Museum And Library was part of the sales agreement when Gearhart-Owen purchased the
    business from duPont. The Hagley Museum And Library having been set up by duPont.
    In passing my work on to the gentleman at Hagley there were no restrictions
    placed on who he could pass the information onto.
    So around 1990-91 the information on the creosote in the charcoal being the key,
    or secret, to a moist-burning black powder was passed onto Goex at Moosic.
    When the first production run of the CTG was released to the public it drew a
    number of comments. Some from those in black powder shooting that I had also shared
    my findings with. When one opened a can of the CTG powder and took a whiff of what
    was in the can the nose was assailed with a strong odor of creosote. But not the type of
    creosote produced by the burning or charring of wood. The type of creosote used as a
    wood preservative that is derived from petroleum.
    As one buckskin clad grizzled buckskinner was heard to comment. “What are you
    guys using for charcoal these days, old railroad ties?”
    Whereas the creosote obtained from wood distillation is a bonus in charcoal
    destined for use in black powder the petroleum derived creosote has something of an
    opposite effect. It will not promote moist-burning in a powder and will contribute to a
    tar-like bore residue in the gun.
    Goex quickly pulled the creosote out of subsequent production runs.
    That ended the idea of any high-tech magic additives in black powder.
    Then there were also claims regarding a new grain coating that would act to
    improve the accuracy of the powder when shot in a gun.
    A quick look at powder grains under the microscope showed that the CTG powder
    actually had two coatings of graphite on the grains. To look back at the magazine article
    quoted in the opening of this paper. “The granulation size is, for the lack of a better term,
    2-1/2 G and seems to have a bit more luster to it.
    This two items sort of go hand in hand.
    One part of the author’s project involved looking at powder grain edge round and
    grain surface smoothness. How well a black powder is “polished” will promote better
    accuracy. That is not to say that a poorly polished powder cannot be made to shoot
    accurately. Just that the shooter has to work harder at getting the powder to shoot
    accurately.
    When one looks at a can of black powder, at the grain size designation, there will
    be a small “g” behind the letters F.
    Some will tell that this “g” stands for graphite, or graphite coated grains. Another
    person will tell you that it stands for “glazed” powder. But then they will also think that
    the graphite coating on the powder grains is the glaze.
    The glaze forms on black powder grains when they are dried and polished in a
    polishing barrel. A large mass of grained powder tumbling in a rotating barrel. Pressure
    and friction rounds the grains’ edges in addition to smoothing and compacting the
    surfaces of the grains. This thin skin, or glaze, that is formed on the surfaces of the grains
    influences the rate at which the charge ignites. Heavier glazes giving slower more
    uniform flame spreading through the charge.
    So the high-tech grain coating that was also claimed for the CTG powder is
    nothing more than a second coating of graphite applied during a second trip through the
    polishing barrel.
    Graphite coatings are used to keep powder grains free flowing. Without any
    graphite on the surfaces the grains will begin to slowly bond together during storage even
    when the powder is dry.
    In looking at various lots of CTG from the Moosic plant the CTG was consistently
    finer than the regular 2Fg production. If you passed them through a 20 mesh screen you
    normally saw about 5% more of the CTG passing through the 20 mesh screen. In
    addition, under the microscope, the CTG would be more rounded and with smoother
    grain surfaces. This suggested that CTG was nothing more than regular 2Fg place back
    into the polishing barrel for a bit of extra rounding of grain edges and smoothing of grain
    surfaces and then a second coating of graphite applied. The first coating of graphite is
    somewhat dull in appearance while the second coat takes on a silvery sheen.
    What we see in the original claims made for the CTG powder is a powder
    manufacturer that does not understand the technology of the product they are producing.
    This is typical of the black powder manufacturers around the world. They produce
    powder the way they have done for long periods of time. But lack a basic understanding
    of the finer points in powder manufacturing. Shooters think that the various black
    powder manufacturers have a good understanding of the technology of black powder
    manufacturing which is simply not true.
    CTG sells for a dollar a pound more than the regular production powder and think
    they are getting a premium powder. The CTG never really took over the market for black
    powder cartridge shooting.

I found Goex Cartridge to be the best Goex FFg grade powder they ever made and cleaned out my supplier's conex of every can he had.

Also, Bill mentioned to me the C&H (Curtis's & Harvey) made it's way into the US. I struck a 'LARGE mother load purchase' of Meteor and did a very detailed analysis comparison of a given sample of C&H Rifle Powder to my Meteor FFg. And proved within 99% that Meteor powder is the last of the C&H powder made in Ardeer, Scotland. The analysis is posted on the ASSRA forum
    Last edited by John Boy; 09-15-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Regards
    John

The download file has an 'rar' extension and can opened with WinZip

https://srv-file6.gofile.io/download...20complete.rar
    Regards
    John

On my Mac it would not open the file as it is RAR but 'Unarchiver' did the trick when I had downloaded it. https://theunarchiver.com

Bill Knight files from my computer sub directory. Open up the link below and let me know how the FireFox Download works ... 247 MB of files

https://send.firefox.com/api/download/79668b15a102ed16

Receive files

You don't need a Firefox Account or even Firefox to receive files using Firefox Send.

Click the link to download the files.
    Enter a password if required. ... Is no password
    Click the Download button.
    I have not tested this capability so ... Good Luck
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    My I-phone said unauthorized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Maybe with laptop

Boolit Master

Enjoyed reading about Goex above.

Boolit Grand Master

My iPad said 'unauthorized' as well.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Man
    Thank you, John Boy. Your .rar link in post #13 worked fine for me, unpacked w/ 7Zip to 22 files [2 of which named L&R Smokeless were the same name, but of wildly differing file sizes.] I'm pretty certain I had saved those files on an old computer years ago when they were available from the L&R site that has since gone away, but that thing died and I never have gotten around to pulling out the hard drive and extracting anything of interest. What can I say? It's been a busy decade... Much obliged!